2011 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 am

With the way teams are stockpiling late-inning relievers, it will be interesting to see if anyone has success using multiple guys to close out games.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
LMack wrote:If Feliz starts, who closes? Alexi Ogando? :-S

Yes or with some possibility given to Lowe though if Feliz moves to the rotation I gotta think Scheppers could be considered.

Yeah I think you could look at Scheppers, Ogando, Rhodes in that order if Feliz moved to the rotation, but the quote from Daniels was that he would have to represent "a significant upgrade" to the rotation to be moved. Probably better for the Rangers in the long-haul if Feliz were a dominant starter than a dominant closer, but they have been clear they would rather have a dominant closer than a good starter. Personally I think chances are low for him to move.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 am

Chris Ray is an option to close out games while RP David Aardsma (hip) works his way back from hip surgery, according to AOL FanHouse's John Hickey. RP Brandon League will get the first crack at saving ball games with Aardsma sidelined.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
ILoveBush wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Image KANSAS CITY ROYALS – J. Soria RHP ;-D, J. Jeffress RHP, R. Tejada RHP, C. Rosa RHP B-)

Royals should be tweaked. Carlos Rosa is no longer in organization. I'd list next in line as Tejeda and maybe Blake Wood. You could list either Jeffress, Tim Collins, or Aaron Crow as closer of future.

I agree. It needed some teaking. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeffress is the #2 mid-season this year, he's that talented. Also, I put Coleman as the COTF due to Jeffress likely to have a high work load at the beginning of the season. I personally think prospect Mike Montgomery could be forced to relief if he continues to have elbow problems.

Also, it's Tejeda.

Just pointing it out for search indexing purposes. :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby GoodOl'Days » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

gnarboots11 wrote:I see no reason why Jordan Walden doesn't take over the closer role for the Angels quickly. Fernando Rodney is terrible as a closer and probably terrible as a pitcher in general. Basically he sucks, and the Angels have nothing else after him, Scott Downs is a possibility I suppose but he is a lefty and lefty closers are never a good idea. Walden is the one to watch this season, he throws 100mph and he's super cute.

Control and durability issues derived from mechanics. Career K-rate not matching with alleged quality of stuff and heat on his fastball. Probably just needs more time as a reliever. I don't know why thejusman1 gave you that weird response, maybe because you said 'quickly'. I'll have him on my watch list. Hopefully, for me and my holds leagues, he gets Scot Shields like numbers early on.
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 am

GoodOl'Days wrote: I don't know why thejusman1 gave you that weird response, maybe because you said 'quickly'.

...but more likely because he called Walden 'super cute.'
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 am

GoodOl'Days wrote:Control and durability issues derived from mechanics.

Partly.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 am

David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution suspects that Craig Kimbrel will open the 2011 season as the Braves' closer.
Kimbrel, 22, will battle fellow youngster Jonny Venters for the role this spring. "I’m ready to get things rolling," Kimbrel said Tuesday, during Braves pitching camp at Turner Field. "It’s going to be a fun year." The right-hander struck out 40 batters in just 20 2/3 innings last season while posting an ERA of 0.44 and a 1.21 WHIP. Venters, a lefty, also posted tremendous numbers. The Braves are likely to choose between the two by mid-March.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 pm

I guess this could be characterized as more of a gut feeling than anything else, but Jon Rauch really fits the mold of a dominant closer and has more of a 9th inning pedigree compared to the Jays other options. I'd have to think that if they had any designs on using Frasor in the role, they wouldn't have acquired so many new options in the pen. I think I like Rauch to lead that bullpen in saves at season's end, even if he doesn't have the job straight out of spring training.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:56 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:I guess this could be characterized as more of a gut feeling than anything else, but Jon Rauch really fits the mold of a dominant closer and has more of a 9th inning pedigree compared to the Jays other options. I'd have to think that if they had any designs on using Frasor in the role, they wouldn't have acquired so many new options in the pen. I think I like Rauch to lead that bullpen in saves at season's end, even if he doesn't have the job straight out of spring training.

You also have Frank Francisco in the mix
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers