Beltre to Rangers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltre to Rangers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beltre to Rangers

Postby MTUCache » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Kim Bhasin wrote:You got your contract Adrian! Time to recede back into mediocrity again.
Skin Blues wrote:If somebody gives him $16M per season on a long-term deal they deserve what they get from him.
BitterDodgerFan wrote:too bad beltre won't start performing until the final season of his contract

Now, I realize that for the most part a lot of these types of comments are going to be said half-jokingly or sarcastically, but seriously.... how much are these types of comments going to impact his ADP this season.

Will he be over-valued by an ignorant public who look at only last year?
Will he be under-valued because those who make the rankings are aware of what happened after his last post-contract year?
Will those two factors kind of even out?

After Longo/Wright/ARod going in the first round, how long are people going to wait on this guy?
To be honest, no matter how skeptical I am about his consistency (and completely admitting that his downside is an abysmal .265/15/80/70), the upside of a guy batting clean-up in that Texas lineup is much more attractive than the *yawn* .290/25/90/90 season that Zimmerman is going to put up (again). Yes, I realize how ridiculous it is to expect a .310/30/110/110, but all of those numbers are easily within reach when you're hitting between Hamilton and Cruz.

As of right now, knowing my own drafting patterns, I've got a feeling this guy is going to end up on a bunch of my teams next year coming out of the late (or possibly) early third round. Once somebody else takes Zimmerman, I don't see myself taking another shot on a McGehee/Stewart-type this year. I just can't figure out yet how much I'll be hating myself for that come the ASB.

Somehow this feels like the biggest (and most important) gamble I'll likely be taking during next season's drafts/auctions.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

I'll take Longoria, A-Rod, Wright, Youk and Zimmerman before him without thinking twice. After that I would think Bautista or Beltre goes next.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 pm

I think he'll be pretty good, but he's no spring chicken and has a history of just disappearing. To commit for that log and remove any financial incentive for him to perform... I don't know, I just see him taking a mental holiday for the rest of his career. I remember way back when, when Erboes talked him up after his magical season in LA, he was touted as a can't-miss. To be fair, Mr. Boesinger was right about a lot of things, but he was way off on Beltre.

The money is about right, but 6 years is way too long.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:11 am

Aramis Ramirez cooked?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Aramis Ramirez cooked?

I don't think so but the injuries will tell the story. I'd gamble on Beltre before ARam
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:Aramis Ramirez cooked?

I don't think so but the injuries will tell the story. I'd gamble on Beltre before ARam

Beltre is going to be going in drafts a helluva lot higher than Aram. I think ARam is a very solid value next year. I had definite concerns about him because of his injuries in spring training last year, and sure enough he was injured for most of the first half. But he provided solid stats in the second half, and I think he's a great bounce-back candidate for 2011. I doubt he will return to his elite status of earlier days, but a .280 average and 25+ homers is well within reach.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Verminator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:too bad beltre won't start performing until the final season of his contract

2009 was a contract year for Beltre... how did that work out?

Also, he had OK years in Seattle despite hitting in an extreme pitchers' park and having nobody protecting him in the line-up.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Verminator wrote:

Also, he had OK years in Seattle despite hitting in an extreme pitchers' park and having nobody protecting him in the line-up.

i believe he had a serious testicle injury that year. i'll give him a pass for a sub par season for that.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thedude » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:43 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Verminator wrote:

i believe he had a serious testicle injury that year. i'll give him a pass for a sub par season for that.

He had serious tax problems, but, NASA tells me those are in the past.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby kins80 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'll take Longoria, A-Rod, Wright, Youk and Zimmerman before him without thinking twice. After that I would think Bautista or Beltre goes next.

Bautista way before beltre...that's not even close
10 team H2H Keeper, 13 keeps, 25 rostered
R, SB, HR, RBI, SLG, OBP, K
ERA, WHIP, K/9, K:BB, TBA, S, QS

H: Posey, Texiera, Aaron Hill, A. Ramirez, Arod, V. Wells, Stubbs, Konerko, B Harper
P: Carpenter, Chapman, B Wilson, C. Perez
kins80
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers