League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!!

Postby bigmck » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:51 am

clubhouseotter20 wrote:How would you go about breaking ties in the final standings?

The chances of a tie in Roto are very slim, but still you need to have a rule for it. Here is how my leagues do it.

26) Breaking Ties In Standings

The tie-breaking procedure for the standings are as follows:
A) The tied teams are ranked in each catagory as in the normal standings (In a three-way tie, the top team gets 3 points - second, 2 points and last, 1 point). The points are totaled for each catagory and the most points gets the higher place in the standings.

B) If a tie still exists after the first tie-breaker, the tied teams will take their total innings pitched and multiply by three. To this number they will add the total at bats. The higher of this composite number will determine the higher place in the standings.

This is not something we made up, it came out of the Official Glenn-Waggoner Rotissirie Rules.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnchezy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Also, if anyone uses a keeper cap instead of having a set number of keepers please let me know why you chose to go that way. Any benefits to doing it that way or should I avoid it? Thanks.

We have a salary cap without a cap on keepers.
Is that what the question is?

In my league... you can sign any # of players to any length contract.
So you can keep Player A for 2 years, Player B for 5 years and Player C for 10 years as long as they all fit inside the cap.
The contracts increase by $2 each season, so it curbs against the long term deals.
We use the CBS value ratings that they release each season to determine the starting point of any new contract.

The reason we do it this way?
I don't like the idea of capping the # of keepers. I'd rather let teams decide who they want to keep and how they want to spend their money. It puts the power in their hands like they are the real GMs of their own team and it makes it more fun and more realistic.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:44 am

bigmck wrote:
clubhouseotter20 wrote:How would you go about breaking ties in the final standings?

The chances of a tie in Roto are very slim, but still you need to have a rule for it. Here is how my leagues do it.

26) Breaking Ties In Standings

The tie-breaking procedure for the standings are as follows:
A) The tied teams are ranked in each catagory as in the normal standings (In a three-way tie, the top team gets 3 points - second, 2 points and last, 1 point). The points are totaled for each catagory and the most points gets the higher place in the standings.

B) If a tie still exists after the first tie-breaker, the tied teams will take their total innings pitched and multiply by three. To this number they will add the total at bats. The higher of this composite number will determine the higher place in the standings.

This is not something we made up, it came out of the Official Glenn-Waggoner Rotissirie Rules.

Thanks. I'm hoping we won't have to use a tie-breaker to determine who takes home prize money, but as long as everyone knows it's in the rules then no one can complain, right?
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 am

johnchezy wrote:
Also, if anyone uses a keeper cap instead of having a set number of keepers please let me know why you chose to go that way. Any benefits to doing it that way or should I avoid it? Thanks.

We have a salary cap without a cap on keepers.
Is that what the question is?

The reason we do it this way?
I don't like the idea of capping the # of keepers. I'd rather let teams decide who they want to keep and how they want to spend their money. It puts the power in their hands like they are the real GMs of their own team and it makes it more fun and more realistic.

I think that's what I'm asking... instead of having teams keep five players they'd be allowed to keep as many players as they want/can up to $120 worth. That amount would be subtracted from their auction budget to bid on players during the draft. Is this how your league does it? Only thing I'm worried about is one or two teams separating themselves from the pack for years at a time. Has there been this separation in your league? I can see how this awards owners for finding multiple bargains, but I just don't want owners losing interest after three or four years if one teams keeps winning every year.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnchezy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:17 am

We're going into our 5th year of our contracts era and there have 3 different title winners in that span of 4 seasons.
The team that won twice is right now behind the 8 ball with his current roster/salary. He will no doubt go into rebuilding mode, but he has 2 titles to show for it, so not bad.
The team that won last year will almost surely win again this year as he built his team from the ground up and did it right. He has what some other teams are going to be using as the model.
I feel like our league has some pretty good parody, but I certainly know what you're thinking and the concerns you have.
It's always hard to keep owners around if they are perpetually struggling to compete. The only thing I hope for is finding a better owner each time one leaves. We have a pretty good group right now--of our 11 years in existence, I'm most happy with this group.

We don't have an auction draft, we have a normal draft with a team salary of $140. We use the CBS values to determine the players worth and owners can choose what players to sign from that point. The team that won last year and is strong this year signed a lot of cheap ($1-$2) minor league players or high end prospects 3-4 years ago (like Longoria, Jay Bruce, Ubaldo Jiminez, Justin Smoak, Pedro Alvarez, Matt Wieters, etc.) In doing so, he was able to develop a strong team and keep his salary low. He still got some high end players like Miguel Cabrera and Roy Halladay, but he focuses on younger players and being patient. Other owners choose to go all out for a chance to win it "now" and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I love having the option.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:20 am

I have never done a salary cap for Keepers. It has always been that an owner could keep up to eleven players of our 23 man roster. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two unless one team ended up with a lot of low salary players. In our case he might be able to keep more than eleven this year, but with salary escalation, it would not happen again next year.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby dfa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

clubhouseotter20 wrote:Also, if anyone uses a keeper cap instead of having a set number of keepers please let me know why you chose to go that way. Any benefits to doing it that way or should I avoid it? Thanks.

I am in two leagues. In one of my leagues there used to be a keeper tax and a salary cap. A player's initial cap number was determined by where he was drafted. The keeper tax was $5 per year per player. There was a set cap for your team, so if you kept a first round player, that meant you likely would not be able to draft in the first round of the next draft. I really liked it because you were rewarded for picking a future star late in the draft...so a guy like Tim Lincecum had a really low salary cap number, the reward for picking him in the first place. However, it became difficult to manage for the league's commissioner, so he went with the simpler route of having 5 keepers that you can keep for a max of 3 years.

Having said all that, if it were up to me, I would design a league that is auction style. Your keeper's value is based on how much he was originally bid for, plus a keeper tax. So your managers will have differing amounts to use in future auctions based on the total values of their keepers.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lenny6 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Lots of good advice in here already. As others have mentioned, the escalating salaries will help make sure that there are attractive players in the auction each season and prevent teams from holding on to players forever.

In my league we have a maximum on players AND salary. For example, the max is 11 players or $120, whichever comes first. And while we do have escalating salaries, we also limit the number of times a player can be kept to three (a total of four seasons including the year first won at auction). There are always some good players available at auction, but some exciting bidding wars because there isn't tons of available players. And a bonus not to be overlooked in keeping more players is that the auction is considerably shorter!!

And the in-season salary cap became a MUST after a couple of seasons due to dump trades that inevitably will happen in this format.
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice given.

Like I mentioned, my keeper escalators are $3 for the first year; $5 second year; $7 third year; $10 each additional year. With the way it's set up it will force players like Pujols and Hanley back into the auction after a few years unless the owner is willing to sacrifice a huge chunk of his auction budget to keep them.

In my league we have a maximum on players AND salary. For example, the max is 11 players or $120, whichever comes first.

The idea of having both a keeper cap (say $100-$120) AND a set number of keepers (5, 6, or 7) is really intriguing. I think I'm going to mull over this idea for a while and then pitch it to the league. It would allow owners the chance to keep a few bargains along with their studs while making sure one owner doesn't build an unbeatable powerhouse and destroy the league. Sounds like a good balance to me.

And given all the advice it sounds like I will be using an in-season salary cap. I just hope Yahoo! has that option for 2011.

Thanks again guys. If I have any other questions I'll be sure to post here since you've been extremely helpful.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:26 am

don't know exactly how you combat this, but it doesn't seem to take many years for the best managers in auction leagues to acquire the best players and the best prices. Guess its supposed to work like that to some extent. I'll never forget playing in an auction league when Vlad was starting out. He ended up keeping him 7-8 years and always at a huge discount. Longoria was another guy recently that gave owners a huge return often at a bargain price.You want to reward their foresight, but I always wondered if it was good for a league to have $25-30 players only costing $4-5. Good for the guys who got the Cargo's & Posey's on the cheap, those teams could contend for as long as the contracts allow. Anyway you can put provisions in to help the unlucky or less skilled teams rebuild seems like a good thing to keep in mind. Its more fun to think about the best teams assembling great teams and winning, but you as commish want to have a strong league from the bottom up. Auctions seem to have a way of seperating the have from the have-nots; great if you have a very evenly matched group of owners
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner