Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League

Postby mekman20 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 pm

So my friends and I have been doing single season leagues for a few years now, and we've recently decided that we will start doing a keeper league, beginning this year. We're trying to set clear rules from the outset, as keeper leagues obviously add much different scenarios. How have you guys run keeper leagues in the past? What rules or guidelines have you guys come across that you feel keeps the league the most competitive? We've been discussing some things. We started auctions last year, which we liked, so we'll draft that style again. It seems we've settled on 3 keepers. We're kind of running the idea that keeper's values stay the same as when they were drafted (or if they're pickups, setting a minimum keeper price...tentatively saying $15) for the second season, and if you want to keep for a third consecutive season, that player basically becomes a restricted free agent, where every member puts in one silent bid for said player, and the original owner then has the option of matching or not -- if they choose not to, they can choose another keeper. I think we've decided that three years is the max you can keep a player...but I guess the idea of a 4th year restricted free agent hasn't been ruled out. One of my main questions/concerns is trades. Do the "contracts" reset once the player is on a new team? Or should the tenure from the first team carry over? I'm just weary of some fishy trades going on if the traded player basically gets a fresh new three years. I'm open to all and every idea in ever facet...I've never really been in one, so I'm unaware of how most successful ones are run. I'd appreciate all input, thanks. btw it's a 12 team league.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
SP. Verlander, Felix, Shields, B. Anderson, Bedard, Danks, Nolasco, Garza
RP. Kimbrel, Bailey, Melancon, Venters
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League

Postby johnchezy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 pm

In my keeper league we have a $140 salary cap which you can spend on any number of players. You can choose to sign zero players and never use your cap money, or you can sign all 25 players (if they are collectively cheap enough to fit inside of $140 cap).

If you choose to not sign players, they will go into the draft pool the following year. If you do sign them, you can sign them for any length of time (2 years-unlimited. Obviously 1 year wouldnt be a contract).
The hitch though is that we have a 3% increase each season on every contract. So if you sign a guy for $10 and another guy for $35 for a total of $45, next year that $10 climbs to $11 (we round up to the nearest dollar) and the $35 climbs to $37 for a total of $48. This provides a slight deterrent and requires teams to manage their caps wisely.

As far as trades with players under contract----all contracts carry over to the new team. The new team picks up the payments.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 am

The contracts can not change when a player is traded. Like you say, there would be fishy deals going on if that were the. I would have more keepers than three. When you get that few, it is almost like not having any and takes the fun away from a Keeper League. You need to have your contracts salary go up. An example would be Albert Pujols, if his salary did not go up, no one would ever put him back in the free agent pool. In my league a player gets his auction salary for the first two years, it increases by $5 the third year and increases by $10 every year after that. This will cause a good player to be thrown back into the spring auction which is what you want.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby mekman20 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I was kind of thinking that a player like Pujols really wouldn't be all that valuable as a keeper, because it's an auction league. So, if he's drafted this year for $60...could you realistically expect him to go for more next season? If not, there's really no sense in keeping him (unless you just like the assurance of having him, without getting into an unnecessary bidding war for him), because you can just daft him again if you want to spend that kind of $. Am I thinking about that incorrectly? That just makes sense to me. About the contracts going up...that's kind of how we have it. Second year stays the same, and third year they go to restricted free agency, where, before the draft, everyone will put in one bid for teams' restricted free agents (third year keepers)...and then each owner will have the opportunity to match or not match the highest bid (if deciding against it, they keep another). I do agree, contracts need to stay in place through trades. Any more input is much obliged...the league is all debating what rules to implement, etc...
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

The example on Pujols -- Normally a player whose salary is above $40 is about the limit. Pujols went for $42 in our league last year. If you bid too high on any one player, you won't have enough money for the rest of team. There is a weekly newspaper that comes out called "Baseball Weekly". It is about $1.50 at anyplace that has magazines. It comes out on Wednesdays. The third Wednesday in March is when their Fantasy Edition comes out. They give the suggested salay of every player. I never miss getting it. I had to drive to more that one place last year, but I found it. It will tell you what stats every player is projected to get and his suggested salary. The salaries are based on a 12 team league with 23 players on a team. Don't miss it. If you have any other questions, I visit here often.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 am

mekman20 wrote:I was kind of thinking that a player like Pujols really wouldn't be all that valuable as a keeper, because it's an auction league. So, if he's drafted this year for $60...could you realistically expect him to go for more next season? If not, there's really no sense in keeping him (unless you just like the assurance of having him, without getting into an unnecessary bidding war for him), because you can just daft him again if you want to spend that kind of $. Am I thinking about that incorrectly? That just makes sense to me. About the contracts going up...that's kind of how we have it. Second year stays the same, and third year they go to restricted free agency, where, before the draft, everyone will put in one bid for teams' restricted free agents (third year keepers)...and then each owner will have the opportunity to match or not match the highest bid (if deciding against it, they keep another). I do agree, contracts need to stay in place through trades. Any more input is much obliged...the league is all debating what rules to implement, etc...

Just my viewpoint. == I think the method you have for the third year seems very complicated. I would suggest something much simplier. Like the player gets the auction salary for the first two years, the third year is an increase of $5 and the fourth and every year after is a $10 increase. Any player can be dropped each year. I have found this to be simple and works well to get good players back in the spring Auction due to their salary being too high to keep. I think you will spend an awful lot of time with your method. Just my opinion. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mekman20 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah I do agree that your method of increasing price would work much easier under normal circumstances. My friends and I do an actual live auction, though. We all meet somewhere and make a big thing out of it. I figure before the draft everyone will just see a list of everyone's third year keepers, we'll get the highest silent bid for each of those, and quickly give the original owner the option to keep or let go. If it were on a computer I agree that would be too much. We'll see how that goes...I suppose we'll always have the option of just adding a specified $ amount, but we feel this will more adequately get players back to market value after two years of good deals.

As for my Pujols $60 amount..that was just an arbitrary number. Basically I'm saying whatever Pujols goes for this year shouldn't be any higher than what he'll go for next year, thus making him an unnecessary keeper.

Any more opinions obliged. We're just having an ongoing discussion on how the league should be run. Your help is appreciated.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:51 pm

I agree with you about the high priced Keepers. I always think long and hard about them. I do prefer to go into the Auction with at least $150 (we keep eleven). Last year there was a guy in out league who had three players totaling about $110 as Keepers. That only left $150 for the other 20 players. That just puts a strain on your team and makes it almost impossible to finish high. == Like your league, we also meet for our Auction. It is really a fun time. This will be the 16th year of the league and most of the guys have been in it at least ten years. It makes it fun when the same guys come back. It sure makes it easier on me as Commish, I don't have to find owners each year to fill spots. I hope your league goes well for you.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner