Peep Show - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Peep Show

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peep Show

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:57 am

You might not have heard of it, but it might just be the best sitcom you've never seen. I caught the 7th series/season of Peep Show last weekend and it's brilliant.

Now before anyone starts slagging it because it's a British comedy, you're more likely to like Peep Show if you're a fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm. In fact, it's a lot like Curb. A lot of cringeworthy humor and it's a very quotable show.

Seasons 1-6 are on Hulu (36 episodes in all, 6 episodes per season):

http://www.hulu.com/peep-show

Season 7, you can find on Youtube. The first couple of episodes are good but the show really hits its stride midway through Season 1 and just gets better and better. Seasons 2-5 are top draw.

I bet you'll like it... so help me God and let the Lord be my witness!

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peep Show

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 am

i'll see if it's on BBC...i probably wont like it though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'll see if it's on BBC...i probably wont like it though

BBC America has Peep Show on in the early morning. A bit early for me and I haven't caught it on the Beeb that often. Interesting that it's TV-14 when it probably would warrant TV-MA, at the least for excessive language.

FWIW, I introduced Peep Show to most of my American friends and they thought it was extremely hilarious. There are some British cultural references and slang that pop up, but they're not likely to get in your way of following along.

Like I said, if you like shows such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, you'll like Peep Show. Even if your humor taste is different, at least give it a chance.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:28 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i'll see if it's on BBC...i probably wont like it though

BBC America has Peep Show on in the early morning. A bit early for me and I haven't caught it on the Beeb that often. Interesting that it's TV-14 when it probably would warrant TV-MA, at the least for excessive language.

FWIW, I introduced Peep Show to most of my American friends and they thought it was extremely hilarious. There are some British cultural references and slang that pop up, but they're not likely to get in your way of following along.

Like I said, if you like shows such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, you'll like Peep Show. Even if your humor taste is different, at least give it a chance.

i'll DVR or see if it's On Demand...i like those shows but usually have a hard time with British stuff...David Cross's Todd Margaret show on IFC was pretty British and occasionally funny, so we'll see
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 am

Tough thing to pick a few good teaser scenes to introduce folks into Peep Show, but this is one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZrTKdntMUo

Mark is trying to befriend Jeff, one of Mark's colleagues who's dating the woman Mark is obsessed with at work, Sophie... so that Mark will eventually try to steal Sophie for his own. Mark's best friend and roommate, Jeremy, finds Jeff to be his ideal kind of friend, unlike misanthropic, socially awkward Mark.

The poker scene best illustrates Mark and Jeremy's personalities. Having a passive-aggressive inferiority complex, Mark folds despite having a fantastic hand. Meanwhile, Jez hasn't a clue what he's doing and doesn't mind taking a chance.

This scene also has one of my favorite inspirational quotes: "...and when the going gets tough, you need to roll out the big potatoes... let's eat."

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby dAnzac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:08 am

Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 am

Wow that was awful. Watched the pilot and that little clip and comparing that show to Curb or It's Always Sunny (two of the funniest shows on tv) is blasphemy.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Wow that was awful. Watched the pilot and that little clip and comparing that show to Curb or It's Always Sunny (two of the funniest shows on tv) is blasphemy.

Erm, it helps if you actually keep watching. That clip is from the 2nd season and by then, you have a great feel for the characters. It does get better with each episode. Unfortunately, one clip doesn't define the show well nor does it justice. It was just meant to introduce the characters.
Last edited by The Artful Dodger on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Wow that was awful. Watched the pilot and that little clip and comparing that show to Curb or It's Always Sunny (two of the funniest shows on tv) is blasphemy.

Erm, it helps if you actually watch from Episode 1 onward. That clip is from the 2nd season and by then, you have a great feel for the characters. It does get better with each episode.

i didn't find anything in the pilot or that clip remotely funny, pretty much no way i'm gonna bother watching any more of it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Erm, it helps if you actually watch from Episode 1 onward. That clip is from the 2nd season and by then, you have a great feel for the characters. It does get better with each episode.

i didn't find anything in the pilot or that clip remotely funny, pretty much no way i'm gonna bother watching any more of it.

...which is why I said Season 1 starts a bit slow. It really gets going by the season finale up until Season 5's finale. Season 6 was good, albeit not up to standard. 7 was a return to form.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Next

Return to General Talk