Advantages to H2H? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advantages to H2H?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advantages to H2H?

Postby princethomas » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:49 am

Have been doing a ROTO keeper league for 3 years now. One problem is we really start to have a lot of people losing interest down the stretch, with only maybe the top 3 or 4 (out of 10) really playing.

Wondering if H2H would help with that. Truth told, I think the other 5 or so are only kind of casual anyway. Looking for something to spice things up a little.

Think this will help?

-Tom
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advantages to H2H?

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 am

I have played Fantasy Baseball for 20 years. I was always been in Roto Leagues. Last year I started a H2H catagory league. It was just great fun. It was a ten team league with two divisions. Six teams made the playoffs so it kept most owners in the running until late in the year. I found it to be more fun than Roto because each week there was a winner and loser unlike Roto where it is just one long season and a winner and loser at the end. I want to point out that it was H2H Catagory not these goofy point leagues. You are still drafting your team the same as Roto, but you just play it different during the year. I highly recommend it.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 am

H2H would have mroe teams playign for the title truly with playoff teams etc but still will have a chunk of teams out of it. Could always play H2H and have like a consolation playoff bracket for some small prize to try and maintain interest.

I always prefer roto myself, I think H2H is great if you have more casual players..nothing wrong with anyone if they prefer it though. You said you have a few casual owners so sounds like it would be good for you to go to it.

Some alternatives though to possibly keep people interested in roto all year:

sidepools for category winners
deincentive penalty payments for bottom couple of teams
1st half prizes
most improved from ASB on prize
sidepool for everyone who is either not in dead last OR dead last in a category (helps avoid punting a category)
moving to keeper (teams out of it can still make moves for keeper help)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:54 am

you should be able to find liek 18 threads about this already in leftovers. there seems to be 3 new ones pop up each year over there

if you switch to H2H be prepared for teh 6 seed to win it all...bc it will happen....and the guy who kicked arse all year and got the 1 seed will be upset when he gets bounced the first round bc his 2 aces took the game off that week

common way to put it is roto is for teh hardcore true players...h2h is for the football come overs and more casual players
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dfa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:37 am

I have my h2h league split into 3 divisions of 4 teams, with one wild card. It helps that there is some personal relationship between all of the managers in each division. League participation could be better, but hopefully that can be improved as the league grows.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:17 am

my first thought here was everyone that had played roto 3 years agreed to switch? Some guys can be totally sold on 1 format & against the other. It is difficult to keep bottom teams interested late no matter what format you use.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:28 pm

One other possibility I wanted to throw out is three season roto (or split season truly)

3 seasons of 50-50-50 each with breaks in between, all seperate prizes (maybe one prize for best cumulative standings)

I think most hosting sites would let you wipe out stats for the period before. Usually people who do these re-draft but could keep same players or throw back x players from each team for the new 50. Its broken down really well in the Baseball Forecaster book.

Some of the logistics might be a pain but guy who sucks 1st session might be able to win session 2
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby johnchezy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 am

common way to put it is roto is for teh hardcore true players...h2h is for the football come overs and more casual players

I have to disagree with that.
It's simply a different style.
I did roto one year and hated it.
I like the competition of head to head match ups.
Roto was far too dry for my taste. Like nothing happens.
To me, the H-2-H is like a real league with games, standings, etc.
But to say it's not hardcore is not true. Our league has some pretty hardcore owners that are baseball lovers.
johnchezy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby oscarsf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm involved in a Yahoo 16-team H2H keeper league with eight teams qualifying for the playoffs (four in the championship bracket, four in the consolation bracket). The fourth-seeded team in our league won it all last year but so did the Giants ;-D We keep the same four-team division format from year-to-year to enhance rivalries. It makes it much more interesting.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Kodiak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 am

This will the ninth year of our Yahoo league. The first year was roto, but it was strange because we had 11 teams (a 12th dropped out at the last minute). But I have to agree with everyone that H2H is more fun, with a winner and loser every week. Make sure the schedule provides that everyone plays each other at least twice for sweet revenge matchups. Last year our league had two divisions, the two division winners make the playoffs (but not necessarily a first-round bye; overall seeding determines that - top two seeds get a bye), and the next four teams. Team #6 made the playoffs last year on a record tiebreaker (at my expense, lol), and won the whole thing.

Kodiak :-D
Kodiak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner