Beginners Keeper League Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Beginners Keeper League Help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beginners Keeper League Help!

Postby javens » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 pm

The league I commission has finally agreed that this year we should start a keeper league. Every year we have used ESPN, H2H scoring, 12 teams, and regular snake draft.

I am far more interested in deeper fantasy baseball than the rest of the league, and wish I could get them to do an auction draft with salary caps and all that jazz. Unfortunately, most of them are very skeptical of this change and want to take things one step at a time.

Any advice that you guys could give me regarding how to set up the league that beginners would buy in to would be much appreciated. One of the biggest question arising is how the kept players will affect next years draft. From what I've read, the player's previous draft round, and then 2 round earlier, is a good way to determine the keepers value. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Beginners Keeper League Help!

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi -- I will have to pass on helping setup a Keeper Draft League as I have never done that. Just wanted to let you know that on ESPN you can't operate a Keeper Auction League as it does not retain salary or contract years which is what you need to have. There are a lot of guys on here who can help you set up the league. Good Luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 pm

you could run a keeper just hold 3-5 players for each team; that wouldn't change the league very much. If you go to auction thats a whole nother animal; takes many many more hours to complete. Keeping players in rounds where you drafted them is sort of a middle ground; you get rewarded for finding players later in the draft. The basic keeper is you get 5 players to hold and basically everyone would start drafting in the 6th round. Maybe you start small with your group, play in someone else's auction first and see how it goes
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby Commish23 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:24 pm

A few years ago my league started a keeper league with custom rules and going into the 5th year now, so far its worked really well. We allow each team to keep a maximum of 5 players from their final roster from the previous season. We do not allow any players that were drafted in rounds 1-4 from the previous year to be kept. This ensures that that majority of the premier players are going back into the draft each year. Of course guys who get drafted later and have breakout years will slip through this rule, for instance Carlos Gonzalez who was about an 8th round pick last year and now hes a 1st round pick. So we also do not allow any player to be kept for more than 3 consectutive seasons. So for the guy who will keep CarGo, he'll be allowed to keep him for 2 more seasons but after that he'll go back into the draft again. As the commish I will say it is alot of bookkeeping b/c Yahoo does not have very customizable keeper league settings. But aside from that, everyone seems to like the format in our league and its been working very well. Of course this is a very custom league and however you choose to run yours could work just as well. Good luck
Commish23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dfa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 am

javens wrote:Any advice that you guys could give me regarding how to set up the league that beginners would buy in to would be much appreciated. One of the biggest question arising is how the kept players will affect next years draft. From what I've read, the player's previous draft round, and then 2 round earlier, is a good way to determine the keepers value. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I am in a pretty similar boat: ESPN, keeper, league with individuals with various levels of understanding of baseball and fantasy baseball.

Non-auction related idea: 2010 was the first year and while it definitely could have been better, I was pretty surprised when 11 of the 12 members wanted to come back. Anyway, I'm mandating 5 keepers this year. I wanted to do a salary cap, but this is next to impossible in the ESPN format. So what I opted to do was to have each manager hand out 'contracts' for their keepers. So each manager gets to keep 1 player for 5 years, 1 for 4, 1 for 3, etc. The hope is that this will keep the draft having good players each year, while rewarding each manager for drafting well. For another added wrinkle, we are also doing 1 minor league keeper. From a league manager perspective, I have to keep track of the contracts, but hopefully that really won't be too much work. I'm going to post all the contracts on the league message board.

If you are going to do the auction (and I wish my league would do that, but it's just too much time for most of the members), one strategy would be to use their recommended auction values the year that they were drafted. Another idea is to come up with a value for each round drafted, ensuring that the total of each round would equate to your salary cap. Then of course you may be interested in a keeper tax.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mkultra » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 pm

I would recommend this:

- Don't do auction. I love auction, but it's a significant step in complexity, especially with keepers.
- Keep 5 or fewer guys. Don't worry about what round they're picked in. Instead, set a 3-year cap on keeper contracts. Contracts stay with players unless they end the season on the FA list.

What you wind up with is that everyone gets to keep a couple studs and a couple rising stars, but you still keep them cycling back into the pool eventually. There's "just enough" strategy in it to keep people interested without overwhelming your more casual managers.

(FWIW, ESPN does fine with auctions and keeper salaries)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby corefour » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm

mkultra wrote:I would recommend this:

- Don't do auction. I love auction, but it's a significant step in complexity, especially with keepers.
- Keep 5 or fewer guys. Don't worry about what round they're picked in. Instead, set a 3-year cap on keeper contracts. Contracts stay with players unless they end the season on the FA list.

What you wind up with is that everyone gets to keep a couple studs and a couple rising stars, but you still keep them cycling back into the pool eventually. There's "just enough" strategy in it to keep people interested without overwhelming your more casual managers.

Agreed. That's exactly what I do in my league and it works well. Are you in my league? LOL
corefour
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 pm

mkultra wrote:I would recommend this:

Just curious how you handle contracts and salary in ESPN. They have a good FAAB and an auction to start the season, but no place that I can find to record player salaries or contracts. I believe you can reference the previous years auction, but what about the players won in the FAAB during the season. How do you keep track of those other than manually?

Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:57 pm

ESPN doesn't do contracts, but it'll remember last year's salaries. I don't think it'll do an automatic increase for you (though I don't think CBS does, either).

Guys picked up via FAAB are worth $1 (this may be more configurable in their pay product, I know it is on CBS, but it's still a fixed value). The way that some people play, where your FAAB is player salary, is not the norm- generally there's no connection between FAAB dollars and team salary.

Don't think of FAAB as paying for a player- think of it as paying for waiver position.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:26 pm

mkultra wrote:ESPN doesn't do contracts, but it'll remember last year's salaries. I don't think it'll do an automatic increase for you (though I don't think CBS does, either).

Guys picked up via FAAB are worth $1 (this may be more configurable in their pay product, I know it is on CBS, but it's still a fixed value). The way that some people play, where your FAAB is player salary, is not the norm- generally there's no connection between FAAB dollars and team salary.

Don't think of FAAB as paying for a player- think of it as paying for waiver position.

That is pretty much what I thought. We keep contracts and use the FAAB as a player salary with bidding on every pickup. It gives the player a true market value. == Thanks for the info. I was just curious if our league could be done on ESPN.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner