The new CBS look - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The new CBS look

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The new CBS look

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 pm

WTF is with the 6" of blank space between everyone's team name and their players. When I click on a team, there is so much crap underneath their team name that not a single person on their roster is viewable.

ARGH!!!! Why do they make a system that already less user-friendly than Yahoo and ESPN even less user friendly and cumbersome?

The only reason they have a single league playing on their system is because they have all minor leaguers in their player database and they provide much more customizable options for commissioners to run keeper leagues. If Yahoo or ESPN ever address those gaps, people leave Sportsline in droves.

As it is, unless your league is a very deep keeper league, you should absolutely absolutely not even consider hosting your league on Sportsline.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Toomuchnv » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:00 pm

If myfantasyleague.com would just cover baseball then Sportsline would be finished as far as my league goes.
Toomuchnv
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dmendro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:WTF is with the 6" of blank space between everyone's team name and their players. When I click on a team, there is so much crap underneath their team name that not a single person on their roster is viewable.

ARGH!!!! Why do they make a system that already less user-friendly than Yahoo and ESPN even less user friendly and cumbersome?

The only reason they have a single league playing on their system is because they have all minor leaguers in their player database and they provide much more customizable options for commissioners to run keeper leagues. If Yahoo or ESPN ever address those gaps, people leave Sportsline in droves.

As it is, unless your league is a very deep keeper league, you should absolutely absolutely not even consider hosting your league on Sportsline.

It's about 4 inches and I'm pretty sure ti's there for advertising purposes.... oh and to display everythign else about your team that you might want to know. Scrolling down is really hard I know.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby johnchezy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm

It's about 4 inches and I'm pretty sure ti's there for advertising purposes.... oh and to display everythign else about your team that you might want to know. Scrolling down is really hard I know.

No, it is actually about 6 inches from the Team Name to the first player listed on your roster.
1 1/2 inches of that dedicated solely to a blank box called Pending Transactions.

And yes, while scrolling down not that big of a deal, it still seems like a waste of space and not the best design.
By the way... advertisements?
What do we pay $150 per league for? To see ads?
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

dmendro wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:WTF is with the 6" of blank space between everyone's team name and their players. When I click on a team, there is so much crap underneath their team name that not a single person on their roster is viewable.

It's about 4 inches.

I'm sorry you have a small monitor. it's 6" on mine.

Counting the needless "permanent blue bar" with my account/logout/mylinks info that doesn't ALWAYS need to taking up 5% of my viewable screen, when I go to another team's page, the wasted gray space is probably 25-30% of my viewable screen. Completely wasted. The "trophy case" also doesn't need to be permanently listed, and also is a waste of space.

It's just an awfully inefficient use of screen space.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

I'll have to take a look at it with a 21" monitor but it's not netbook friendly. Any webphone user comments?

One thing that I've always hated is the inconvenient propose trade dropdowns (and also the add/drop dropdowns). That looks the same. Both of these should really be incorporated into the roster page similar to ESPN.

ESPN also maintained the old format when they switched to a similar drag and drop roster change layout. There were a few times when traveling (using random shared computers) that I needed to use the old format to make changes because the correct software hadn't been updated. This could be a HUGE issue for some.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby colt4523 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I am in the process of moving all my leagues to espn. I just can't justify paying 150 for something I can basically get for free. In my lone cbs league last year, I finished 3rd out of 16 teams. I only ended up winning 20 (minus league fees). I would rather have that 150 go to the payout.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby theplayer11 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:55 pm

how do you change your team name? The options tab is gone.
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Element » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm

theplayer11 wrote:how do you change your team name? The options tab is gone.

Go to Details > Teams & Owners > Edit My Contact Information (located just above all of the team info).
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 am

dmendro wrote:

The point isn't the difficulty in scrolling down, or clicking on a link, etc. It's that it's inefficient, and each takes time and adds another step. This adds up.

I've used Yahoo for years, save for one year where my league tried Spotsline and did not like it. This year I've joined a new league that uses Sportsline and am giving it another go. I love the minor leaguers, and I love the flexibility in scoring settings. There's a lot to be said for Sportsline that is more powerful than what Yahoo offers. But overall the site experience stinks compares to Yahoo. I find it far less navigable, and find myself clicking around looking for pages and features. It could be way more efficient; it kind of baffles me how messy the whole thing looks.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers