computer question? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

computer question?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: computer question?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 pm

dAnzac wrote:
Metroid wrote: I'm pretty bad with remembering....much of anything these days. haha.

Must be all the apple buttsecks affecting your memory :-?

What's wrong with apple butts? :-C

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:52 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:from most of the research I have done, it seems that everything around my price range has either the intel 2 duo core processor or intel core i5 processor.. is one of these better than the other? should this be any concern of mine?

when I go to the store and look at them, I just seem to like the ones with the big screens.. and having a 10 key numeric pad on a laptop seems like a nice touch. other than that, I really have no idea what I am doing.. :-/

The i5 is sorta in between the core 2 duo and the higher end i7 chip. Either of those will more than meet your needs. You could easily get away with a simple dual core chip, without the extra money for the core 2 duo. Depends on your future needs, but it doesn't sound like you will run any games or CAD or photoshop 64 bit or be crunching video.

A laptop with a i3 chip, 3 or 4 gigs of ram, 17+" widescreeen, and a terabyte or greater harddrive would keep you happy for years and cost you ~ half of your budget. I envy you, I'd certainly love to have $1200 to throw at a new lappy right now :-)

edit: this is the list I use to compare chips, thought I posted it earlier but didnt http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
Last edited by scottaa1 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottaa1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

7 years for a Mac laptop is pretty lucky. My dad is a huge Mac fan and I'd say he's had to replace a Mac laptop at least 3 times in the past 10 years. My sister had hers for about 4-5 years and it died. You're just lucky I think. If you buy from a good brand, a Windows computer will have the same durability as a Mac.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:03 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Additionally, I am able to purchase Ofiice 2010 Academic Professional for about $100 through my school.. is there any difference between this and regular office 2010 professional, which is like $500?

Finally, Office Professional 2010 Academic edition is licensed only for use by educators and students. Available in campus bookstores and some retail outlets, you must meet Microsoft’s lofty requirements before you can legally use the Academic edition.

Containing the same programs as the full retail Professional edition, this edition is the biggest bargain if you qualify for a license. At just $99, the savings on this edition just may make it worth going back to college.

source
scottaa1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:09 pm

scottaa1 wrote: a whole bunch of good, informing stuff..

very many thanks!! ;-D
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 pm

jfg wrote:7 years for a Mac laptop is pretty lucky. My dad is a huge Mac fan and I'd say he's had to replace a Mac laptop at least 3 times in the past 10 years. My sister had hers for about 4-5 years and it died. You're just lucky I think. If you buy from a good brand, a Windows computer will have the same durability as a Mac.

Yeah I was wrong on the length of time. We've had this MacBook for like 5 years or something, not 7. It is the first generation. Still, not a problem with it at all. My girl's best friend bought a Macbook when she was still in college 6 years ago or so, she's not a designer or a gamer or any of that, she just used it for school and now uses it for some light work, music storage, and web surfing. Still has it, still running strong. I do know that my girl's workmate, who is a designer as well, bought a first generation Macbook pro refurb as well and did have monitor issues when he first got it. Still, after it was fixed it worked fine up until this year when it finally gave out. I could just as easily say, from my personal experience, that "you're family is just unlucky I think."

As with anything, people are going to have much different experiences with the products they buy. Some of that has to do with the product itself, and some has to do with how it's used. We could both go out right now and buy two identical Toyota Tacoma's. Yours might last 20 years and do 300+ thousand miles while mine barely breaks 150 and puts out after 5 years. You just never know what you're going to get. Call it lucky if you want, I'd still say more often than not that Mac's, much like Toyota's, tend to last a long time.
Last edited by Metroid on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:

very many thanks!! ;-D

happy to help ;-D if you find some models that catch your eye, post a link.

no Met... not male models 8-o
scottaa1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:23 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

very many thanks!! ;-D

happy to help ;-D if you find some models that catch your eye, post a link.

no Met... not male models 8-o

:,-(

Hey thanks for hurrying over to help. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:26 pm

jfg wrote:7 years for a Mac laptop is pretty lucky. My dad is a huge Mac fan and I'd say he's had to replace a Mac laptop at least 3 times in the past 10 years. My sister had hers for about 4-5 years and it died. You're just lucky I think. If you buy from a good brand, a Windows computer will have the same durability as a Mac.

I have a Macbook, and while I'm very happy with my purchase, I wouldn't say it's any more durable than a PC. I take excellent care of my computer but after a year and a half the backlight on the screen burned out. I took the risk of fixing it myself and bought a new screen for $100 on eBay and was able to install it without a problem, but the same thing then happened to one of my friends a few months later and he brought it to Apple to get it fixed, which cost him $350. As scott pointed out, you can get a brand new laptop that covers most people's needs for that price now.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Currently in a toss up between these four...

HP
$799

Dell
$799

Asus 1
$699

Asus 2
$829

I can't for the life of me figure out what the more expensive Asus has that the less expensive one doesn't, so as of right now that one is out :pending clarification:

note: computer must be purchased as best buy due to a plethora of gift cards.. which limits my options somewhat.

**edited to fx links.. **
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk