Rep. Giffords - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rep. Giffords

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rep. Giffords

Postby GoodOl'Days » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Why isn't anyone talking about the shooting? Is that type of topic censored here?
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Rep. Giffords

Postby knapplc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 pm

I'd waited on purpose to see when someone would post it. If it had been a Republican, there'd be a seven-page thread about it already.

O:-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GoodOl'Days » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Well what I wanted to say is the political hate rhetoric that goes on in our news (especially talk radio) and political forums of any type needs to stop. Talk like what I've been hearing since the town hall meetings for health care reform and Sarah Palin tag lines (I'm sure she used to think she was so cute saying "don't retreat, reload" and putting crosshairs on Giffords' district) uncorks and empowers the wackos we all know are out there from all political ideologies. We all need to examine ourselves and our actions, especially the media, bloggers and political figures, because what a lot of us have been doing and saying incites violence and destroys our political system.

sorry for the edits, trying this from my dumbphone.
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 am

I just don't understand how anybody in their right mind can watch or listen to political "news" anymore. But, it goes further than that. The government and the media are both to blame for creating an us vs. them culture. So, I also don't understand how anyone in their right mind can keep voting for the two parties that have divided the country so badly in a way I never thought possible. I thought the Bush era was bad, but that divisiveness was caused by war and there will always be a war to protest. There are so many factors that I can't even list, but this is much, much different. People compared Bush to Hitler and now Obama is getting the Hitler tag as well. Not even close for either, Hitler's the guy you get when you you let a country get to a point that the US is dangerously close to.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:Talk like what I've been hearing since the town hall meetings for health care reform and Sarah Palin tag lines
interesting that this is a Palin thing in your mind.

I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry! .. .. they bring a knife, bring a gun .. .. hit back twice as hard .. .. argue with your neighbors and get in their face .. .. punish your enemies .. .. I talk to these folks, so I know whose ass to kick .. ... republicans are your enemies .. .. a republican victory would mean hand to hand combat .. .. Obama

and that's just scratching the surface of the mans divisive rhetoric
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 am

I don't see what the big deal is. Adversarial political discourse is nothing new in this country or anywhere in the world. It is not any more or less than marginally better or worse than any other period. Every so often someone gets the Travis Bickle bug, people die, and the world goes on to live another day no different than before. People will search for meaning or causes and invariably succumb to recency bias and other cognitive biases like we've already seen in this thread. Crazy people do crazy things for crazy reasons. That doesn't mean that we can't learn something in a procedural or criminal sense, but I don't see a reason to change any laws, behaviors, or security practices b/c of this event.

I don't mean to minimize or be dismissive of the horrible tragedy that this is, I'm just saying that it doesn't warrant any more discussion than any of the other similar horrible tragedies that don't get discussed on these boards b/c they lack a certain public or political component that give the illusion of increased tangibility.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 am

Meeeechelle, my belle .. These are words that go together well, my Michelle.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:07 am

wrveres wrote:Meeeechelle, my belle .. These are words that go together well, my Michelle.

What the....?

That's the worst trolling ever. I hope that nobody takes the bait.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
wrveres wrote:Meeeechelle, my belle .. These are words that go together well, my Michelle.

What the....?

That's the worst trolling ever. I hope that nobody takes the bait.

that ain't bait. thats 10 years of hate.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 am

how bout a sampler platter ...

from getty images .. you could buy this poster
is that her daughter?

Montel Williams to GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann: WILLIAMS (1:30:32): Michele, slit your wrist.

Go ahead… or, do us all a better thing [sic]. Move that knife up about two feet. Start right at the collarbone.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk