Most bizarre working predicament you've had? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 am

Today, I began my new job that is in line with what I want to do for a career (I am in my early twenties). I had interviewed less than a week before, and apparently my boss from my previous internship/job vouched for me as well. While it is currently part-time, it is in a field I enjoy and have loads of experience with. After one day, everything went well. Work environment was solid, people were nice and helpful, and the pay per hour is good. My supervisor was impressed with my resume and interview, and expects me to stick in this company for awhile.

However, there is one twist: I will be leaving this job in approximately two weeks. 8-o 8-o

Yes, that's correct. Earlier in the day, I was offered my "dream job" (at this point in my life) from a company I had longed to work for. ;-D It's been #1 on my list ever since I graduated college last year. They are the best in the world at what they do, and I could maximize my abilities to the fullest. Obviously, I accepted the offer immediately. I will relocate to where they are located, start work in three weeks, and it could be a tremendous stepping stone to my career.

This is a strange situation for sure. The trick will be how to leave my "current job" gracefully. I can be as polite as possible when I explain that I am leaving, and still get the "Cleveland towards LeBron" treatment because I ended this job so soon - I am leaving a local/regional company based in an area I have grown up near for a worldwide enterprise in the same field. I will still work at this job for a little longer out of respect (for the people who had recommended me and the people I currently work for) and because it pays well per hour :-D. At the same time, I can't tell them I am parting ways one day before I actually do. I mentioned earlier that I like the people at my current job, but it will be impossible to actually know them well, since I am leaving almost immediately.

I'm sure everything will be fine, I hope no bridges will be burned as a result. One day down the road, maybe I seek an opportunity at this company. But if the company I will join for does work out, then it won't be an issue. I am wondering if any of you have had a bizarre career/work predicament similar to this and what happened.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Most bizarre working predicament you've had?

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 am

There's no shame in leaving a part-time job for a full-time job where you can get benefits and such. It would have been like Lebron leaving Cleveland if they weren't giving him health insurance and guranteeing him playing time.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 am

It's not bizarre at all. Just give them no less than two weeks notice, work your butt off to make the transition easy for them, and keep your relationships there solid and ongoing b/c you never know when your network will come in handy.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 am

i would tell them now. they will understand and best to let them know now...as you just started. im sure they wont really have a hard time picking up your missed work bc you just started. not like you have 7 years w them or anything

i got my current government job right out of college, expected to only do it for about a year to get used to the field then go private. due to my laziness i never really looked for another job, all awhile the ecconomy tanked and the pvt industry has been really hurt. i still have my cushy gov job and am happy. yeah laziness ;-D
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 pm

RugbyD wrote:It's not bizarre at all. Just give them no less than two weeks notice, work your butt off to make the transition easy for them, and keep your relationships there solid and ongoing b/c you never know when your network will come in handy.

Yeah, common courtesy is to let your boss know a few weeks in advance. In your case, they would be even more understanding of your situation, seeing how you're a new grad and this will be your first full-time gig. Perfectly normal. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:05 pm

I think the only reasonable approach is to write a letter of resignation, in all italics.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Fantasy GM wrote: I am wondering if any of you have had a bizarre career/work predicament similar to this and what happened.

I had something similar and it didn't work out well at all. I'm thinking you are screwed.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I think the only reasonable approach is to write a letter of resignation, in all italics.

With some words bolded for emphasis. Throw in a couple of :-) smiley's and all is good my friend.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm

RugbyD wrote:It's not bizarre at all. Just give them no less than two weeks notice, work your butt off to make the transition easy for them, and keep your relationships there solid and ongoing b/c you never know when your network will come in handy.

I didn't read the original post very well and just realized that you just started your current job. It's a sticky situation but best to tell them now and just roll with whatever heat you get, if any.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Of course you want to maintain good relations and keep contacts at your current job in case you ever need--or want--to return, but if they are going to hold it against you for taking a better, full-time job with a national company, eff 'em. It's a part-time job that you've been at for a day. I really don't think you owe them much at all, other than letting them know as soon as possible that you'll be leaving, and I'm sure they'll get over it and find someone to replace you without too much fuss.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk