computer question? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

computer question?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: computer question?

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:57 pm

I don't know about the other 3 but I know I will never own a Dell again simply for their customer service, or lack thereof. I don't know how many times I sat on the phone with some teenager in India that I could barely understand to resolve a problem. Again, maybe I was just "unlucky" but I don't think I wanna risk going down that road again.

Sadly, it's likely that you'll find the same situation with the other 3. Hopefully, with the system you get, you wont have to worry about making any service calls.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:41 pm

The difference between the two Asus comps is that the more expensive one has a better graphics card for gaming. Don't buy an HP or a Dell. They don't stand behind their product, hide extended warranties when there are known defects and like Metroid said their customer service is awful. I've heard Asus isn't the best for customer service either, but they do stand behind their product plus they use high quality parts so you probably won't be calling them anyway. There isn't a computer manufacturer out there that has good customer service anymore so it's not worth looking at that. Apple used to be ok, but they have gone 30 steps backwards in the past few years.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Of those options, I'd lean towards the HP or the Dell.

Regarding customer service, as already mentioned, yes it's true that you'll probably get better help/advice here at the Cafe than you would from their call center in Calcutta. Met said he'd never own another Dell; well, I like my Dell just fine, and I'd never own another Toshiba, for support reasons, so there ya go. It's hit and miss. Asus I know makes good motherboards but I've no experience with their actual entire computer products.

This is one of those cases where you're going to be getting plenty of bang for your buck, and you could make a decision based on purely aesthetic reasons for what that's worth and be a happy camper.
scottaa1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, it's all about the experiences we have with the products and companies we deal with. People's opinions can vary greatly on the exact same product from the exact same company. scott has had good experiences with Dell, I haven't. Doesn't mean anything to the guy in the middle and it could go either way.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm

after reading this thread i wish i would have gotten an Asus desktop over a Gateway...the Asus was like $50 more though and had an i5 vs and i3...oh well :-/
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:57 pm

I vote for the Asus 1 laptop.

(someone who owns a Dell and an HP)
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:22 pm

I've had my Dell 1410 @ home for 3+ years and any minor problems I've been able to fix myself. Biggest problem was it overheating and melting the side, but I pulled out some little compartment and there was dust blocking the heat's exit.

Actually the biggest problem was that it wouldn't pick up my home wireless, and when I unplugged it from the LAN it would crap out my entire network. D/L the latest drivers, and unplugged the wire while the system is off and it works now. But if I were to plug and unplug the LAN while it was on I bet it would crash it.

I got Office 2010 through a work discount for $9.99 :-B

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:07 pm

bigken117 wrote:I got Office 2010 through a work discount for $9.99 :-B

I was suprised when he said $100 for the academic version. I know a lot of teachers who also received it for 10 bucks. Must be different at the collegiate level. Honestly, with Google docs and Open Office doing a pretty good job at basic stuff I'd save the $100.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 pm

jfg wrote:
bigken117 wrote:I got Office 2010 through a work discount for $9.99 :-B

I was suprised when he said $100 for the academic version. I know a lot of teachers who also received it for 10 bucks. Must be different at the collegiate level. Honestly, with Google docs and Open Office doing a pretty good job at basic stuff I'd save the $100.

it's $100 for the office professional.. which i believe has project on it.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:38 am

lastingsgriller wrote:it's $100 for the office professional.. which i believe has project on it.

yeah, basic office doesn't have MS Project. Not sure on if it has Access or Sharepoint.

I can get Office '10 through work for $19.99, double that and I can get Project, for home use. Project makes me feel like there's an egg scrambler going full speed inside my skull.
scottaa1
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk