2011 Position Battles. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011 Position Battles.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2011 Position Battles.

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 am

heres a new idea for a yearly thread.

Rangers 1B wrote:General manager Jon Daniels said Tuesday, Jan. 25, that the starting first base job is still 1B Mitch Moreland's to lose, reports Evan Grant, of The Dallas Morning News. The team acquired C/1B Mike Napoli from the Toronto Blue Jays earlier in the day

Rangers C wrote:General manager Jon Daniels said he envisions the team keeping Napoli, Yorvit Torrealba and Matt Treanor on the roster

Royals 3B wrote:While there is little doubt that Moustakas will be the Royals' third baseman at some point in 2011, there is a good chance he starts the season in Triple-A. With that in mind, the Royals can use the early part of the season to determine if Aviles or Getz will be the starting second baseman for the remainder of the season once Moustakas arrives. Betemit could be a trade chip later in the season, especially if he continues to hit as he did in 2010, but he'll need ABs in order to build up his value

Braves #5SP wrote:Julio Teheran received his first big-league camp invite this year as well, but has virtually no chance of making the club this spring as the Braves will be very patient with their top pitching prospect, notes Mark Bowman of MLB.com.

DBacks 1B wrote:Miranda and Nady will enter camp as the front-runners but Allen is right behind them and could win a starting job with a good spring. While Nady could see regular duty in the middle of the lineup, Miranda, Allen, and Parra would likely hit near the bottom of the lineup where the pressure is lower but RBI opportunities are fewer.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2011 Position Battles.

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Seatlle OF wrote:Milton Bradley is expected to compete for a starting job in spring training despite his poor 2010 campaign and his recent arrest, the Seattle Times reports. Bradley will vie for time at DH and in left field. He is in the final year of his contract and is set to earn $12 million. The M's brought in Jack Cust to handle the DH role and have younger options for left field.

Pirates #5 wrote:SP Brad Lincoln will compete for the No. 5 starter job in spring training, with SP Charlie Morton and SP Scott Olsen, MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch reports.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Joba Rules wrote:Brian Cashman indicated that Joba Chamberlain has not been as effective of a pitcher since injuring his shoulder in August of 2008, according to ESPN New York. He also seems to be locked into Chamberlain coming out of the bullpen.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:56 pm

the best gm wrote:Alex Anthopoulos said 1B Adam Lind and 3B Edwin Encarnacion will be everyday players for the team this year, with Encarnacion serving as the designated hitter, according to The Toronto Star's Richard Griffin
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am

cincinatti's 4th+5th starter spot, Angels/ White Sox closer.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 am

from roto authority.
Wood vs Leake
It's hard to believe that one of these two pitchers could start the season in the minors. Both deserve to be in a major league rotation. That says a lot about Cincinnati's pitching depth. Having six or more capable starters is almost necessary to be a contending team. In fact, nine different pitchers started games for the NL Central Champs in 2010. Having Leake or Wood ready to go in Triple-A when the team needs another starter could be an important factor in the pennant race. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Wood will beat out Leake, who could finally throw his first minor league pitch after 138 1/3 big league innings and nearly two years after being drafted.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 am

from OC Register.
http://angels.ocregister.com/2011/01/14 ... day/71024/

The Angels will go into camp without what we might call a true closer. Rather, they’ll have at least three, and perhaps five guys who could close but who would be back-to-back blown saves away from losing fans’ faith. Unless one guy takes the job and runs away with it, it has the potential to be a simmering closer controversy, all season long, as fans (and I) flit from one preference to another.

Might as well start now.

Jordan Walden:

* Pros: Ridiculous strikeout rate in MLB last year; 101 mph; closer of the future, so future might as well start now.
* Cons: His minor league stats look like Fernando Rodney, except against Double-A competition; only 15 big league innings.

Scott Downs:

* Pros: Ninth-best ERA in baseball over past three years, ahead of Rafael Soriano, Jonathan Papelbon, Heath Bell, Brian Wilson…
* Cons: He’s 35 but still hasn’t earned his Proven Closer merit badge. He has a pretty big platoon split in his career, though not so bad since he converted to relief.

Hisanori Takahashi:

* Pros: After converting to relief full-time in August, he had a 1.32 ERA in 24 appearances, and went eight for eight in save opportunities.
* Cons: He can throw multiple innings and might even be the Angels’ sixth starter in a pinch, and restricting him to a save-defined role would waste his versatility; no merit badge.

Kevin Jepsen:

* Pros: He’s been burned by unlucky BABIPs the past two years, but his 2.95 FIP the past two years puts him up among the best relievers in the game. Great stuff, another closer-of-the-future type, etc.
* Cons: Yeah, I know. Not one of you is going to vote for Jepsen, not with his 4.43 career ERA and wildness last season. I think he’d be fine, though.

Fernando Rodney:

* Pros: Proven Closer.
* Cons: Proven Not Very Good Pitcher. Hasn’t had an ERA under 4 since 2006, and strikeout rate is plummeting.

cross posted to the closers thread
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:03 am

full interview with Sale here.
http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/1/21/1 ... s-play-doh

You got a taste of closing when Bobby Jenks got injured and you and Matt Thornton kind of switched places depending on what the game situation was. Was there any talk of trying to find an established closer and have you been approached about the closer role or are they kind of playing it by ear?

CS: As of now, I'm training like a starter. I'm going to show up to spring training and expect to start. And if it comes up where they want me to close games, hey, that'd be awesome too. I had so much fun last year being able to close. Edwin Jackson kind of said it like this "Hey, you're the last man standing. You're the last guy out there. You either get it done, we shake hands and we have a good night or you're walking off the field and you've lost the game." And it's kind of fun to go out there and be in that pressure situation where you have to go out there and have to do well and the adrenaline rush is awesome. I had a lot of fun with it, but like I said before, whatever they want me to do, I'm gonna do it to the best of my ability.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 am

one thing to remember about the Sox closer job. who ever wins it, probably will be in that roll all year. Ozzie is one of the most loyal/laziest managers (depending upon who you read) in the game. He has a very long hook so to speak.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:46 am

Royals CF: Melky Cabrera vs Lorenzo Cain
Cabrera likely has the leg up on this heading into Spring Training, with Cain still having options remaining. If the "re-dedication" of Cabrera doesn't surface in Spring then there is a decent chance he moves to a utility OF role with Cain taking the full time gig. Cain could be fantasy relevant as a .280s BA / 25+ steal guy batting at the top of the lineup.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers