2011 Position Battles. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011 Position Battles.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011 Position Battles.

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:19 am

wrveres wrote:Updating a previous item, Kansas City Royals 3B Pedro Feliz will make $800,000 and can earn an extra $200,000 if he makes the major league roster, according to The Kansas City Star's Terez A. Paylor. Feliz will compete with IFs Mike Aviles, Wilson Betemit and Mike Moustakas.

Just give the job to Moustakas already

99.9% chance that Mous isn't up until June. They need to see if Getz is really as bad as he played last year and if Betemit is really as good. No reason to push Moose's arb clock up when he only got 200 PAs last season against watered down year-end AAA pitching and is 22 years old. Feliz is just an insurance policy if there are Spring Injuries to make sure Moose starts in AAA.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-Chad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Curious to see how 2B and 3B shake out in Colorado with Ian Stewart, Jose Lopez, Ty Wigginton and Eric Young Jr. all around. I'm starting to think EY Jr. is viewed as a super utilitiy type, but man he had the look of a solid top of the order bat before last year, would be a shame to totally dismiss him IMO.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:41 pm

B-Chad wrote:Curious to see how 2B and 3B shake out in Colorado with Ian Stewart, Jose Lopez, Ty Wigginton and Eric Young Jr. all around. I'm starting to think EY Jr. is viewed as a super utilitiy type, but man he had the look of a solid top of the order bat before last year, would be a shame to totally dismiss him IMO.

Me too. I think Jose Lopez definitely plays somewhere against lefties (as does Wiggington), but what do they do against righties? I think Stewart will get most of the 3B ABs, and that Lopez will probably do the same at 2B, but I'm not willing to bet on it in any but deep mixed or NL-only leagues (where I think Lopez is a great sleeper... could he hit 30 HR playing full time in Colorado?).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dAnzac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:10 pm

wrveres wrote:With Daric Barton entrenched at first base and Hideki Hatsui arriving to be the DH, the only spot in the A's lineup for top hitting prospect Chris Carter will be one of the corner outfield positions that are currently occupied by David DeJesus and Josh Willingham, notes Jane Lee of MLB.com

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/athletics/detail?entry_id=81864

As for Carter, Director of Baseball Operations Fahran Zaidi told scout.com's Melissa Lockard in an interview (subscription) that the plan is to start him in Sacramento:

Going out and getting David DeJesus and Josh Willingham is not an indictment of what we think of Chris Carter. He's a guy who is still very much a part of our long-term plans and a guy we are still very much excited about. We just think that he could use a little more seasoning after hitting .258 in Triple-A and if he pounds down the door and does great in Triple-A, he's going to be a big part of this team next year.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:42 am

No real positional "battles" going on for the Tigers right now... but I'm curious to see how Guillen's inevitable extended time on the DL will play out for 2B Rhymes/Sizemore.

And with a gaping hole in LF, it'll be interesting to see how Raburn and Boesch perform this spring, seeing as how neither one of them has ever been anything more than a #4OF for more than a month or so.

Now that Gallaraga is gone the #5 starter seems to be Coke by default, but it'll be a process to get him stretched out.

Other than Raburn/Boesch is 5OF leagues, I don't really see any of this making any kind of fantasy impact this year in anything but the deepest leagues.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:38 am

thanks for that MTU.
Deep leagues is exactly why this thread exists.
Geoff Blum has value in a NL only league.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:58 am

wrveres wrote:thanks for that MTU.
Deep leagues is exactly why this thread exists.
Geoff Blum has value in a NL only league.

For deep leaguers all indications are that Casilla will be starting SS for the Twins with Plouffe (possible JJ Hardy offensively) and utilityman Matt Tolbert behind. You might need to be in a really deep league to get involved here although Casilla could put up a .285, 85R, 5HR, 40 RBI, 30SB (upside) line out of the 9th spot.

2B isn't a positional battle since it sounds like Nishioka will start there (he could also start at SS). And he'll probably bat 2nd since he's a 2Bman and that's how Gardy manages. I'm a little more optimistic about him and think he could put up a .290+, 100R, 5-10HR, 55 RBI and 20+SB's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Element » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 am

B-Chad wrote:Curious to see how 2B and 3B shake out in Colorado with Ian Stewart, Jose Lopez, Ty Wigginton and Eric Young Jr. all around. I'm starting to think EY Jr. is viewed as a super utilitiy type, but man he had the look of a solid top of the order bat before last year, would be a shame to totally dismiss him IMO.

I think that we can lump Helton into the mix here too. At the beginning of the offseason the Rockies were rumored to be adding a platoon partner for Helton (when they were speaking with Berkman) and not too long thereafter they added Lopez.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:30 pm

What about the Reds LF? Could Yonder Alonso sneak past Gomes and Lewis? Its not like his defense would be much worse than Gomes...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 am

Jonny Gomes is the favorite to play the majority of the time in left field, but he'll have competition from OF Fred Lewis and OF Chris Heisey, MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers