Highest return team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Highest return team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Highest return team

Postby prguy1979 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:59 am

I was wondering if everyone could pick 1 players from each position C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS plus 3 OF, 4SP and 3 RP that they expect to bring back the biggest return whom would those players be and why? Using standard 5 x 5 scoring and expected auction price in any magazine you may have on hand. Below are my picks.

Not sure if I am allowed to name the magazine I am using so I wont...

C-Geovany Soto-$11-I think Soto will be even better in 2011 than he was in 2010 and might even flirt with his 2008 numbers if he stays healthy.
1st- Kendry Morales-$14- After that foot injury cost him nearly 2/3 of the season he is returning with a new found sense of self-control.
2nd-Aaron Hill-$9- Others took the stage away from Hill in Toronto last year. With the lights not shinning on him any longer he will be more relax and play within himself.
SS- Stephen Drew-$6- Call it a long shot but I think this is the year this kid puts it all together for us.
3rd- Ian Stewart-$7- I’m thinking greed here. With Tulo scoring such a big contract during the off-season how can a guy not be motivated to put it all together.
OF1-Jay Bruce- $15- Everyone is picking this guy to have a monster season. So am I ;-D OF2- Nick OF2Markakis- $11- I know everyone is tired of waiting on this guys potential year after year but I think it will arrive this time around.
OF3-Carlos Quentin-$5- I’m looking at the Adam Dunn signing as a great tool for Quentin to once again focus.

SP1-Roy Oswalt-$10- Will have a fire in his eyes from day 1 and wont look back.
SP2- Matt Garza-$6- His original price tag may be a little higher since being traded but even with that it will be easy for him to out perform his value now that he pitches in the NL.
SP3-Javier Vazquez- $3- Home sweet home. Back in the NL all should be great…right?
SP4- A.J. Burnett- $1- I remember this guy in Florida and than in Toronto. His first season in strips was not a bad one either. I’d say he is more like those seasons than last season and take my chances on a big return. Unfortunately my league is full of Yankee fans so he will likely be over priced.
RP1- Jonathan Papelbon-$13- I think he is up to the challenges of Daniel Bard. With the new offence he will have ample opportunity to succeed.
RP2- John Axford- $4- Fielder is in a contract year. McGehee, Weeks, and Hart should all improve to a degree. Braun should be his usual self. I think this guy will have the chances to record those saves week after week.
RP3- Matt Thornton- $1- If he get the closer roll he will be a huge return. If not he will still have a good size return.

Im going to look at this list after the season is over to see what kind of return I gained if any. Feel free to put up your own list. Im curious what others have to say.
16 team mix BA R RBI BB SB SLG ERA W K HD S Whip
C /Castro
1/3/CI Donaldson/Wright/Votto
2/SS/MI
OF Jones/Brantly/Trout
DH
P Sale/Wanwrigth/Wheeler
prguy1979
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Highest return team

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 pm

I think Markakis's value has lowered enough to the point where he's become a good value because you know what you're going to get out of him with the potential for a higher return.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby MTUCache » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Some of these I'm definitely down with, and a few I'm... eh... about.

I'm just not sure I'm seeing the "value" here, at least in how I'm interpreting this. You're picking one player at each position, but not necessarily saying that you'd like to have them all on your team, correct? I mean, if you filled out your starting roster with all of these guys for $120, you're going to be leaving a lot of money on the table at the end of the auction.

I guess I just don't look at guys from this perspective very often. Rather than looking for generic "value" out of a position, I'm looking for specific types of value based on where I am in filling out my roster, who's left on the board, and what my competitors are looking for. While auction values for players at the top and bottom of the board are generally well defined going in, players in the middle of the board (like basically all of the guys you've got listed here) are going to fluctuate wildly from auction to auction based on how they go and the owners in them.

While Soto may be a good value for you at $11, it's not like you're going to start off the auction nominating him for $8 and hoping to "steal" him when the market on catchers hasn't even been established yet. Likewise, if you've got plenty of money at the back end of a draft and you're going up against another owner for the last decent closer Axford could go for easily double what you've listed and you'd still be perfectly happy with that.

I dunno... maybe I go about auctions differently than most guys, but to me it's just way too fluid to try and target "values" at certain dollar ranges. The rosters left to be filled and the money yet to be spent makes trying to assign dollar-values to these guys next to impossible, for me at least.
Last edited by MTUCache on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Any mag with Morales @ $14 should be ripped up and thrown away.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby prguy1979 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Tavish wrote:Any mag with Morales @ $14 should be ripped up and thrown away.

I agree with you on that one. The magazine I have is very suspicious. Luckly I got it for free so no biggie. I only used it for this posting. My values are alot diffenrent. I just thought it would be something intresting to do. Im still a newbie at this and am just now starting to put more effort into it so i thought...why not give it a try and see what happens.
C /Castro
2/SS/MI
OF Jones/Brantly/Trout
DH
P Sale/Wanwrigth/Wheeler
prguy1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby prguy1979 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

MTUCache wrote:Some of these I'm definitely down with, and a few I'm... eh... about.

I'm just not sure I'm seeing the "value" here, at least in how I'm interpreting this. You're picking one player at each position, but not necessarily saying that you'd like to have them all on your team, correct? I mean, if you filled out your starting roster with all of these guys for $120, you're going to be leaving a lot of money on the table at the end of the auction.

I guess I just don't look at guys from this perspective very often. Rather than looking for generic "value" out of a position, I'm looking for specific types of value based on where I am in filling out my roster, who's left on the board, and what my competitors are looking for. While auction values for players at the top and bottom of the board are generally well defined going in, players in the middle of the board (like basically all of the guys you've got listed here) are going to fluctuate wildly from auction to auction based on how they go and the owners in them.

While Soto may be a good value for you at $11, it's not like you're going to start off the auction nominating him for $8 and hoping to "steal" him when the market on catchers hasn't even been established yet. Likewise, if you've got plenty of money at the back end of a draft and you're going up against another owner for the last decent closer Axford could go for easily double what you've listed and you'd still be perfectly happy with that.

I dunno... maybe I go about auctions differently than most guys, but to me it's just way too fluid to try and target "values" at certain dollar ranges. The rosters left to be filled and the money yet to be spent makes trying to assign dollar-values to these guys next to impossible, for me at least.

Yea I saw that I still have pleanty of money to spend at the draft. I thoght of doing this after seeing something similar to it online done last season. I thought maybe I would be some great sleepers out of it. This is definatly not the team im going in with for next season. I also dont plan on picking up many of thse players at all. Im simply using the value they have according to a 2011 magazine I currently have.
C /Castro
2/SS/MI
OF Jones/Brantly/Trout
DH
P Sale/Wanwrigth/Wheeler
prguy1979
College Coach
College Coach