How flexible are Yahoo scoring categories? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How flexible are Yahoo scoring categories?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How flexible are Yahoo scoring categories?

Postby ramble2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 am

As much as I like Yahoo, they don't stay open for fantasy baseball all year long. I've proposed some changes to my league format, but am not sure Yahoo will support them.

In particular, I'd like to replace the 'Saves' category with 'Saves + Holds'.* Anyone know whether Yahoo allows that as a category in roto? How flexible is Yahoo with creating categories? Are you locked in to their options, or can you create your own metrics? For example, if I wanted to create a category that ranked teams based on '2*Saves + Holds' could I do that?

*I want to ditch 'Saves' as a stand-alone category because I'm sick of how it distorts the value of pitchers. Half the fights in my league concern whether or not some crappy closer is being over-valued in a trade (answer: typically no, because it's an easy way to gain points, even if the pitcher is horrendous). Combining saves and holds in a single category dilutes the value of the save and increases the value of good MRs, helping resolve some of the artificial scarcity that inflates the value of crappy closers. If you want to discuss the value of 'Saves' as a category great, but please do it in another thread.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How flexible are Yahoo scoring categories?

Postby boredguy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 am

You can't create your own categories, you have to use what Yahoo has available. Here's the options for last season: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports ... EP6ZLj03hG
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 am

boredguy wrote:You can't create your own categories, you have to use what Yahoo has available. Here's the options for last season: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports ... EP6ZLj03hG

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, 'Saves + Holds' isn't a category, giving ammunition to the manager who wants to switch to CBSportsline. I'd much prefer to stay with Yahoo.

Genie, are you out there? O:-)
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm here, and I hear the interest in this particular category and more generally the ability to create categories. But regrettably I can assure you that won't happen this season.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby oscarsf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

We use Holds and Saves in a 6x6 H2H 16-team Yahoo league and everyone likes using both categories. We like having both categories because it measures your set-up men and your relievers. It works well for us.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Why do you feel the need to use either saves or holds since you don't seem to like the idea behind them? I guess if the league s bent on keeping saves then you don't have much of a choice.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby ramble2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Why do you feel the need to use either saves or holds since you don't seem to like the idea behind them? I guess if the league s bent on keeping saves then you don't have much of a choice.

I actually like the idea of a single category combining the two. I think that represents reliever value, at least to some interesting extent. Having a single save category I'm less happy with. I think it artificially creates too much of a scarce commodity which increases the value of some relief pitchers while decreasing the value of others. Combining the categories makes some of the middle relievers that get holds worth more than crappy relievers--and I think that better reflects the real value of these guys.

At least in a 5x5 league. I'm sure there are lots of systems that can be used that result in different ways of valuing players.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LMack » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Is CBS Sportsline the only site with Saves+Holds? Who else has it?
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:42 pm

at first, i didn't like how saves+hold sounded but i actually think it's a good idea now.
i would be open to using that category over the traditional saves.
it takes some chaos out of trying to run after every possible reliever chasing saves.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers