Most bizarre working predicament you've had? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:54 pm

fortunately my degree(civil engineering)leads to a lot of public jobs....as the public builds and maintains a bunch of infrastructure

unfortunately as the economy has tanked, the public has gotten less taxes each year, thus i have gotten no raise in 3 years. yes i am happy to still have a job, and yes i would have liked a little 2% raise each year..but no tears here
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby markj11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:08 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:
markj11 wrote:
As shawngee03 mentioned on the first page, it's called a government job.

this wall isnt going to stare at itself

honestly, where do I sign up? I am sick of getting behind on stuff because I spend too much time at the cafe. I want to spend too much time on the cafe adn not get behind on stuff.. :-b

My neighbor constantly laughs about his gov job that he admits he wasn't qualified for. If I every have to met a delivery truck at my house during the middle of the day or get off early, he is always out cutting his grass or doing some sort of lawn work.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm

shawngee03 wrote:fortunately my degree(civil engineering)leads to a lot of public jobs....as the public builds and maintains a bunch of infrastructure

unfortunately as the economy has tanked, the public has gotten less taxes each year, thus i have gotten no raise in 3 years. yes i am happy to still have a job, and yes i would have liked a little 2% raise each year..but no tears here

I'm sure I speak for everyone who works in the public sector here and, essentially pays your salary when I say I'm truly sorry you've had to survive the last three years on only your generous salary, full benefits, and pension package.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:fortunately my degree(civil engineering)leads to a lot of public jobs....as the public builds and maintains a bunch of infrastructure

I'm sure I speak for everyone who works in the public sector here and, essentially pays your salary when I say I'm truly sorry you've had to survive the last three years on only your generous salary, full benefits, and pension package.

don't hate the player, hate the game. also, aren't you going to be collecting on all this damn social security money they keep taking from my paycheck..because you're older and for no other reason. sadly, it won't be there for me when i'm your age... or was it ayebatter that was really, really old? :-°
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

yes free benefits is nice. yes the pension is pretty sweet, no making 20% less than everyone else is not nice, yes still having a job is nice

ive never understood where people get the idea that government employees have generous salaries. i make significantly less than i could in the pvt sector. ive just never understood where people get that idea

its been a mixed bag for me the last 6 years. i make significantly less than people i grantuated w that work in the pvt sector. but i work only 40 hours a week, where they constantly work over 50. i dont work any weekends...they work a lot on weekends. i dont get a bonus...they get very generous bonuses. yes i will admit i do less work...but only bc there is less develeopment due to the down economy and i am guarenteed 40 hours unlike someone in the pvt engineering world. so again its a mixed bag.
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Don't mind me. I'm just giving you crap because I'm jealous that I have the worst of both worlds: low salary, no benefits, long hours, and I work a lot of weekends. I went to college so I could land this sweet gig that pays (literally) slightly over minimum wage per hour with no benefits.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks for the input.

My plan for now is: 1.) Continue working at this company for the time being (probably one more week), 2.) I "receive the call" from the big company. 3.) I then "immediately" tell the company I am working with now that I received a full-time offer from another company and that I, unfortunately, will be leaving.

As some of you touched on, my current job is part-time. It's not a full-time commitment like the big job is. They have some depth at the position as well; I'm the new guy since I only worked one day so far. This also gives me some added practice/experience (while getting paid :-b ) for the big job I will be starting in a few weeks. Hopefully, there are no hard feelings.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

I don't understand why you don't just tell them now. :-?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:00 pm

You really should let your employer now that you're leaving... especially knowing how much time, effort, and money goes into hiring someone. At least telling them now will give them a head start to look again for candidates. Waiting until the last day or so is more likely to leave a bad impression.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I have heard of people losing current jobs because they screwed their former employer. I don't know if you're working with vindictive people, but if your current employer gets pissed that you dropped them with no notice, they may call your new employer and tell them what you did. That could sour your current gig.

I have taken this call at my job, swear to Yadier Molina.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk