League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!!

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 am

Hey guys,

I'm starting a new money auction keeper league this year and was wondering if some of you experienced commissioners/owners could help me out. We're currently discussing league settings and such, but there's some disagreement on a couple of important issues. The basics: It's a 12 (maybe 14)-team 5x5 MIXED ROTO league. The keeper escalators are $3 for the first year, $5 for the second, $7 for the third, and $10 for each additional year. No limit on the number of years you can keep a player -- you'll just have to pony up the money to keep on keeping someone. Here are the issues we're stuck on:

1) NUMBER OF KEEPERS. One of the major hang ups has been the number of players we should keep each year. My suggestion is we should keep a maximum of 5 while someone else suggested there should be no limit. His argument is that it gives owners the option of keeping as many players as they can afford at the cost of fielding a competitive roster. It would force difficult decisions, but at the same time reward owners for finding multiple bargains.

My argument is that having fewer keepers would create more turnover and keep the draft exciting. Also, since it is a money league I'm fearful that one or two teams may build powerhouses and pull away from the rest of the league thus sucking all the fun and interest from it. The last thing I want is to go out and recruit new managers every other year due to teams dropping out of the league because they don't want to be wasting $50 per year for the next three years while they rebuild.

2) ROSTER POSITIONS & SIZE. It seems everyone in our league has agreed that our offense should be: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL. Where we disagree is how the pitching rotation should be set up as well as the number of reserves. I'm thinking something along the lines of SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P or maybe SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P. Any thoughts?

As for the number of reserves... what is a good number? We've already decided we're going to have 22 starters (offense & pitching combined), so should we go with a small bench or a big bench to allow the stashing of young players? Some numbers that have been thrown around include 3, 5, and 8 bench slots.

The final number of roster positions will ultimately determine our auction budget, as well as our in-season salary cap, which leads me to #3...

3) IN-SEASON SALARY CAP. What are the PROS and CONS of an in-season salary cap? My thinking is that an in-season salary cap would prevent lower-level teams from making huge dump trades that would affect the outcome of the final league standings. The last thing we want is the last place team trading away their best, most expensive players to the first place team for young, cheap, and unproven players. I know that is kind of the point of a keeper league and teams do it in MLB all the time, but this is fantasy baseball. We don't want someone winning the league due to the decision of a bottom feeder, especially when there's a lot of money at stake. Any thoughts on this?

I'm hoping Yahoo! allows in-season salary caps this season, but I'm not holding my breath. If they don't I guess I'll have to do it manually, that is, if the league decides they even want one.

I think that's it... at least for now. I've been playing fantasy baseball for 11 years, but this is my first time doing an auction draft so I want to make sure the league gets off on the right foot in our inaugural season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: League Settings... need YOUR help & advice!!!

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:01 am

Hi -- I have been running an Auction League for 17 years so I have been through everything that you are talking about. You have things in good order of how the league should be run. == The salary escalation is good. This stops owners from keeping players too long and makes your spring auction always have good players. == I believe that if you keep less than five players each year, it takes away the effect of an aucton league. We keep a max of eleven but can keep fewer. There are always good players in the spring auction. Your member that wanted it unlimited is just not thinking , that would destroy the league. == The positions are good. I don't think the number of required SP is that critical but 4 SP, 2 RP and 3 P is a good mix. My league is just 9 P and it works fine. == As far as your bench, don't make it too big. I would say five is a good number. == Now your Auction Budget. The normal is $260 for 23 players. If you decide on 22 active and 5 bench you would prorate the $260 and 23. $260 divided by 23 times 27 would give you $305 for 27 players. Now the In Season Cap is important, must have that. My league has the $260 auction day and $290 in season. This gives room to make a dump trade or two, but not enough to go crazy. I would suggest for your league $40 above the Auction Day cap you are using. == One thing you didn't mention is how your in season free agents will be picked up. We bid on every pickup with the FAAB. == You also made the statement about the In Season Cap "If the league even wants one". I like to let my league vote on almost everything, but when forming a league, you have to sometimes just do something because it is right. You are forming the league and if you don't get it right to start with it is hard to get the guys to change things later. Stick to your guns and put in the things that you think are needed. You will be thankful later. Good luck on the league.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby MTUCache » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 pm

In-season salary cap and FAAB are probably the last two major items that you need to address.

1.) I like the salary escalation, and "lots of keepers" vs. "lots of turnover" is really more about what your particular players want, not what's "best". If owners in your league like a dynasty feel to the league, then let them keep whoever. If they just want to hang onto their all-stars to stay connected to their team year after year, limit it to five keepers or so. Either way I think it works out, as long as people are getting what they expect.

2.) SP/RP/P spots really doesn't make a huge difference in a 5x5 roto league unless you've got a crazy IP-limit that somehow makes either starters or closers much more valuable. Assuming you're using a reasonable limit I think you should just leave it all up to owners what pitchers they want. If they want to stock up on closers and lock up Saves that's fine, if they want to punt saves and start 8 pitchers, that's fine too... it's one less thing for you to worry about and less whining when player SP/RP eligibility becomes an issue.

I personally am not a big fan of the CI/MI/5xOF setup, but not having a second catcher is definitely a plus. It all depends on the player depth you're going for... in a 12 team league I don't think it's a problem either way. Even if 14 it's not too bad, but any bigger than that and you start having trouble just finding replacement players with playing time.

3.) I'd be looking more into this... if you're using standard auction budgets I think it would be a pretty simple thing to find a good FAAB budget that somebody else is using. You've obviously got to allow some "rebuilding" teams to trade away their keepers, but that in-season cap is going to be crucial to limit people from trading away future draft-picks to stock up on all-stars. I'd also be setting ground rules now about how far in the future you're allowed to trade picks (I'd say next year's picks only, if any draft picks at all can be traded.) and whether those picks need to be "paid for" or not before you ditch your team and we have to find someone else to take over a crippled team with no decent keepers or draft picks.

Sounds like a pretty good foundation you've got here... I like. ;-D
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Lol... nice catch by fastdogs.

Ignore any mention of "draft picks" by me in my previous post. Forgot it's an auction league. :*)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 pm

bigmck wrote:Hi -- I have been running an Auction League for 17 years so I have been through everything that you are talking about. You have things in good order of how the league should be run. == The salary escalation is good. This stops owners from keeping players too long and makes your spring auction always have good players. == I believe that if you keep less than five players each year, it takes away the effect of an aucton league. We keep a max of eleven but can keep fewer. There are always good players in the spring auction. Your member that wanted it unlimited is just not thinking , that would destroy the league. == The positions are good. I don't think the number of required SP is that critical but 4 SP, 2 RP and 3 P is a good mix. My league is just 9 P and it works fine. == As far as your bench, don't make it too big. I would say five is a good number. == Now your Auction Budget. The normal is $260 for 23 players. If you decide on 22 active and 5 bench you would prorate the $260 and 23. $260 divided by 23 times 27 would give you $305 for 27 players. Now the In Season Cap is important, must have that. My league has the $260 auction day and $290 in season. This gives room to make a dump trade or two, but not enough to go crazy. I would suggest for your league $40 above the Auction Day cap you are using. == One thing you didn't mention is how your in season free agents will be picked up. We bid on every pickup with the FAAB. == You also made the statement about the In Season Cap "If the league even wants one". I like to let my league vote on almost everything, but when forming a league, you have to sometimes just do something because it is right. You are forming the league and if you don't get it right to start with it is hard to get the guys to change things later. Stick to your guns and put in the things that you think are needed. You will be thankful later. Good luck on the league.

Thanks for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Yes, I completely agree with you in that allowing owners to keep an unlimited number of players would destroy the league. It is hard enough to recruit good managers to take over horrible teams in a free keeper league, I can only imagine how much harder it would be to do that in a money league.

This crossed my mind earlier today and I'd like some input -- instead of having a set number of keepers, what about having a keeper cap?... Teams can keep no more than say $150 of their auction budget. Would this still have the same effect of having unlimited keepers, albeit in a much more restrictive fashion? On the surface a keeper cap sounds good, but I haven't been able to run through all the scenarios, both positive and negative, just yet.

As for picking up players off waivers... we used FAAB for the first time last year (first time Yahoo made it an option), and everyone liked it so we're definitely using it again this year. It would be great if Yahoo applied the FAAB for all players including free agents, but I'm not holding my breath on them making that change either. I am not a fan of the first-come, first-served method of picking up free agents... not everyone sits in front of the computer all day.

Our league has also decided not to use games & innings pitched limits. Instead, we'll have a transactions cap (excluding trades) -- 40 or 50 moves max. per team for the entire season. We're doing this to prevent streaming even though we've never had to deal with it in the past. The one thing I am concerned about is teams saving up some of their moves for the last week of the season where streaming players and/or pitchers makes more sense, especially if doing so can push a team over the top. Would it be too restrictive to limit teams to 2 moves for the last week of the season? Is that too extreme? Or should we just let the kids play?

Again, thanks for your help. I will make sure some of things that need to be in place stay in place.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 pm

MTUCache wrote:In-season salary cap and FAAB are probably the last two major items that you need to address.

1.) I like the salary escalation, and "lots of keepers" vs. "lots of turnover" is really more about what your particular players want, not what's "best". If owners in your league like a dynasty feel to the league, then let them keep whoever. If they just want to hang onto their all-stars to stay connected to their team year after year, limit it to five keepers or so. Either way I think it works out, as long as people are getting what they expect.

2.) SP/RP/P spots really doesn't make a huge difference in a 5x5 roto league unless you've got a crazy IP-limit that somehow makes either starters or closers much more valuable. Assuming you're using a reasonable limit I think you should just leave it all up to owners what pitchers they want. If they want to stock up on closers and lock up Saves that's fine, if they want to punt saves and start 8 pitchers, that's fine too... it's one less thing for you to worry about and less whining when player SP/RP eligibility becomes an issue.

I personally am not a big fan of the CI/MI/5xOF setup, but not having a second catcher is definitely a plus. It all depends on the player depth you're going for... in a 12 team league I don't think it's a problem either way. Even if 14 it's not too bad, but any bigger than that and you start having trouble just finding replacement players with playing time.

3.) I'd be looking more into this... if you're using standard auction budgets I think it would be a pretty simple thing to find a good FAAB budget that somebody else is using. You've obviously got to allow some "rebuilding" teams to trade away their keepers, but that in-season cap is going to be crucial to limit people from trading away future draft-picks to stock up on all-stars. I'd also be setting ground rules now about how far in the future you're allowed to trade picks (I'd say next year's picks only, if any draft picks at all can be traded.) and whether those picks need to be "paid for" or not before you ditch your team and we have to find someone else to take over a crippled team with no decent keepers or draft picks.

Sounds like a pretty good foundation you've got here... I like. ;-D

Thanks for your advice and input as well.

With regards to the setup of the pitching rotation, would it be better if I just had nine P spots instead of having slots designated for SP and RP?

And we've already agreed that trades will involve players only and nothing else. We won't allow teams to trade FAAB dollars, salary cap dollars, players-to-be-named later, or "future considerations."

Thanks again.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 pm

You Wrote:
Our league has also decided not to use games & innings pitched limits. Instead, we'll have a transactions cap (excluding trades) -- 40 or 50 moves max. per team for the entire season. We're doing this to prevent streaming even though we've never had to deal with it in the past. The one thing I am concerned about is teams saving up some of their moves for the last week of the season where streaming players and/or pitchers makes more sense, especially if doing so can push a team over the top. Would it be too restrictive to limit teams to 2 moves for the last week of the season? Is that too extreme? Or should we just let the kids play?

There is one thing you could do instead of having a set number of moves is if Yahoo allows the FAAB for all moves, then just set a certain amount of money, say $300 for all year and when that is gone, no more moves can be made. ==
If you go with a set number of moves, you might consider making a limit near the end of the season.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:05 am

How would you go about breaking ties in the final standings?
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby clubhouseotter20 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:52 am

Also, if anyone uses a keeper cap instead of having a set number of keepers please let me know why you chose to go that way. Any benefits to doing it that way or should I avoid it? Thanks.
clubhouseotter20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 am

I have never heard of a salary cap for keepers. It is always a set number of players. It would probably end up being about the same thing though.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner