The new CBS look - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The new CBS look

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The new CBS look

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm

neoforce wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:I have always been a huge defender of CBS, but this new look is an abomination. They continue to go backwards in terms of usability. It's just awful.

For instance, you want to change your team logo? It used to take one click to get there. You would just hover over the "my team" item and boom "team logo" was right there. No you need to click through 4 pages to get to it - and it's not even intuitive. You need to click through "details" and "my contact information" pages to get to your team logo. Yes, it's "only 4 clicks - that takes 15 seconds more!", but there is no reason it should take more, and when everything you want to do on Sportsline now takes longer than it used to, we're talking like a wasted 5 minutes of needless clicks and confusion every time you go on the site.

And the idiotic choice to have 25-30% of the page taken up with a giant gray empty box on every team's main page is another sign that they just do not understand usability.

I agree. Everything they did was about an overhaul of look and feel, but they went backwards in my places. No real new features. I know one "easy" think people have been asking for is a threaded league message board. How hard is that?

I can see moving away from cbssports.com, but not this year. Of course, at least they didn't go belly up like fanball did.

i know it's ridiculous they cant/haven't implemented that
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grand Master B » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:20 pm

We are doing an extended draft again this year. Some new problems that I have experienced this year are the inability to click and drag players to my queue, and the draft room occasionally needs to be refreshed manually. For some reason it stops updating itself. Others in my league have the same problems, so not sure what it could be.
Grand Master B
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I was able to drag a player into the queue but IIRC I had to click and drag from a certain spot in the player bar. I noticed that the draft would stop updating but usually it was only after my computer went to sleep (obviously doing a slow draft) and the internet connection was interrupted. At least that's what I remember. I found the autopilot (auto Q) to be frustrating. You can't just put it on autopilot. It automatically turns off autopilot every time you open the window or refresh the draft.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Grand Master B » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

thank you for the reply. I thought that's what the problem was at first, computer going to sleep, but unfortunately it happens even if i am using the chat on it. Iwill be entering chat messages, but don't see anyone else's....so i hit refresh and all of a sudden there they are. I have an email into CBS, and they asked me to update Flash but still no luck.

I am able to move players up and down in my queue now, thank you!
Grand Master B
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:11 am

Curtis Pride wrote:I have always been a huge defender of CBS, but this new look is an abomination. They continue to go backwards in terms of usability. It's just awful.

For instance, you want to change your team logo? It used to take one click to get there. You would just hover over the "my team" item and boom "team logo" was right there. No you need to click through 4 pages to get to it - and it's not even intuitive. You need to click through "details" and "my contact information" pages to get to your team logo. Yes, it's "only 4 clicks - that takes 15 seconds more!", but there is no reason it should take more, and when everything you want to do on Sportsline now takes longer than it used to, we're talking like a wasted 5 minutes of needless clicks and confusion every time you go on the site.

And the idiotic choice to have 25-30% of the page taken up with a giant gray empty box on every team's main page is another sign that they just do not understand usability.

+1

Also one of the things I enjoyed most about CBS was the league homepage with the ability to post stories/images. It always felt more like a real web page versus Yahoo's being stuck in 1997. But now that they got it jammed so thin it's completely worthless.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fast dogs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:35 am

last year there was a problem when you were chatting you couldn't see picks after you posted a message, sounds like it might be a problem again. If you refreshed or left and came back in it would be fine again. Can be frustrating if you are afraid to chat during draft
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby ramble2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm back with CBS after having tried it about 5-6 years ago. I joined a league that uses it, and am still trying to get used to it.

One thing I'm having trouble with is the custom ranking. It just doesn't seem to work. I try to get it to rank players based on my league scoring system, but it just spits out the default rankings. Is anyone else having this problem? It's happening whether I try and do this through Draft Central, or through the Players page.

For example, my league counts R, RBI, SB, HR, OBP and SLG.

In standard rankings, CBS has Morales listed as the 8th best 1B, and 66th overall. Dunn is the 12th 1B and 101st overall. Here are their projected lines:

Morales: 29 HR, 0.298 BA, 0.3453 OBP, 88 R, 106 RBI, 3 SB, and 0.5200 SLG
Dunn: 41 HR, 0.263 BA, 0.3813 OBP, 89 R, 108 RBI, 0 SB, and 0.5528

Leaving aside what you think of these projections, on a standard 5x5 I can see the argument for ranking Morales ahead of Dunn on these projections (though not sure I agree). But in a league that replaces BA with OBP and SLG it's not even close. Dunn is huge. He (and Prince Fielder) should be top 5-6 1B. But CBS just keeps spitting out the default ranks.

It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating. Obviously I can re-rank all by myself, and there's only so much stock I'd place in their projections and rankings anyways, but if they are going to advertise they can rank based on league scoring systems, freaking do it! I actually think it would be hugely useful, even if I did re-rank. I don't know, it's things like this that drive me crazy about CBS, let alone interface issues. So much potential, but poor execution.

Anyone else having this problem? Am I just doing it wrong? Am I just dense to think Dunn should move up?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby johnchezy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:..... Now you need to click through 4 pages to get to it - and it's not even intuitive. You need to click through "details" and "my contact information" pages to get to your team logo. Yes, it's "only 4 clicks - that takes 15 seconds more!", but there is no reason it should take more, and when everything you want to do on Sportsline now takes longer than it used to, we're talking like a wasted 5 minutes of needless clicks and confusion every time you go on the site.

Completely agree. They make you go through like 3-4 channels to get to any 1 specific location you want to get to. It used to be 1-2 channels. It's gotten worse.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby johnchezy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Grand Master B wrote:....and the draft room occasionally needs to be refreshed manually. For some reason it stops updating itself. Others in my league have the same problems, so not sure what it could be.

That's real nice!!!!
Mt draft is tomorrow night. I hope there are no issues with refreshing the page. That can SCREW with a team's draft!
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnchezy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:26 pm

ramble2 wrote:I'm back with CBS after having tried it about 5-6 years ago. I joined a league that uses it, and am still trying to get used to it.

One thing I'm having trouble with is the custom ranking. It just doesn't seem to work. I try to get it to rank players based on my league scoring system, but it just spits out the default rankings. Is anyone else having this problem? It's happening whether I try and do this through Draft Central, or through the Players page.

Ramble... I've left well enough alone with the rankings. I got frustrated with not being able to rank my own list.
I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but I think one of the things is, you have to "name" your own list, which is gay in and of itself. Why can't you just save it, period, why do you have to rename it? I'm not even sure it that would make a difference in making it work though.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers