Need an idea for callups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need an idea for callups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need an idea for callups

Postby Walden warriors » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Our league has a unique rule where we draw 5 random MLB teams before the season begins, and then at the end of the season anyone on those five teams has to be cut. We call it the mandatory release system, and it ensures that the draft is interesting and there are always some players 'on the block.'

The problem, of course, is that if you have a minor league player on one of the five teams, you're not going to call him up (our league doesn't do options or demotions; once they're up, they're up). So, as long as your guy maintains our league's standard for minor league eligibility, you can

I'm fine with permitting owners that liberty, but this last year Colby Rasmus, Buster Posey, Madison Bumgarner, Jaime Garcia, Carlos Santana, and Andrew McCutcheon were not in our fantasy league, because they were on a minor league roster and their MLB team was mandatory release. That's almost 3% of the total league roster.

Might someone be willing to suggest an option to limit this issue? We can permit demotions, permit a mandatory release waiver, do a rule 5 draft...any others?

Thanks!
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need an idea for callups

Postby bigmck » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 pm

My only suggestion is to do away with that whole concept. It creates too many problems.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Re: Need an idea for callups

Postby BoBtheMule » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 am

why not just mandatory release minor leaguers if they belong on a MLB team that's randomly drawn?
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner