Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Postby Seanyfever » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 am

"It shouldn't be on a "first-come, first-served" basis. I hate when I have to rush to a computer to pick up a player before a league rival does. Not everyone can sit in front of a computer all day."

The reason for our use as well..... We have a few guys that sit at home or have jobs where they can access. While some of us work, another guy makes ten moves. :-o
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 213)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:47 am

Seanyfever wrote:"It shouldn't be on a "first-come, first-served" basis. I hate when I have to rush to a computer to pick up a player before a league rival does. Not everyone can sit in front of a computer all day."

The reason for our use as well..... We have a few guys that sit at home or have jobs where they can access. While some of us work, another guy makes ten moves. :-o
the easy fix for this is to go to a weekly league, where everyone picks up players at once on Sunday PM/ Monday am.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1159)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 am

wrveres wrote:
Seanyfever wrote:"It shouldn't be on a "first-come, first-served" basis. I hate when I have to rush to a computer to pick up a player before a league rival does. Not everyone can sit in front of a computer all day."

the easy fix for this is to go to a weekly league, where everyone picks up players at once on Sunday PM/ Monday am.

No way.

clubhouseotter20 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm still trying to understand the mechanism by which people want to bid on free agents. Can you guys fill me in? Bidding on waivers work because there is a resolution time when the high bid wins. How do you want this to work for free agents when they are perpetually free agents? Putting everyone on waivers at all times also doesn't quite work, because again you lose that resolution time. Unless you want something like, "Waivers are always cleared on (a particular day of the week), and all unowned players are always on waivers."

Is that what you want? Fill me in.

EDIT: I guess you *could* also do something like, "If someone wants a free agent, they bid on them. The league is then notified the player is up for auction, and it resolves X days later." Is that what you want?

^^Yes! Exactly what I'd like to see happen! Yahoo could send out notification emails to all league members just like they do when a trade is accepted. They could also maybe notify league members by posting something on the front page of the league or at the top of each team's page where you would find proposed trades and such. And then after your league's waiver claim period expires (2 days or whatever it may be), the highest bidder gets the player.

Allowing owners to bid on all players, including free agents, is the fairest way to do things. It shouldn't be on a "first-come, first-served" basis. I hate when I have to rush to a computer to pick up a player before a league rival does. Not everyone can sit in front of a computer all day.

This!
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:39 am

You know, that's actually not a bad idea at all. I'd love to see something like that.

You'd have to have huge FAAB budgets though. And figure each team makes an average of 50 moves, that's 600 emails, and a whole lot of bidding/(pageviews genie). Also. If you didn't like churnners before, you are really going to hate them now .... :)
But it would be a great solution for the guys that can't sit next to their computer and pick up a player when JD Drew has a pimple and has to be put down for 14 days.

Of course, weekly transactions does the same thing.
minus the pageviews

of course.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 am

How about having the option to put all players on waivers daily, but have waiver claims process daily as well? This allows everyone to check in at the end of the day, place their claims based on the news of the day, and then set their lineups anew in the morning (or the next day, since I know Yahoo players added to a team don't collect stats till the following day).
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 am

daullaz wrote:How about having the option to put all players on waivers daily, but have waiver claims process daily as well?

daily waivers for the entire player pool. even better, and less email. Yeah.

Also, reset waivers at noon instead of midnight. This will give everyone a shot at the list. The late night people and the early risers.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 am

wrveres wrote:
daullaz wrote:How about having the option to put all players on waivers daily, but have waiver claims process daily as well?

What?
Why would you get less emails, or more?

wrveres wrote:Also, reset waivers at noon instead of midnight. This will give everyone a shot at the list. The late night people and the early risers.

What time zone?
Eastern Time?
Pacific Time?
GMT?
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:17 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
wrveres wrote:

What?
Why would you get less emails, or more?
somebody up thread said you would get an email every time a player was picked up, opening up bidding. By using a simple daily waivers system, you can just use the rotating waiver system that yahoo has in place now. no reason to send en email.
wrveres wrote:Also, reset waivers at noon instead of midnight. This will give everyone a shot at the list. The late night people and the early risers.

What time zone?
Eastern Time?
Pacific Time?
GMT?

I believe Yahoo operates Pacific Standard Time and I see no reason to change it. The whole world should operate on PST quite honestly. :-)
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

wrveres wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

What time zone?
Eastern Time?
Pacific Time?
GMT?

I believe Yahoo operates Pacific Standard Time and I see no reason to change it. The whole world should operate on PST quite honestly. :-)

I see.
Pacific Time noon wont work, with games starting at 1 pm ET.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:What time zone?
Eastern Time?
Pacific Time?
GMT?

I see.
Pacific Time noon wont work, with games starting at 1 pm ET.
it wont matter because they won't go onto your roster till the following day anyways.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers