Draft Software - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Software

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Software

Postby Sleazy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Hey gang,

I have been using Rotloab for a couple of years now and I am satisfied but I am considering a change. I have heard of fantistics and i think it works very well.I have 3 of 8 members in my league already using it. Any other suggestions?
Sleazy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Software

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 pm

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby spydog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 am

I used Fantistics last year and was relatively pleased. However, I just purchased RotoChamp and I love it. I think it has a better interface and it was much cheaper. I think I paid somewhere around $60 last year for the Fantistics draft software + the season updates, but only paid $25 for RotoChamp.

I never tried RotoLab, though I did download it and it looks good, but it costs $70 for new users, too expensive for me.

Bloomberg Sports has a product out, but it looks fluffy and I read some reviews that its more substance than style. It looks like its geared towards the casual fantasy player who will buy it because it looks slick. I read that it has no flexibility in its league setup. You are stuck with static 5x5 with unchanging auction values. Maybe they are changing it for 2010, but I think the other products are better. I think its priced around $20.

There's also Diamond Draft, which goes for around $20. I downloaded the free trial last year and wasn't too impressed and chose Fantistics even though it was more expensive.

RotoChamp has the functionality of Fantistics/RotoLab with the price of DiamondDraft.

I used to do my own Excel spreadsheet program, but really feel now that these draft programs are well worth the investment if you are serious about fantasy baseball and can afford to shell out some cash.
spydog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hot4tx » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:55 pm

spydog wrote:I used to do my own Excel spreadsheet program, but really feel now that these draft programs are well worth the investment if you are serious about fantasy baseball and can afford to shell out some cash.

Why is that? What are the main benefits you enjoy from pre-packaged draft software? How do you feel it benefits you during your draft? Organization? Time management? Curious. I've never used any kind of baseball draft software and was wondering what the benefits were.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Sleazy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Ther are multiple reasons I use the draft software and some you mentioned. First off it allowes me so much more time to prepare and stay organized in doing so. Ever wish you had a database complete with every player and team they play for inculding past numbers and future projections?

Also come draft day the ease of placing players onto teams is awesome. This software is also great on draft day calculating your goal numbers and allowing you to see what it is you need compared to what everyone else has. Please note these projections can all be modified or left alone. either way it is so much easier. Make sure you get a program that is user friendly. I use Rotolab and wound up purchasing it again. I wasnt sure I wanted to change even though it may have benefited me. Rotolab is very user friendly and I was so comfortable with it that i went back. I have used it for 4 years and won 1 title. (there have been guys in the league for 10+ yrs still no title)

I have also finished last twice, my first year and this past one. Injuries and awful trades are the reason for that. I am looking forward to a solid year this go around and i think keeping up with my projections and merging with theirs will do wonders.

Anyone have any advice on how to make your own projections?
Sleazy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MTUCache » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Sleazy wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to make your own projections?

This one had me nuts for a couple of years... until I just embraced the fact that I was never going to have enough time or knowledge to beat out the so-called "experts" at their own game.... I finally embraced the fact that as a collective the many projections available to me for free are going to have to be good enough, because I'm not coming up with something better.

The only thing I do is collect four or five different projections, check them for outliers on the player-pool I'm interested in, adjust my tiers for my own gut feelings, and get down to it.

The thing that really grabs my interest with Rotolab is the ability to look at the projected totals for all the teams as they're formed (and therefore get an idea of how many total roto-points you're at). That's something that I've found rather difficult in most standard draft/auctions to do in my own spreadsheet. Too much cutting-and-pasting that's lead to mistakes. It'd be much easier to drag and drop players all within one spreadsheet and get a visual picture without having to be an Excel wizard. (Admittedly, I'm proficient with Excel, but I'm not getting anywhere close to a polished easy-to-use product out of it.)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby spydog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:18 pm

hot4tx wrote:
spydog wrote:I used to do my own Excel spreadsheet program, but really feel now that these draft programs are well worth the investment if you are serious about fantasy baseball and can afford to shell out some cash.

Why is that? What are the main benefits you enjoy from pre-packaged draft software? How do you feel it benefits you during your draft? Organization? Time management? Curious. I've never used any kind of baseball draft software and was wondering what the benefits were.

Organization, time management, the ability to see how I'm projecting in the categories, getting a good snapshot of the other managers so I can anticipate their moves, fast lookup of player projections and historical stats.....I could go on and on.

I suppose it's like TIVO or HD. You may not understand why its so great until you have it and then you wonder how you ever managed without it.

I think RotoChamp, Fantistics, and Rotolab all have some sort of demo available to try for free so you can get an idea of what the program is about before you shell out the cash.

I suggest downloading a couple of them and comparing features/prices and decide if you want to invest.
spydog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zebulon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 am

Please consider using DraftTracker...the FREE tool that was built by fellow Cafe members (including myself).

We have a lot of the same features that paid software provides...but like I said..ours is FREE.

We are getting ready to post the 2011 version which contains some upgrades over last year's version.

Features include:

- Composite Projections
- Custom League Setup (for up to 20 teams and 30 rounds)
- Position Tracker (see what positions you and other teams still need)
- 1 Click Drafting: just highlight a player name and click the Draft button.
- Real-time player injury updates
- Projected Roto Points and league standings with graphs
- Updated MDP Ranking and Tiers
- Personal Queue List
- 2010 and 3 year averages so you can compare 2011 projections against historical performance.
- Intelligent trading of draft picks.

You can test drive last year's version at http://drafttracker.weebly.com.

We will be posting the next beta version for 2011 by the first week of Feb.
DraftTracker 2010 FREE Download Now Available at: http://drafttracker.weebly.com
zebulon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dAnzac » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:31 am

Sleazy wrote:Hey gang,

I have been using Rotloab for a couple of years now

Never heard of it. :-?

P.S...the first image on google images for rotloab:

:-b :-b :-D
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 am

zebulon wrote:Please consider using DraftTracker...the FREE tool that was built by fellow Cafe members (including myself).

We have a lot of the same features that paid software provides...but like I said..ours is FREE.

We are getting ready to post the 2011 version which contains some upgrades over last year's version.

Features include:

- Composite Projections
- Custom League Setup (for up to 20 teams and 30 rounds)
- Position Tracker (see what positions you and other teams still need)
- 1 Click Drafting: just highlight a player name and click the Draft button.
- Real-time player injury updates
- Projected Roto Points and league standings with graphs
- Updated MDP Ranking and Tiers
- Personal Queue List
- 2010 and 3 year averages so you can compare 2011 projections against historical performance.
- Intelligent trading of draft picks.

You can test drive last year's version at http://drafttracker.weebly.com.

We will be posting the next beta version for 2011 by the first week of Feb.

I hope it's out soon..my league's slow auction starts Feb 1st
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers