Napoli from TOR to TEX? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Napoli from TOR to TEX?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Napoli from TOR to TEX?

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said that the first base job is still "Mitch Moreland's to lose."

So Napoli will back up 1b, DH and C ?
I guess the solution here is trading Michael Young to the Angels. :-D
They might be willing to give up Jered Weaver and cash for Young.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Does Dotel or Fransisco close in Toronto?

Fransisco

Yep
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby spydog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Nice to see Napoli finally get out of Scoisia's control. It will be nice to see what he can do with full time ABs over a season in a hitter friendly park. I'd say 30 HR is easily do-able. I wonder if the hype from him moving will make him overvalued on a draft day.
spydog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 pm

This move is stupid and makes no sense from the Jays perspective. That's about all you can say about this one.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 pm

As good a hitter as Napoli is, his value is at catcher, and the Jays won't have room for a catcher any time soon. Francisco is $2.5M cheaper and the Jays are getting cash back. Hard to say it was a bad move considering we don't know how much cash, and it's not like Napoli was a big part of the team. He likely would have been the starting DH and backup C/1B in a year that they don't plan on contending. DHs are a dime a dozen, and Vlad will probably be cheaper and better if they really want to pursue one for the short-term (which I don't think they do, but who knows). Doesn't hurt to add another good arm in the pen, because with all those darts, a few will hit the bullseye and net some picks or prospects, a la Downs and Gregg, and Frasor if he co-operated. Seems like just another arm in the pen, but Francisco is probably the best one they have at this point. It's pretty funny that the Jays have scrapped together a bullpen that will probably be just as goods the Sox and Yanks. And the whole thing costs about as much as each of Rivera or Soriano.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:53 am

Skin Blues wrote:As good a hitter as Napoli is, his value is at catcher, and the Jays won't have room for a catcher any time soon.

He also had value at 1B and at DH. Certainly more than any reliever.

Francisco is $2.5M cheaper and the Jays are getting cash back. Hard to say it was a bad move considering we don't know how much cash, and it's not like Napoli was a big part of the team.

$1.5M more (depending on arbitration), I believe, and the Jays are getting less than a million back. Hardly a justification for giving up that much value.

He likely would have been the starting DH and backup C/1B in a year that they don't plan on contending. DHs are a dime a dozen, and Vlad will probably be cheaper and better if they really want to pursue one for the short-term (which I don't think they do, but who knows).

AA already said they are planning to start Encarnacion at DH (a terrible idea considering the bargains that were available this offseason).

If they really didn't want Napoli that badly, the best thing would have been to let Napoli build up value at 1B/DH for a season, allow him to hit 30+ HRs in the RC, and then trade him (either at the deadline or in the offseason). The Jays would have gotten a lot more value at that point than a simple reliever.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dAnzac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 am

LOL, what a crap deal. Mwire must be pulling his hair out !+)
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:14 pm

dAnzac wrote:LOL, what a crap deal. Mwire must be pulling his hair out !+)

i think he's bald
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm surprised by the number of people who think this is bad for the Jays.
as much offensive potential as Napoli has, he was a luxury. Lind is going to get a majority of AB at 1B. Encarnacion is going to get a majority of the AB at DH. Arencibia deserves a chance to get a majority of the AB at C. where does Napoli fit?
some could say platoon Lind, but why? he has a lot of potential and could again do what he did in 2009.
some don't like Encarnacion? if he's not playing 3B his offensive potential is good. he has more offensive potential going into 2011 than Bautista did going into 2010. he doesn't get on base like Bautista, but the power is there. he had 21 HR in 96 games/332 AB.
Arencibia tore up AAA last season. he's proved what he can do in the minors and deserves a chance to be the starter for the Jays.

I don;t know what Napoli is like at 1B, but he only played there in 2010 for the Angels out of need because Morales was hurt. he was never the ful time catcher for the Angles who split him with Mathis who is a terrible hitter. what does that say about Napoli? from what I've read defensively Napoli is not that good behind the plate.
mlbtraderumors.com
Would-be base stealers were successful 73% of the time they tried stealing off of Napoli in 2010; they've been successful 76% of the time in his career.

now I do think the Jays could have gotten more, but if Fransisco can become a good closer it's a win.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I'm surprised by the number of people who think this is bad for the Jays. as much offensive potential as Napoli has, he was a luxury.

An everyday player who can fill three spots in your lineup, including one of the hardest one to find any production out of, is a "luxury"?

Yet another former closer added to an already stuffed bullpen, who might get 80 IP the entire year, isn't a luxury?

If I'm sitting in their front office, knowing that they've already added Raush and Dotel to Frasor at the back end of their bullpen, and I'm trying to figure out what a "luxury" is, I'm definitely not starting with Napoli.

If their DH spot was going to be too backed-up, Encarnacion would have been out the door a hell of a lot faster than Napoli.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers