What do you guys think of my league setup?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What do you guys think of my league setup??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you guys think of my league setup??

Postby Eric21ND » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi everyone just joined the forum, which I think is pretty damn cool already. I'm running several fantasy leagues again this season and I'd like some opinions on my setup of those leagues. Of course I'm also open to anyone who would like to join them too. I plan to run both money leagues and just for fun leagues.

Head-to-Head League

Max Teams: 18
Playoffs: Week 23, 24 and 25 (8 teams)

Roster Positions:C
1B
2B
3B
SS
OF
OF
OF
Util

SP
SP
SP
SP
RP
RP
P
P
P

BN
BN
BN
BN
BN

DL
DL

Player Max: 23 active and 2 DL

Batter Stat Categories:Runs (R),
Hits (H),
Home Runs (HR),
Runs Batted In (RBI),
Stolen Bases (SB),
Walks (BB),
Total Bases (TB),
Batting Average (AVG),
Slugging Percentage (SLG),
On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories:

Innings Pitched (IP),
Wins (W),
Complete Games (CG),
Shutouts (SHO),
Saves (SV),
Outs (OUT),
Strikeouts (K),
Earned Run Average (ERA),
(Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP),
Quality Starts (QS)

Min Innings Pitched: 30/week
Max Moves: League will decide or 80
Max Trades: League will decide or no max
Trade End Date: League will decide
Trade Review: League Votes
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What do you guys think of my league setup??

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi -- I don't think you have enough active players. I would add two OF, a MI and CI and reduce the bench by two. == One other thing to be aware of. The season starts on Thursday and ends on Wednesday this year. It has not been determined yet, but most likely the stat services will make the first week eleven days and the last week 10 days. This means that there will be only 24 weeks in the season instead of the normal 25. You might stay on top of that for your scheduling.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Eric21ND » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am

bigmck wrote:Hi -- I don't think you have enough active players. I would add two OF, a MI and CI and reduce the bench by two. == One other thing to be aware of. The season starts on Thursday and ends on Wednesday this year. It has not been determined yet, but most likely the stat services will make the first week eleven days and the last week 10 days. This means that there will be only 24 weeks in the season instead of the normal 25. You might stay on top of that for your scheduling.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but I've always liked to keep fantasy baseball somewhat close to reality position-wise. MI and CI are just made up positions to overstack in the hitting department and you already have a UTI/DH spot for that. I just never liked it. What do you think of the categories? Do you think I should add HOLDS and get rid of OUTS for pitchers?
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 am

If you already have TB, then HRs is basically obsolete. To make it even, just take out OUTs.
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Eric21ND » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:21 am

MorseOverTaveras wrote:If you already have TB, then HRs is basically obsolete. To make it even, just take out OUTs.

So you're saying lose TBs and OUTS?
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

I believe that's what I meant...Or if you want to cut down some more, get rid of SLG (OPS makes it redundant) and possibly CG (all based on luck and not good indicator of skill.)
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:22 pm

ive never likes shutouts and CGs...too flukey. 1 will win you both cats most weeks.

also ive never seen outs...seems teh same as IP though..whcih ive never liked

and i agree to take out TB. also walks seems weird to me....but bc ive never used it.
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:33 pm

10x10 is WAY too many categories for a H2H league... There's no way I'd feel good about equating something as rare as shutouts to something as prolific as Hits or Total Bases, let alone a single player getting a CGSHO and winning you two categories by himself that week.

As always, something gets way out of whack when you start adding too many spices into something.

With pitching categories like IP, W, CG, SHO, OUTs, QS and Ks... who the heck would even bother with fielding a closer to get some saves if they didn't have to? There's no way a handful of Saves each week would make up for losing out on all the rest of those counting stats, and doubtful that they'd provide enough of a bump in WHIP/ERA to even notice on a weekly basis. Starting pitchers with RP eligibility would suddenly become the hottest and most sought-after players in the league, WAY more valuable than the closers that would normally be getting fielded in those spots, if only for the IP, Ks, and OUTs they get.

I tried one of these types of leagues once... that was more than enough for me. :-L
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:32 pm

MTUCache wrote:10x10 is WAY too many categories for a H2H league

Couldn't agree more. Resist the urge to keep adding things. Edit! :-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Kodiak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:35 am

To be honest, an 18-team league that drafts 23 rounds sounds way too deep. My leagues usually have 10 teams and we draft 22 rounds. That setup has worked well for us. Our teams can safely assume that every closer and SP1-SP3 will be taken on draft day. But if you draft an SP1 and he goes down with an injury, you have options; you could pick up an SP4 somewhere. And if you don't like the C you drafted, you could have options elsewhere too.

I joined a 16-team fantasy football league this year and it was a nightmare. We drafted like 25 rounds. By the end of it, I was looking through player profiles of people who were considering retirement. When I had a RB go down for the season, there was no one on the waiver wire. That turned me off real fast and I didn't follow it much for the rest of the year.

Just concerned that if your league is too deep that you could have the same problem. It's always a challenge as league commissioner to (1) find 10 guys who want to play, and (2) find 10 guys who will make an effort to follow their teams and set their lineups down the stretch.

Good luck!!

Kodiak :-D
Kodiak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner