Most bizarre working predicament you've had? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:41 am

KCollins1304 wrote:I don't understand why you don't just tell them now. :-?

Agreed, I've had 100's of people work for me, they all leave eventually for one reason or another, but it's always been my position that I'd like to know that I need to prepare for your departure in the near future, tell them now - no harm done. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1373)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am

knapplc wrote:I have heard of people losing current jobs because they screwed their former employer. I don't know if you're working with vindictive people, but if your current employer gets pissed that you dropped them with no notice, they may call your new employer and tell them what you did. That could sour your current gig.

Wow, that's crazy. My thinking was more in line with: The bigger company called me "yesterday" and wants me there in a couple of weeks. Sorry about the sudden leave, I am in a tricky situation. At places where I have worked a solid amount of time, it's usually easier and I would definitely give a two-week notice. At my internships, I knew when my end date would be, so it was never an issue. At this current company, I have been there for one day, so its really awkward telling them I'm leaving the company at that stage, though it will have to be done this week or next. I am part-time and the department has a good amount of depth, so there won't be some huge gaping hole due to my absence.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 am

Fantasy GM wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have heard of people losing current jobs because they screwed their former employer. I don't know if you're working with vindictive people, but if your current employer gets pissed that you dropped them with no notice, they may call your new employer and tell them what you did. That could sour your current gig.

Wow, that's crazy. My thinking was more in line with: The bigger company called me "yesterday" and wants me there in a couple of weeks. Sorry about the sudden leave, I am in a tricky situation. At places where I have worked a solid amount of time, it's usually easier and I would definitely give a two-week notice. At my internships, I knew when my end date would be, so it was never an issue. At this current company, I have been there for one day, so its really awkward telling them I'm leaving the company at that stage, though it will have to be done this week or next. I am part-time and the department has a good amount of depth, so there won't be some huge gaping hole due to my absence.

Sounds like you are going to wait a week and then lie to them by saying you received the call "yesterday". This is not a good way to start your career. :-t
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 am

markj11 wrote:
Fantasy GM wrote:

Sounds like you are going to wait a week and then lie to them by saying you received the call "yesterday". This is not a good way to start your career. :-t

I realize it does not sound so great, but exactly how would they think I'm not telling the truth?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:31 am

It's not about what they think, it's about you having a little integrity.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 am

Fantasy GM wrote:
markj11 wrote:
Fantasy GM wrote:

I realize it does not sound so great, but exactly how would they think I'm not telling the truth?

It's not about what they think, it's about what you are doing. Unless you are in the sales profession, being dishonest on your first day of your first job is not a good start.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 pm

I figured out a good ending to this:

Next time I have work, I will go in and tell my supervisor that I have accepted another job that is full-time, I just found out "yesterday," etc. I would be willing to continue at the current company for another week until everything is straightened out.

I think that works for everyone. Again, it's a part-time position where they have plenty of depth, but a "one-week notice" does the trick here. It just seemed awkward because I couldn't even give a "two-week notice" since I won't even be there for two weeks.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:It's not about what they think, it's about you having a little integrity.

This.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Fantasy GM wrote:I figured out a good ending to this:

Next time I have work, I will go in and tell my supervisor that I have accepted another job that is full-time, I just found out "yesterday," etc. I would be willing to continue at the current company for another week until everything is straightened out.

I think that works for everyone. Again, it's a part-time position where they have plenty of depth, but a "one-week notice" does the trick here. It just seemed awkward because I couldn't even give a "two-week notice" since I won't even be there for two weeks.

One week is better than one day. Basically, the more notice the better. "Good form" is two weeks, but if you have one week, give one week.

Awkward for you is WAY better than partially screwed for the employer. Doesn't matter how many people are in your department - the job you have right now wouldn't exist if the duties didn't need to be done. The more notice you give them the better it is for them.

These are real people you're dealing with here, not concepts in awkwardness. Be decent to them.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 pm

yeah the more notice you give, the better you look ... they hired you to do a job, and part time or full time, someone will have to do it when you leave. They need to start preparing now. Telling them the day before is a total dick move. I have people who work for me, and even if my worse team member gave me one day notice, I'd not be happy.

You also don't want to burn any bridges. It's a small world out there and you never know when your current boss may be interviewing you for a job at another company after you realize your dream job is thankless and you hate it ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk