Napoli from TOR to TEX? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Napoli from TOR to TEX?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Napoli from TOR to TEX?

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:36 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
dAnzac wrote:LOL, what a crap deal. Mwire must be pulling his hair out !+)

i think he's bald

I thought you guys believed I wore Hawaiian shirts with glasses. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 pm

An everyday player who can fill three spots in your lineup, including one of the hardest one to find any production out of, is a "luxury"?

Yet another former closer added to an already stuffed bullpen, who might get 80 IP the entire year, isn't a luxury?

If I'm sitting in their front office, knowing that they've already added Raush and Dotel to Frasor at the back end of their bullpen, and I'm trying to figure out what a "luxury" is, I'm definitely not starting with Napoli.

If their DH spot was going to be too backed-up, Encarnacion would have been out the door a hell of a lot faster than Napoli.

the fact that Napoli played 1B in 2010 gets overblown. Encarnacion is also someone who could play 1B in 2011, along with DH and 3B. pretty much any player can be put at 1B.
Encarnacion was also someone just signed as a free agent, so he couldn't be traded. he was with the Jays last season but then claimed by Oakland. he then became a free agent.

while Dotel and Rauch have closing experience along with Frasor, I think Fransisco is better.
Fransisco arbitration eligible again after 2011 season. he could be offered arbitration and accept it and continue to be the closer, or I read that he could/should be a type A free agent and if not accepting arbitration the Jays could/would get a 1st round draft pick for him.
I have also read that Frasor is someone who could be traded.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 pm

He's been traded twice within the past week and neither team got anything in return, so clearly his value is not what some people think it is. A six million dollar man who's best position is DH doesn't fetch much in a market where Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome sign for $2M and $3M respectively. Vlad can't even find a taker.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He's been traded twice within the past week and neither team got anything in return, so clearly his value is not what some people think it is. A six million dollar man who's best position is DH doesn't fetch much in a market where Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome sign for $2M and $3M respectively. Vlad can't even find a taker.

Exactly. That's why you play him for a season at 1B/DH/C, allow him to put up a 30+ HR season, and then trade him when his value his higher.

No reason to sell low for a reliever.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 pm

He's been a C/1B with 30 HR power for the past few years. I don't see how losing an arb year while being a full time DH and third string catcher would increase his value. Everybody already knows he can hit.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He's been a C/1B with 30 HR power for the past few years. I don't see how losing an arb year while being a full time DH and third string catcher would increase his value. Everybody already knows he can hit.

#1. He's coming off his worst season where he just hit .238/.316/.468, so there's a reason that his trade value is down. A 30+ HR, 3 WAR year in the Rogers Centre with full-time ABs would do a lot to change that. If you still don't get what you want for Napoli after that, then keep him. Where else are the Jays going to get a 3 WAR 1B (+ 2 compensation picks) in 2012 for cheap? I still haven't seen any good reason for wanting to trade a valuable player like this for another reliever.

#2. You continue to ignore the fact that Napoli can play 1B and can do it quite well at that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 pm

He has played 70 career games at 1B, I'd hold off on those gold glove votes for now, haha. Kudos to him for having UZR above zero at by far the least important position on the field for less than half of a season. You're right, the Jays should have been asking for top prospects. At least they unloaded him without taking on a $86M dead-weight contract like the last team that traded him.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He has played 70 career games at 1B, I'd hold off on those gold glove votes for now, haha. Kudos to him for having UZR above zero at by far the least important position on the field for less than half of a season.

You don't have to be Albert Pujols to have defensive value at 1B. Napoli has proven that he can play that position just fine, so claiming that he's a full-time DH like Manny/Thome/Vlad is disingenuous.

You're right, the Jays should have been asking for top prospects. At least they unloaded him without taking on a $86M dead-weight contract like the last team that traded him.

No, they probably should have held on to him, built his value up, and then traded him for something better than a single reliever. As it stands right now, they lost a considerable amount of value.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 pm

BTW, and I don't know how I remember this, but you have the same avatar as a Jays fan that was a member here 6 years ago. You wouldn't happen to be LBJackal?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1918
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am

A first baseman with 30 HR power and an 800 OPS does not have much value at $6M. I think we can agree that the important factor is maximizing the return on Napoli, as he himself doesn't have much inherent value to the team as a player. By the time we're competing he'll most likely be overpriced, if he isn't already. You seem to think that he'll boost his value after 2011, which could be true. I really don't think it's a big deal though and we probably wouldn't have got much for him if we waited; probably about the same, give or take. They'd prefer to save a bunch of cash I guess and it's pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme. Like I said in my first post on the topic, he's been traded twice and neither team got much of anything for him. And this coming off a season where he apparently showed himself to be competent at a position on the field and was cost controlled for two seasons. Meh. I don't get the hullabaloo that this has caused, it just doesn't seem very important.

And yeah.. that's me. Took a few years' hiatus.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers