Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Postby oscar15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 am

Question

1. Is this option available on yahoo for private leagues?

I want to be able to set my league for Blind Bidding for all players not on a roster (Waivers and Free Agents).

Thank you
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo 2011 Blind Bidding for Free Agents

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

they do have it for waivers (FAAB), but its only for waivers, not free agents.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby ironman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

I don't know how you could do bidding on a player if they weren't on waivers.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby HustlinOwl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 pm

hoping this is changed for 11, along with custom divisions
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Seanyfever » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Ditto.
I like the bidding for all moves as well. Hate a league with teams that have 100 roster moves and no trades. %-6

Free agents cost money in real life.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm still trying to understand the mechanism by which people want to bid on free agents. Can you guys fill me in? Bidding on waivers work because there is a resolution time when the high bid wins. How do you want this to work for free agents when they are perpetually free agents? Putting everyone on waivers at all times also doesn't quite work, because again you lose that resolution time. Unless you want something like, "Waivers are always cleared on (a particular day of the week), and all unowned players are always on waivers."

Is that what you want? Fill me in.

EDIT: I guess you *could* also do something like, "If someone wants a free agent, they bid on them. The league is then notified the player is up for auction, and it resolves X days later." Is that what you want?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 56)

Postby oscar15 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm still trying to understand the mechanism by which people want to bid on free agents. Can you guys fill me in? Bidding on waivers work because there is a resolution time when the high bid wins. How do you want this to work for free agents when they are perpetually free agents? Putting everyone on waivers at all times also doesn't quite work, because again you lose that resolution time. Unless you want something like, "Waivers are always cleared on (a particular day of the week), and all unowned players are always on waivers."

EDIT: I guess you *could* also do something like, "If someone wants a free agent, they bid on them. The league is then notified the player is up for auction, and it resolves X days later." Is that what you want?

Bidding on FA works in weekly leagues.

Example: Starting lineups and rosters lock at 11am on Monday morning.
You can then establish a blind bidding period to run for that week for FA. (11:30 am Monday - 5pm Friday). After the process runs, you can either (a) lock FA for the week, (b) run another shorter blind bidding period to account for players dropped or (c) have a first come first serve period.

We use it in Football and it works great. I'm not sure it will work for daily leagues.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 25)

Postby ironman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 pm

oscar15 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm still trying to understand the mechanism by which people want to bid on free agents. Can you guys fill me in? Bidding on waivers work because there is a resolution time when the high bid wins. How do you want this to work for free agents when they are perpetually free agents? Putting everyone on waivers at all times also doesn't quite work, because again you lose that resolution time. Unless you want something like, "Waivers are always cleared on (a particular day of the week), and all unowned players are always on waivers."

Bidding on FA works in weekly leagues.

Example: Starting lineups and rosters lock at 11am on Monday morning.
You can then establish a blind bidding period to run for that week for FA. (11:30 am Monday - 5pm Friday). After the process runs, you can either (a) lock FA for the week, (b) run another shorter blind bidding period to account for players dropped or (c) have a first come first serve period.

We use it in Football and it works great. I'm not sure it will work for daily leagues.

OK, that clarifies things. I was in the same boat as Genie. I can't see how that could possibly work at all for a daily league.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Seanyfever wrote:Ditto.
I like the bidding for all moves as well. Hate a league with teams that have 100 roster moves and no trades. %-6

Free agents cost money in real life.

You can always put a transaction cap on the league whether it be for the whole season total or on a weekly basis. We get guys in our league that love to churn pitchers. I instituted a 4 move per week cap and it's worked great. They can still churn but they have to think about it a little more instead of simply adding 7 starters for the weekend and letting them all ride.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 am

^^Yes! Exactly what I'd like to see happen! Yahoo could send out notification emails to all league members just like they do when a trade is accepted. They could also maybe notify league members by posting something on the front page of the league or at the top of each team's page where you would find proposed trades and such. And then after your league's waiver claim period expires (2 days or whatever it may be), the highest bidder gets the player.

Allowing owners to bid on all players, including free agents, is the fairest way to do things. It shouldn't be on a "first-come, first-served" basis. I hate when I have to rush to a computer to pick up a player before a league rival does. Not everyone can sit in front of a computer all day.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers