ESPN league/keeper question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

ESPN league/keeper question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN league/keeper question

Postby dfa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 am

Hello,

I started a league on ESPN last year. The intent of the league then (and now) was to make it a keeper league. The league voted and settled on 5 keepers. We also would like to have a salary cap, with each round having a fixed dollar amount. The hope was that if you picked a "diamond in the rough" you should have more flexibility in subsequent drafts compared to someone who is keeping their first 5 picks.

When I emailed this scenario to the ESPN fantasy baseball team, they instructed that the following option is available:
"If a Fantasy Baseball team owner chooses not to keep the maximum number of players allowed, they will draft a new player from the available pool. The available pool will not include any players designated to be a keeper.

I'm guessing that this will mean that I can't have players pick in certain rounds, which was the intent of having giving some advantage who would keep their 10th round pick, as opposed to another manager keeping their top 5 picks. However, doing it that way would not allow any use of a salary cap. The person at ESPN continued:

If this method is not satisfactory, you can change to an offline draft and manually insert the picks anyway you choose.

So, I was wondering if anyone has ever run any draft offline, or an ESPN offline draft and how easy or hard this is. (I've only been a commissioner for one year, and having an offline draft seems like a no-go because the league members live all over country, and I've heard offline drafts are extremely difficult.) Also, any input to this conundrum would be appreciated...I'm concerned that ESPN won't allow me to design the kind of league I want!

Thanks in advance.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN league/keeper question

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 am

An offline draft could be done thru the message board or an e-mail type of draft; it sounds like you are confusing an in-person draft with offline
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 318)

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:51 am

Doing an offline draft would be very hard as you said. It would be a very slow process. The only practical way to do it is online. == I have a question for you. When you are doing your players in a snake draft, why bother to assign them a salary value. It doesn't really make any sense. If you are going to have salaries, just bid on the players. It is a lot more fun. You can do that online and it is very quick, about two hours. This would also take care of your problem about keeping fewer than the max. It would be not problem when you bid on the players.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby dfa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:10 am

bigmck wrote:Doing an offline draft would be very hard as you said. It would be a very slow process. The only practical way to do it is online. == I have a question for you. When you are doing your players in a snake draft, why bother to assign them a salary value. It doesn't really make any sense. If you are going to have salaries, just bid on the players. It is a lot more fun. You can do that online and it is very quick, about two hours. This would also take care of your problem about keeping fewer than the max. It would be not problem when you bid on the players.

I'm pretty interested in doing an auction rather than a draft, but when I did a year end poll via a google questionnaire, one result that came through was that there is zero interest in an auction draft. I think the fear is that it would take forever to fill twelve 25 man rosters. This is why I wanted to assign values based on each round, so it would take a fair amount of time on the commissioner's end, but not as much from the perspective of each league manager.

How have you swayed people to want to do auction drafts?
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnchezy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:16 am

With zero interest in an auction, you may not be able to.
Some owners just don't like going out of their comfort zone. I find that to be true with my own experience as a commissioner.

Auctions are a ton of fun---though I've only done them in person, never online. 2 hours, as the other poster mentioned, seems quick, especially for 12 teams--25 man rosters, but I wouldn't know.

If time constraints are the primary issue---maybe break the auction into 2 nights? Just a thought.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

dfa wrote:I'm pretty interested in doing an auction rather than a draft, but when I did a year end poll via a google questionnaire, one result that came through was that there is zero interest in an auction draft. I think the fear is that it would take forever to fill twelve 25 man rosters. This is why I wanted to assign values based on each round, so it would take a fair amount of time on the commissioner's end, but not as much from the perspective of each league manager.

Doing the Auction in person is more fun, but it that is not possible online is a good substitute. When a name is thrown out everyone starts bidding by using their keyboard. It is not in order, you just bid. When no one has bid for ten seconds, the bidding is over, the player is awarded and you go to the next player. It is at a fast pace, but it is also fun. If you are going to draft players and assign salaries, it serves no purpose. == Why don't you get your guys together and try a Mock Draft. ESPN has them that you do for fun. By doing this your guys could see how it works and make a good decision about if that is what they want. You can start doing that about mid-Februray.
Last edited by bigmck on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby BoBtheMule » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am

I did an offline minor league draft... 15 rounds last year. I gave everyone 24 hours to pick before the next owner was allowed to pick... with the skipped owner allowed to post their selection at any time (thus resetting the clock).
It wasn't too bad. I had most everyone's facebook and cellphone numbers... I would receive an email notice on a new selection, confirm it and send out an email/txt to the next appropriate owner. I think the average response time was something less than 12 hours.

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BoBtheMule » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 am

Couldn't you just do this:
Don't have any keepers as far as espn is concerned but a list of players kept and which round. Then when that spot hits in the draft, you pause the draft... select the appropriate player and assign him to the correct team... then unpause and continue on?

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dfa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 am

BoBtheMule wrote:Couldn't you just do this:
Don't have any keepers as far as espn is concerned but a list of players kept and which round. Then when that spot hits in the draft, you pause the draft... select the appropriate player and assign him to the correct team... then unpause and continue on?

Bob

Hmmm...maybe I could simply do that. I guess I would wonder how I would prevent those players from being in the available pool. This is a great suggestion, thank you!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dfa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am

bigmck wrote:
dfa wrote:I'm pretty interested in doing an auction rather than a draft, but when I did a year end poll via a google questionnaire, one result that came through was that there is zero interest in an auction draft. I think the fear is that it would take forever to fill twelve 25 man rosters. This is why I wanted to assign values based on each round, so it would take a fair amount of time on the commissioner's end, but not as much from the perspective of each league manager.

Doing the Auction in person is more fun, but it that is not possible online is a good substitute. When a name is thrown out everyone starts bidding by using their keyboard. It is not in order, you just bid. When no one has bid for ten seconds, the bidding is over, the player is awarded and you go to the next player. It is at a fast pace, but it is also fun. If you are going to draft players and assign salaries, it serves no purpose. == Why don't you get your guys together and try a Mock Draft. ESPN has them that you do for fun. By doing this your guys could see how it works and make a good decision about if that is what they want. You can start doing that about mid-Februray.

Yes, I've done a few sample mock auctions. I definitely enjoy it more than the draft, as it makes more fun. Of course, my level of dedication is much higher than everyone elses. Only one of the other 11 members would even consider using the auction, so I'm not sure how I can win that fight.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner