Future 1B Studs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Future 1B Studs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Future 1B Studs

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 pm

I have been thinking (I know should be done with moderation) about who the next 1B studs are going to be. We all know that 1B is the deepest and has been for a long time and really doubt that will change anytime soon. But when you look at the crop of 1B in the minors, it doesn't look that great.

Some background. I play in a dynasty league and currently have Pujols and Votto on my team. Both are top 1B and likely have a 3-5 years of solid production left. But after that, I probably will need a 1B. Very likely I could find one off the WW or trade or something but my league is deep (35 MLB roster) and has minor leagues (20 man roster) so looking ahead could pay off big time.

If you look at the top 15 first basemen right now, only Butler (25) and Davis (24) are under the age of 27. That means a lot of teams are going to need 1B in the next 3-5 years.

The guys I think of as future 1B:

Hosmer
Montero (C yes but 1B eventually)
Freeman - Not enough power IMO
Belt
Singleton - Heir to Howard (not with that contract on the table...I know right)
Smoak
Rizzo

Any other guys I am missing?

And who do are the most likely to be a first round pick in 3 years?

By the way, not really trying to argue anything here so if I got something wrong let me know but just wanted some other opinions on this.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Future 1B Studs

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:22 pm

IMO Belt, Montero and Hosmer are the ones with potential to be first round picks. Freeman doesn't have the power, BA is Smoak's issue, Rizzo hasn't put it all together (I think he's more of a .280 25-30 HR guy tops). Singleton I don't know that much about, but how many at bats did he get at AA last year?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby mblax10 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 am

People seem to be forgetting about Chirs Carter because he had 1 very rough month in the majors. Yeah, he strikes out a lot, but he has as much power as anybody in the minors and he's basically major league ready.

Along with Montero, some other top prospects who may move to 1B down the road:
Dayan Vicedo (already spent some time their last year)
Derrek Norris
Brett Lawrie (Looks like he may try 3B this year and LF may be his final home)
Gary Sanchez
Bobby Borchering
Hank Conger
J.P. Arencibia

I don't think focusing on 1B is the best strategy. Yes, in 5 years there will be a bunch of 1B drafted in the 1st round and not all of them will be guys currently in the majors. At 1B, you have to hit so much just to make the majors and so much more to have fantasy value. There will be plenty of other guys who switch to 1B that nobody saw coming.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:36 am

mblax10 wrote:People seem to be forgetting about Chirs Carter because he had 1 very rough month in the majors. Yeah, he strikes out a lot, but he has as much power as anybody in the minors and he's basically major league ready.

Along with Montero, some other top prospects who may move to 1B down the road:
Dayan Vicedo (already spent some time their last year)
Derrek Norris
Brett Lawrie (Looks like he may try 3B this year and LF may be his final home)
Gary Sanchez
Bobby Borchering
Hank Conger
J.P. Arencibia

I don't think focusing on 1B is the best strategy. Yes, in 5 years there will be a bunch of 1B drafted in the 1st round and not all of them will be guys currently in the majors. At 1B, you have to hit so much just to make the majors and so much more to have fantasy value. There will be plenty of other guys who switch to 1B that nobody saw coming.

I know this is kind of worthless because who knows what will happen but A) I need something to think about because baseball season is still months away and B) If there is a position that you can usually tell a player is going to end up there, it is first base.

I thought about adding in Chris Carter but for whatever reason didn't. I guess I didn't think he was quite in the same league as Montero and Hosmer. Norris and Conger are interesting additions.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Since I revved up my baseball research for 2011 I have without a doubt caught a serious case of manlove for Eric Hosmer. In my CBS H2H league he may go undrafted if he quickly gts sent to minor league camp. Then...when to claim? When to claim.?

We have very short benches and thus carrying him may hurt for three months.

Oh when to claim that kid? :-L
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 381)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Montana168 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Since I revved up my baseball research for 2011 I have without a doubt caught a serious case of manlove for Eric Hosmer. In my CBS H2H league he may go undrafted if he quickly gts sent to minor league camp. Then...when to claim? When to claim.?

We have very short benches and thus carrying him may hurt for three months.

Oh when to claim that kid? :-L

Will all depend on the success or failure of Kila Ka'aihue and Billy Butler because they are the two players that are blocking him at the moment. Obviously he is going to start the season in the minors, but how long he stays down there is ultimately up to how well those two previously mentioned players perform and whether or not the Royals move either player (Ka'aihue would be more likely than Butler moving) at the deadline. I personally like Ka'aihue as a sleeper 1b this year because of his monster power potential and I know that no one thinks he is a .280+ BA hitter but he has outstanding plate discipline in the minors (walks more than he K's). You could also chalk that up to being and older prospect playing against younger pitchers, who knows. I think he is this year Nelson Cruz, former 'AAAA' player that breaks out, but only time will tell. IMO, Hosmer only gets a sept. callup.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't think Hosmer will have much fantasy value this season. He might get called up but even if he does he's still only 21 and probably won't hit better than the freely available waiver wire fodder. 2 years from he gets very interesting and he'll be a guy that I want.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby ianmac220 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 am

Out of that list, I love Belt. I fully believe he is going to be an All Star first baseman in the future
ianmac220
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Freebird27 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23 pm

How about Sands? Not like Loney is going to block 1B
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:35 am

Freebird27 wrote:How about Sands? Not like Loney is going to block 1B

Fantasy wide maybe so but in reality Loney is a great with the glove and does still produce runs despite his lack of power.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 107)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball