2011 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 am

bayside wrote:best guess on who gets the most save opps for the Cards rest of season?
Motte?
Salas?

I have them both in just to be safe, and I'd do the same if you can. If that's not an option though, I'd go with Motte.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bayside » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Salas just came into the game in the 7th with the Cards up 3 - 0, so i assume its safe to say hes out as the closer.
fwiw only faced 3 batters and got a fly out, single, fielders choice out, before being lifted.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KobraCola » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:53 pm

bayside wrote:Salas just came into the game in the 7th with the Cards up 3 - 0, so i assume its safe to say hes out as the closer.
fwiw only faced 3 batters and got a fly out, single, fielders choice out, before being lifted.

Unfortunately, with La Russa, you can never assume anything.
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 am

bayside wrote:Salas just came into the game in the 7th with the Cards up 3 - 0, so i assume its safe to say hes out as the closer.

roflmao

You've been LaRussa'd.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby AHF » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am

Any word on whether Romo is closing now in San Francisco until Wilson comes back?
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Whalewang » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:34 pm

AHF wrote:Any word on whether Romo is closing now in San Francisco until Wilson comes back?

Romo is supposed to be the closer while Wilson is out but there have been practically no opportunities for him.
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KobraCola » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Whalewang wrote:
AHF wrote:Any word on whether Romo is closing now in San Francisco until Wilson comes back?

Romo is supposed to be the closer while Wilson is out but there have been practically no opportunities for him.

Well, it actually looks like Romo isn't being used as a closer, but, instead, still as a set-up man. The 2nd-most recent save chance went to Casilla and he handled it easily on August 26th against the Astros. Romo wasn't even back from the DL then though. Much more recently, as in last night, Sept. 6th, Lopez was brought in at the beginning of the 9th inning, most likely just to face Orlando Hudson who is a switch-hitter but is more comfortable batting left-handed, but then was immediately taken out after walking Hudson. Then Casilla was brought in, just like on Aug. 26th, presumably to close out the game, but he did pretty badly, getting 2 outs (1 K) followed by 1 hit and then 2 HBP's, so Ramirez then filled in for Casilla to finish out the 9th. So, basically, it seems Casilla is the temp. closer, but who knows if either Bochy or fantasy players can trust him after last night.
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby juliown1028 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 am

With the Giants playoff chances dwindling I doubt we see Wilson back. If he does come back, I doubt it'd be in the closer role, they'd just want to put him in against MLB batters and see how he does to estimate where he'll be for them next year considering this is his first major stint on the DL. Right now Bochy seems to be just auditioning backup closers, and I figure he's just going to do it on matchups. For the most part it has been Casilla but the Giants aren't getting save opps anyways and Ramon Ramirez got the save the other day because Casilla was struggling. Once Romo gets up to speed, and after he gets some warmup innings since coming of the DL, I'm sure he'll be in the mix as well.

Unfortunately, as a Giants fan, the Giants are a mess right now.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KobraCola » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Just a general FYI, I have Parnell on my team and noticed he was being used in the 8th inning tonight, and it does look like the Mets are being jerks about naming a closer again and going with a committee of sorts. Acosta got the closer role tonight in a save situation and blew it, but then got lucky when the Mets gave him a win. Acosta, it seems, has been the best Mets reliever lately, so he might continue to be the "head" of the committee, but who knows what the Mets want to do. They may want to continue to try and test out other relievers because their season is obviously over and they want to find a possible closer for next season, which would leave a headache for fantasy owners who need closers for the playoffs. I somehow completely missed this, but it looks like Acosta got an easy save with 2 K's back on Sept. 7th. So I guess, as a Parnell owner, I'm gonna keep holding onto him for now and pick up Acosta if I have a chance and if I have the roster room. FWIW, Izzy also appears to be in the committee, though I'd have to assume he's the 3rd option since he's old, already got his 300th save, and old. And he sucks. And if I were he Mets, I'd definitely get rid of him by next season, but who knows what the Mets are thinking. Even Beato might be considered for the closing job.
Sources/More Info:
http://twitter.com/#!/AdamRubinESPN/sta ... 5106843648
http://twitter.com/#!/AnthonyDiComo/sta ... 0059792384
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... ets-closer
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/p ... ting-knack
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/articl ... m&c_id=nym
http://www.closernews.com/2011/09/parne ... loser.html
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bayside » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:12 am

any word on whether Street closes at all the remainder of the year?
or is Betancourt keeping the job?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers