Future 1B Studs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Future 1B Studs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Future 1B Studs

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 am

I have cooled on Hosmer. That age screams no ML this season...unless he hits 35+ jacks and hits .300+
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Freebird27 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Freebird27 wrote:How about Sands? Not like Loney is going to block 1B

Fantasy wide maybe so but in reality Loney is a great with the glove and does still produce runs despite his lack of power.

You mean fantasy baseball is not reality? Dammit!

Seriously though....with the way that lineup is constructed they need a legit power bat at 1b.....Kemp and Ethier cant be their only impact bats...and I dont think Loney qualifies.
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 am

Jerry Sands is a big guy but he could probably move to left field permanently if he had too. He's played outfield in the minors and he's performed fine there.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby pungent » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Heres a list I've been looking at. I too am in need of a 1B so I've been eyeing up these guys during spring training.

1. Eric Hosmer

2. Freddie Freeman

3. Brandon Belt

4. Dayan Viciedo

5. Yonder Alonso

6. Chris Carter

7. Anthony Rizzo

8. Lars Anderson

9. Mark Trumbo

10. Chris Marrero

btw, this is not how I'd rank them either. Belt is on top of the list for me.

Mainly the bottom 3 you haven't covered yet. I like Trumbo the best out of those 3 then Marrero. Marrero has the best chance to get the gig sooner and has some pop that you look for in a 1B. With Gonzo in Bahston now, I don't see Anderson getting a call up anytime soon. More likely he'll be trade bait now. Trumbo has same issues in LA, but Morales has to prove he's not injury prone now.
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:03 am

pungent wrote:Heres a list I've been looking at. I too am in need of a 1B so I've been eyeing up these guys during spring training.

1. Eric Hosmer

2. Freddie Freeman

3. Brandon Belt

4. Dayan Viciedo

5. Yonder Alonso

6. Chris Carter

7. Anthony Rizzo

8. Lars Anderson

9. Mark Trumbo

10. Chris Marrero

btw, this is not how I'd rank them either. Belt is on top of the list for me.

Mainly the bottom 3 you haven't covered yet. I like Trumbo the best out of those 3 then Marrero. Marrero has the best chance to get the gig sooner and has some pop that you look for in a 1B. With Gonzo in Bahston now, I don't see Anderson getting a call up anytime soon. More likely he'll be trade bait now. Trumbo has same issues in LA, but Morales has to prove he's not injury prone now.

Remember, the AL guys on this list could get some time if any of the DHs do down too. So, if Ortiz needs time off, I see Anderson getting the call.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:53 am

If that list is for this season then Hosmer is definitely below Freeman and Belt. And probably below Viciedo (not a fan tbh) and Alonso (a fan). I just don't see many scenarios that have Hosmer getting more than 100 AB's this season (if he gets that many). There is no reason for the Royals to call up a 21 yr old with half a season of AA experience entering the season.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby pungent » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 pm

kab21 wrote:If that list is for this season then Hosmer is definitely below Freeman and Belt.

This list is designed for the best 1B prospects, not particularly for this year only. I agree that Belt and Freeman should be above Hosmer, but Hosmer his a big league bat and if I had protection at 1B he'd be 2nd off my board after Belt. I like Freeman, but I see him posting similar numbers to Butler (plus plus in all categories except power).
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:02 pm

pungent wrote:
kab21 wrote:If that list is for this season then Hosmer is definitely below Freeman and Belt.

This list is designed for the best 1B prospects, not particularly for this year only. I agree that Belt and Freeman should be above Hosmer, but Hosmer his a big league bat and if I had protection at 1B he'd be 2nd off my board after Belt. I like Freeman, but I see him posting similar numbers to Butler (plus plus in all categories except power).

Singleton needs to be on this list then because he's better than probably half the list imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:54 pm

kab21 wrote:
pungent wrote:

Singleton needs to be on this list then because he's better than probably half the list imo.

I would agree with that. Long term I still only see Hosmer, Singleton and maybe Belt as top tier 1B. I don't see Freeman having enough power and most of the other guys I am just not confident in.

I know there are a lot of things that can still happen (Pedro moving to 1B, Smoak able to hit ML pitching or Butler hitting those doubles for HR) but the future of 1B right now looks a little weak.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby pungent » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:Jerry Sands is a big guy but he could probably move to left field permanently if he had too. He's played outfield in the minors and he's performed fine there. ;-D ;-D

This kid is moving up fast. He's off to an impressive start to the Spring. Should be interesting to see if he can get a Sept. call up this yr, he's more than likely going to take over for Loney in a couple yrs once the Dodger's realize his stick isn't too impressive for the 1B spot.
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball