2011 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 3/25/11 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 3/25/11

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 1/19/11

Postby Ray Zorback » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 am

Scott Baker at #112 ?

I don't see it, what am I missing?
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 237)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jwilly777 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:31 pm

I have a general question for someone to take a stab at. How much adjusting should I do for a player like Rajai Davis in a Roto league since these MDP rankling include head to head leagues?
jwilly777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby atizzy10 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I look forward to this spreadsheet every winter.

thank you.
atizzy10
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:02 pm

jwilly777 wrote:I have a general question for someone to take a stab at. How much adjusting should I do for a player like Rajai Davis in a Roto league since these MDP rankling include head to head leagues?

Thus far MDP only takes into account mock drafts since sites haven't yet released their 2011 product and allowed drafting. As such, the list doesn't really include Roto or H2H leagues. I would say that you should adjust these rankings in the same manner that you would adjust any ranking system when going from Roto to H2H. Personally, I don't draft too differently between the two, but I guess there's something to be said in devaluing players that have significant 1st/2nd half splits in H2H formats. Are you referring to a H2H point league, or H2H 5x5 (or some variant) league? If the former, you would then have to make adjustments depending on the point system of your league.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Personally, I don't draft too differently between the two, but I guess there's something to be said in devaluing players that have significant 1st/2nd half splits in H2H formats.
speed should be devalued in a weekly H2H league. Its right up there with wins, as one of the most fluky categories for H2H play. imo.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Pochucker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 am

Pitchers seem to be going even higher than normal --18 starters in first six rds. I wont take starter till 7th rd so looks like my first starter will come from Liriano/Latos/Hanson group. On the other hand my league is experienced so pitchers will probably go two /three rds later than this.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Pochucker wrote:Pitchers seem to be going even higher than normal --18 starters in first six rds. I wont take starter till 7th rd so looks like my first starter will come from Liriano/Latos/Hanson group. On the other hand my league is experienced so pitchers will probably go two /three rds later than this.

It's bound to happen with all the talk of the "year of the pitcher", etc. Also, there is definately nothing wrong with having to choose from that group above...very good potential and value there! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby shuggoth » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:22 pm

wrveres wrote:speed should be devalued in a weekly H2H league. Its right up there with wins, as one of the most fluky categories for H2H play. imo.

Mebbe it's because the leagues I play in always have 2 or 3 teams that punt steals, but I've found that steal totals correlate really well with H2H Steal win %. About the only stat that is more reliable is strike outs. Course I've only got the numbers for 5 leagues I've been in, so small sample size caveats apply here. Runs and RBIs have been the least reliable, and Average has been the least damaging stat to punt (The worst teams still win almost 40% of the time).
shuggoth Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JMB05 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 am

shuggoth wrote:
wrveres wrote:speed should be devalued in a weekly H2H league. Its right up there with wins, as one of the most fluky categories for H2H play. imo.

Mebbe it's because the leagues I play in always have 2 or 3 teams that punt steals, but I've found that steal totals correlate really well with H2H Steal win %. About the only stat that is more reliable is strike outs. Course I've only got the numbers for 5 leagues I've been in, so small sample size caveats apply here. Runs and RBIs have been the least reliable, and Average has been the least damaging stat to punt (The worst teams still win almost 40% of the time).

I think the theory of not taking pitchers early is an attempt to "seize the moment" if you will, by taking advantage of bats when the majority goes for arms. I hope I don't sound out of line when I say that "being in an experienced league" doesn't make taking pitchers early is a mistake.

I find zigging when everyone else is zagging to be the best approach. My "experienced league" (25+ years old, I am the new guy at 7 years) is, and always will be pitching happy in early rounds, but I still don't go in with any sort of game plan except to grab values starting in the second round.

Just my opinion of course.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 am

Ray Zorback wrote:Scott Baker at #112 ?

I don't see it, what am I missing?

Not missing anything.....either one site is heavily overrating him or that's a typo.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers