Im trading in my Redraft for and Auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Im trading in my Redraft for and Auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Im trading in my Redraft for and Auction league

Postby wolfeman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 pm

For the past 7 tears or so we have been a 10 team redraft. I recently changed my football league to an auction and everyone loved it,so I thought I would do the same for baseball. Do people enjoy auction baseball leagues as football auction leagues? I have several questions:

what is the general salary cap? In my football it is 300. Is that cap too high or low for players?
We draft 24 players,
9 positional starters 5 bench
7 pitchers 3 bench

Should I cut the roster size?
I wanted it to be a keeper league. How many keepers do you allow? In football we keep 2 and add $10 to the price they paid from the pevious year.

How do you transactions with an auction? Blind bidding? Do you limit amount of moves an owner can make during a week?

please help me out...thanks
wolfeman
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Im trading in my Redraft for and Auction league

Postby pjalst » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Salary caps in baseball leagues are usualy $260 or $300. it really doesn't matter, your league will set it's own value of what players are worth according to the cap. For example: Pujols might be worth $42 in a $260 league and $55 in a $300 league.

Each league is diferent. I think the best thing for you to do is include your league members in the desision process. Take 3-4 of your most active members and brainstorm about what you want in your league as far as # of keepers, salary cap and other settings. Write a league constitution.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 pm

If you keep close to the standard, it will benefit you. The standard league is 23 players, 2 C, 1 1b, 1 2b, 1 3b, 1 ss, 1 cm (1b or 3b), 1 mf (2b or ss) 1 U (any hitter) 5 OF and 9 pitchers and a $260 salary cap. Normally all players get stats everyday. You could have a couple bench players, but you don't want too many. You want the players to play, not be on the bench. If you use the 23 players and $260 it is what the magazines use and you can do better research and compare players better. Don't compare this to football as it is completely different. == In my league we keep up to 11 each year, you can keep less if you want. Some leagues have the number smaller, but if you keep less than five, it defeats the purpose of it being a Keeper League. == On Auction Day, we meet in a room and sit in a circle. The first guy throws out a players name and we just yell out bids until the bids stop. Then the next guy throws out a player and we bid on him. We keep doing this until everyone has all 23 players. The first time will take you longer because you will be getting all 23 players. Next year you will be keeping some so the Auction will be shorter. We keep 11 and getting the other 12 normally takes about 4 hours. In our league the player gets his auction salary for year one and two. In year three it raises five dollars and in year four and all years after it raises ten dollars. If you trade a player his salary and years stay the same. With the salary increasing, it makes a player too expensive to be kept for more than three or four years which is the way you want it. == As far as picking up players during the season, you will be using the FAAB. This is an automatic bidding device that all of the stat services have. If you see a player you put a secret bid in and the FAAB gives the player to the highers bider. There normally isn't a number for moves per week. Instead everyone is given an amount to start the year to bid with. When that is gone, you cant' bid any more. I suggest $300. let me know if you have questions.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:08 pm

I think you want more than 16 starting positions you've been using in the past; bigmck has the settings & positions right. You can use less but the more starting positions you use the less start studded the lineups end up being; of course the more spots you have the longer the auction. I'd suggest using fewer keepers at first and maybe add more in as you go, as a commish you don't want a couple teams dominating with killer squads right away.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 am

thread hijack....is the standard 2 C and CI, MI? ive played in tons of leagues and have never played w 2 C or the CI, MI

am i just sheltered?

yes auction is awesome for baseball. but be warned..it takes a lot longer than football or a snake draft. ours usually lasts like 4-5 hours. which is kind of good if you are willing to wait it out...as you can get steals late as people get bored and leave
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:56 pm

shawngee03 wrote:thread hijack....is the standard 2 C and CI, MI? ive played in tons of leagues and have never played w 2 C or the CI, MI

am i just sheltered?

You definately have not ever played by the Official Rules. Read this link. In the third paragraph it discusses the positions. http://www.statomagic.com/rotibase.html
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby BoBtheMule » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 pm

My advice... don't mess with your roster setup. No matter what anyone else says it doesn't really matter.

If your league is different it just makes your owners think beyond the fantasy mags... there's nothing wrong with that. Find a consensus amongst your owners and stick with it.

I run both types of leagues... the draft league started first and some of the same owners joined the auction league I started last year. The fun and challenge of an auction really hyped up guys and kept them interested.

My keepers cost their auction price + 4 (x years kept)... so if Felix went for $42 last year... he'll cost $46 for 2011, $50 for 2012 ect... I set a maximum of $180 worth of players to be kept. It made for an interesting trade deadline as non-contending teams dealt off their studs for better value keepers/propsects

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkultra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm interested in hearing about how other people deal with salary inflation in keeper leagues. What's the sweet spot for a 15-team league?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby wolfeman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:06 pm

great ideas and suggestions....

I think I would like to keep the lineup c,1st,2nd,3rd,ss,of,of,of,dh and 7 pitchers(5sp and 2 rp or 4sp and 3rp)

280 salary cap
21 for roster

keep up to 4 players add $5 to keep per year

not sure of transactions....
wolfeman
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby fast dogs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 pm

use whatever cap # you want $260,280 300, that'll work itself out. The bad thing about having so few of starters in an auction is you can fill your team with stars with all your auction $, then fill in the remaining players with $1 bids because they will be decent performers too. Some of those $1 players will be great keepers @$5 or $6 whatever you use; and in auctions it doesn't take long for some teams to be filled with cheap stars and some rosters to be facing long odds. You just want to look ahead for possible pitfalls in years 2 and beyond. In most of the auctions I've played in, it doesn't take more than 2 years for the best managers to seperate themselves from the pack & have top squads for years & years. I just think with larger rosters it becomes a little harder to do
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner