Rep. Giffords - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rep. Giffords

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rep. Giffords

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:Why isn't anyone talking about the shooting? Is that type of topic censored here?

Question answered, n'est–ce pas?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am

i want to get drunk w wrveres and just listen to him tell stories. find a few key words that throw him off and sit back and enjoy. hours of entertainment...and i mean that in a good way. i love listening to passionate people
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:01 pm

StlSluggers wrote:a whacked out kid, probably made paranoid from an undiagnosed mental condition exacerbated by drug use

Even when Loughner tried to do good, it didn't work out.

A year ago, he volunteered walking dogs at the county animal shelter, said Kim Janes, manager of the Pima Animal Care Center. He liked dogs; neighbors remember him as the kid they would see walking his own.

But at the shelter, staff became concerned: He was allowing dogs to play in an area that was being disinfected after one had contracted a potentially deadly disease, the parvovirus.

"He didn't think the disease was that threatening and when we tried to explain how dangerous some of the diseases are, he didn't get it," Janes said.

Loughner wouldn't agree to keep dogs from the restricted area, and was asked to come back when he would. He never returned.

Loughner also jumped from paid job to job because he couldn't get along with co-workers, according to the close high school friend who requested anonymity. Employers included a Quiznos sandwich shop and Banana Republic, the friend said.
Linda McKinley, 62, has lived down the street from the Loughner family for decades and said the parents could not be nicer - but that she had misgivings about Jared as he got older.

"As a parent, my heart aches for them," she said.

She added that when she was outside watering her plants she would see Jared riding down the street on his bike, often talking to himself or yelling out randomly to no one.

McKinley recalled that once he yelled to some children on the street: "I'm coming to get you!"

I'm telling you, this guy was about as apolitical as political assassins come. Just crazy. Pure and simple.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Also...

ZOMG!!! :-b :-b :-b

I hate the media. :-C
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby GoodOl'Days » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I also like how GoodOleDays hasn't replied to my post from nearlier.
after posting what the CBS correspondent wrote, which is an exact representation of how I feel, I have nothing left to say. You'll find everything in there. Most of the rest of what others have written (edit for those with those who aren't proficient in understanding context) is just mindless, divisive banter. I want to talk about baseball and move on with everyone in a more conscious and responsible forum. Not deal with stressful garbage like that of urbanbreeze's earlier post. And I'm on ten days vacation in Hawaii and posting from my 'driod, simply saw something which needed to be discussed and commented on. Though, if you want to start a thread on "goodol'days and his political views" I'd be happy to discuss politics with you until our fingers ache (with your permission WR, of course, here in your 'what WR thinks, and gets jollies off of forum', called "general talk" at this point - don't get me wrong I for the most part enjoy reading you and I'm not taking away from your funny pics stlsluggers, thank you for posting them... sorry if I forgot any others). But I don't want to take away anymore from the core message here. So I hope you all click to page five and read Mr. Schieffer's important words.
Last edited by GoodOl'Days on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:03 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:I also like how GoodOleDays hasn't replied to my post from nearlier.
after posting what the CBS correspondent wrote, which is an exact representation of how I feel, I have nothing left to say. You'll find everything in there. Most of the rest is just mindless, divisive banter. I want to talk about baseball and move on with everyone in a more conscious and responsible forum. Not deal with stressful garbage like that of urbanbreeze's earlier post. And I'm on ten days vacation in Hawaii, simply saw something which needed to be discussed and commented on. Though, if you want to start a thread on 'goodol'days and his political views' I'd be happy to discuss politics with you until our fingers ache. But I don't want to take away anymore from the core message here. So I hope you all click to page five and read Mr. Schieffer's important words.

My face when you post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GoodOl'Days » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 am

urbanbreez wrote:My face when you post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, life is a quest to stroke your ego.

Comment on an such a tragic incident and you give a little smirk. Coincidentally or not it's much like the one Lougher displayed in court and in his mug shot. I find your comments despicable... Didn't really want to comment on something like this but what you're writing here is a shame.

On the other hand I just found likely the best article yet I've read on the issue.

kurt manwaring, I don't know who you are other than a middle aged white-guy from the Salt Lake area who cares enough to write to your paper. Generally I'm not on-board with what people from your area believe, but I'm loving your article. Not so much the Hilary part, that's a little uncomfortable for me, but I understand and pretty much agree with the ethos behind it.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/51037394-82/political-rhetoric-crisis-hateful.html.csp

“Never let a good crisis go to waste.” Those disturbing, yet realistic, words of political strategy are in play only days after the tragic murders and political assassination attempt in Arizona. Blame for the “crisis” has already been attributed to guns, to mental health apathy, to vitriolic rhetoric, and more.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was targeted in a violent assassination attempt on Jan. 8. While she survived, six others lost their lives, including John Roll, chief judge of the U.S. District Court of Arizona, and a 9-year-old girl. In the midst of such a terrible tragedy, we all seek for answers in an attempt to make sense of the inexplicable.

Many politicians have seized the day, blaming the violence on one cause or another. Among those receiving blame for the murders is Sarah Palin. In 2010, her political action committee published a map of congressional districts with a bulls-eye placed over each of the key “battlegrounds.” Giffords was one of those whose district was superimposed by a gun sight.

A symbol of the increasingly powerful tea party movement, Palin is known for speaking her mind and using combative rhetoric to spread the influence of her ideologies. Ironically, she now finds herself beneath a target of her own, put in place both by individuals trying to find meaning in the mayhem and politicians who simply cannot let a crisis go to waste.

Did Palin and her vitriolic rhetoric lead to the murderous spree of Jared Loughner? If her words were not the central catalyst, did they play a part? That question can — and likely will be — debated for a long time to come. But it is a misguided debate. The real question at play is not Palin and her political tactics, but the totality of our political disputes.

America is undergoing a transformation born of caustic rhetoric, oratory which may or may not have contributed to the heartrending massacre of Jan. 8. The real question is not whether in this instance hateful words led to hateful actions, but whether it has the potential to do so. Indeed, if the uncivil dialogue of not many years past becomes the status quo of American deliberations yet to come, it is hard to imagine a future where poisonous words do not lead to vicious undertakings.

There must be a change. Our civil discourse must become more — civil. Of course it is desirable that extreme partisanship give way to cooperative compromise. But if such cannot be the case, our political debates must be significantly toned down.

We love labels in this country. “He’s a liberal,” cries one. “She’s a right-wing extremist,” retorts another. We demonize people because of their political ideologies. But in the end, the hateful words which we spew at one other reveal far more about the dark side of our natures than whether we are for or against health care reform, or gun control, or abortion, or increased regulatory controls. It is not so much the debated issue which applies the true label, but the way in which we debate the issue.

Hillary Clinton was right. We shouldn’t ever let a good crisis go to waste. In fact, we should all seize hold of this awful event and resolve to elevate the civility of our civil dialogue. To let this crisis go to waste is to ensure the advent of similar tragedies born of preventable hostilities.

Kurt Manwaring is pursuing a graduate degree in public administration at the University of Utah. He lives in Taylorsville.

GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:11 am

two things.
okay three.

One) how is this article any different than the 1000 or so penned about this subject yesterday? It was meh. I learned nothing.

Two)
communist scribe wrote:Did Palin and her vitriolic rhetoric lead to the murderous spree of Jared Loughner? If her words were not the central catalyst, did they play a part? That question can — and likely will be — debated for a long time to come

um no. no it won't. its already been settled. And to be honest, the fact that this scribe cant see that is kinda .. well .. sick.

Three) I knew you couldn't stay away. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:12 am

aaaannnnndd......so it ends

Get well soon Congresswoman.
And get well Good Ole Days and wrveres.
We pray for you all.