Premium Services - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Premium Services

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Premium Services

Postby pjtroy34 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Are there any premium services worth subscribing to? I've done Baseball Prospectus, Rotoworld, and Bloomberg in the past, but haven't been that satisfied. BP was ok, Rotoworld was useless after the start of the season, and Bloomberg was a flat out waste of money...absolute garbage in my opinion.

I'm mainly looking for a site that posts interesting articles, insight, and players to put on your radar, both offseason and in-season...examples from last year: Colby Lewis discovering how to pitch in Japan, Jaime Garcia coming back, etc.
I don't really care about projections as I have a number of sources I like for those.

I have thought about Sporting News, but I don't know anybody that has used it...or are there some better options for free?
I do look at bleacherreports and other free sites too.

Thanks.
pjtroy34
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Premium Services

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Mastersball.com is good. It's not a huge company like ESPN or anything, but it's a group experts that compete in the top fantasy leagues (ie: Tout, etc) out there that give good advice, insight, and strategy. A few of them on on the forums on a regular basis to answer all questions. And they do custom rankings/dollar values tailored to your league. It's the only pay service I've ever subscribed to, but I like it. It's used to be $50 for everything they offer, and $10 if you just want projections and dollar values. This year it seems that it's $35 for everything, with no $10 option. Projections are updated regularly throughout the year.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:00 pm

pjtroy34 wrote:I'm mainly looking for a site that posts interesting articles, insight, and players to put on your radar, both offseason and in-season...

FanGraphs, Rotographs, and Razzball, all provide that type of stuff for free. Plus many many others.

Ive never done a pay thing, but if i did i would look at either BP or the hardball times.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby LMack » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Mastersball.com is good. It's not a huge company like ESPN or anything, but it's a group experts that compete in the top fantasy leagues (ie: Tout, etc) out there that give good advice, insight, and strategy. A few of them on on the forums on a regular basis to answer all questions. And they do custom rankings/dollar values tailored to your league. It's the only pay service I've ever subscribed to, but I like it. It's used to be $50 for everything they offer, and $10 if you just want projections and dollar values. This year it seems that it's $35 for everything, with no $10 option. Projections are updated regularly throughout the year.

Was very confused when I went to masterball.com (not masterSball.com) and found a racquetball site :-B

So Baseball Prospectus is good? The fantasy season subscription (Up until November 1st) seems like something I could get and its reasonably priced. Anyone else buy any online/magazine projections, draft guides, subscriptions etc?
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby West » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:25 am

LMack wrote:Was very confused when I went to masterball.com (not masterSball.com) and found a racquetball site :-B

You think that's bad... Let me just tell you, the homepage for Dick's Sporting Goods is not "dicks.com". Trust me.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm

pjtroy34 wrote:Are there any premium services worth subscribing to? I've done Baseball Prospectus, Rotoworld, and Bloomberg in the past, but haven't been that satisfied. BP was ok, Rotoworld was useless after the start of the season, and Bloomberg was a flat out waste of money...absolute garbage in my opinion.

I'm mainly looking for a site that posts interesting articles, insight, and players to put on your radar, both offseason and in-season...examples from last year: Colby Lewis discovering how to pitch in Japan, Jaime Garcia coming back, etc.
I don't really care about projections as I have a number of sources I like for those.

I have thought about Sporting News, but I don't know anybody that has used it...or are there some better options for free?
I do look at bleacherreports and other free sites too.

Thanks.

I use Fantistics, mostly for their daily news feeds. Their projections and draft software is okay, but it's nothing to bank on. Better to consider it in the greater scope as another set of opinions to mesh up with your own. But the daily news feed, which can be filtered down to players you're interested in, is very nice from a time-saving perspective.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

As far as assembling a set of projections, I usually use a combination of sources. I find reliable sources for playing time projections, and separate sources for rate stats (converting all stats to rates). I've found that certain sites specialize in different areas. There are tons of good resources out there and a combo of their strong suits makes the most sense. You have to be careful to avoid simply averaging out a bunch of projection sets because that just neutralizes the benefit that each set brings.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Return to Baseball Leftovers