Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Postby Think Blue » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 pm

daullaz wrote:How about having the option to put all players on waivers daily, but have waiver claims process daily as well? This allows everyone to check in at the end of the day, place their claims based on the news of the day, and then set their lineups anew in the morning (or the next day, since I know Yahoo players added to a team don't collect stats till the following day).

+1

I sent an email to Yahoo last season requesting this. It would eliminate the race to the computer in cases like closer changes and give everyone a shot at a certain player.
Think Blue
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Think Blue wrote:I sent an email to Yahoo last season requesting this. It would eliminate the race to the computer in cases like closer changes and give everyone a shot at a certain player.

I'm in about 90% agreement on this, for all the reasons pointed out above, but I do have some misgivings...

In the past we've seen a lot of strategy come into play with jockeying for position on the waiver-wire priority list, waiting for one specific person to get called-up. I suppose that wasn't a very integral part of my enjoyment of the game, but it would feel a bit odd if the hottest new prospects were added to the player pool in a way that made them exactly the same as EVERY other free agent out there.

Again, I'm 90% in support of this, but unless there's some huge notice sent to owners about changes to the player pool every day, I don't see this solving all the problems with people who spend WAY too much time on their computers. Sifting through several hundred names on the WW looking to spend your FAAB money every day/week doesn't seem all that much different than the current setup. Instead of waiting for your sneaky waivers to clear you're not hoping that all of your sneaky WW&FA pickups clear before the rest of the league notices.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

daullaz wrote:How about having the option to put all players on waivers daily, but have waiver claims process daily as well? This allows everyone to check in at the end of the day, place their claims based on the news of the day, and then set their lineups anew in the morning (or the next day, since I know Yahoo players added to a team don't collect stats till the following day).

I would imagine that this would entail the use of a huge amount of server bandwidth so to speak. Also, would all players be on waivers at some point during the day, but free agents at another point during the day? The reason why I don't really see this as necessary is that in baseball there is rarely a player who goes from being uninteresting to a must own in the span of one game of action... at least not anything like what you see in football.

There are exceptions, of course, like injuries particularly in the case of closers, but to institute such an elaborate system for these such occurrences just seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

In a perfect world, I'd be in full agreement, but I see this is an ambitious request to say the least.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Think Blue » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

MTUCache wrote:
Think Blue wrote:I sent an email to Yahoo last season requesting this. It would eliminate the race to the computer in cases like closer changes and give everyone a shot at a certain player.

I'm in about 90% agreement on this, for all the reasons pointed out above, but I do have some misgivings...

In the past we've seen a lot of strategy come into play with jockeying for position on the waiver-wire priority list, waiting for one specific person to get called-up. I suppose that wasn't a very integral part of my enjoyment of the game, but it would feel a bit odd if the hottest new prospects were added to the player pool in a way that made them exactly the same as EVERY other free agent out there.

Again, I'm 90% in support of this, but unless there's some huge notice sent to owners about changes to the player pool every day, I don't see this solving all the problems with people who spend WAY too much time on their computers. Sifting through several hundred names on the WW looking to spend your FAAB money every day/week doesn't seem all that much different than the current setup. Instead of waiting for your sneaky waivers to clear you're not hoping that all of your sneaky WW&FA pickups clear before the rest of the league notices.

I agree, it would change strategy somewhat. The advantage of keeping the good WW priority would be gone. The competitive advantage (as far as picking up the hottest new prospect is concerned) would be gained by conserving your FAAB. It seems more like real life to me. For example, let's say you have a FAAB of $100. You can chose to buy 100 players throughout the season for $1 or 1 player for $100. Likely, it's a compromise of those two extremes and therein lies the strategy.

I don't think you're ever going to solve the problem of people spending too much time on their computers. But for competitive leagues, with managers who check their team multiple times daily, it would require more skill than just being at your computer all day. My league is full of people who check their team daily and spend way more time than we should on fantasy. But we are all working people spread across different time zones. It would at least be nice to have the full day to put in a bid for a player than just the randomness of who is at the computer when certain important fantasy news is released.

It's not for everybody. Just my opinion and I'd like to see Yahoo make this an option. Otherwise, they are doing great work.
Think Blue
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 am

I'm also fine with having the option of keeping all players on waivers all the time. Anything that's better than the "first-come, first-served" thing is fine with me.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HustlinOwl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:21 pm

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports ... mrxItLIHlG
In a Free Agents Acquisition Budgets (FAAB) waivers system, each manager receives a dollar amount to place blind bids on waived players. The manager with the highest bid at the end of the waiver period claims that player and that bid amount is deducted from the team's acquisition budget. If multiple managers place an equal bid on a player, ties are broken on a continual rolling list basis: waiver claims are processed in waiver priority order and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list.

Managers may bid anywhere from one dollar to their remaining acquisition budget on a waived player. Managers with no remaining budget must wait until a player clears waivers and becomes a free agent to add him to their team.

Note: Your FAAB is different than your initial draft budget. If you have money left over after an Auction Draft, it will not be added to your FAAB.

Looks like yahoo has failed once again to get the FAAB process correct. Unless commissioners have the ability to have waived players keep their price for the waiver period and once clear waivers then are subject to the FAAB process.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 am

HustlinOwl wrote:http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports/fantasysports/baseball/whatsnew/faab.html;_ylt=AtvucHWnSTdukbCjX9mrxItLIHlG
In a Free Agents Acquisition Budgets (FAAB) waivers system, each manager receives a dollar amount to place blind bids on waived players. The manager with the highest bid at the end of the waiver period claims that player and that bid amount is deducted from the team's acquisition budget. If multiple managers place an equal bid on a player, ties are broken on a continual rolling list basis: waiver claims are processed in waiver priority order and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list.

Managers may bid anywhere from one dollar to their remaining acquisition budget on a waived player. Managers with no remaining budget must wait until a player clears waivers and becomes a free agent to add him to their team.

Note: Your FAAB is different than your initial draft budget. If you have money left over after an Auction Draft, it will not be added to your FAAB.

Looks like yahoo has failed once again to get the FAAB process correct. Unless commissioners have the ability to have waived players keep their price for the waiver period and once clear waivers then are subject to the FAAB process.

The player still goes to the highest bidder. The only time the waiver priority enters the mix is when two teams place an identical bid. You could also still have a players auction cost be his FAAB cost, but commissioners would have to do it manually. Once a free agent, a player becomes a free add, not deducting from the FAAB budget. You could even manually change that to a one dollar FAAB budget fee if you wanted, but again would have to be done manually.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:31 am

This would be a great addition for cap dynasty leagues, granted we're allowed to input salaries. Players on waivers would be claimed at their current salary. Free agents would be bid upon, with all bids remaining under the league cap. Bidding concludes 14/48/72 hours after the last high bid, whichever time limit the league prefers. The player is posted to the roster the day after the bidding concludes.

Would Yahoo be open to something like this?
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:59 am

So I read through this thread, and I'm still a bit confused. I get that FAAB (obviously) only applies to players on waivers, but doesn't Yahoo already have an option to always have all players on waivers which get processed nightly (i.e. no free agents)? I thought they did, but maybe it was CBS. If so, that takes care of things if you want FAAB to apply to all transactions. I would actually like that option quite a bit.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers