right of way question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

right of way question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: right of way question

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 am

markj11 wrote:Also, would they ask for permission if there was a right of way? Seems like they would just go ahead.

Honestly bro, don't sign anything they give you before taking it to a real estate agency or preferably a lawyer. you may be entitled to additional compensation or refusal.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:20 am

it appears the existing ROW was already there when you bought...it had to be dedicated for future paving expansion...which is what you already knew when you bought the home. so no big deal there

what appears to have happened is during design of the new street they realized they needed more land to fit all the utilities in....not uncommon. engineers are usually really lazy when it comes to design(i am one so i know), and just take the easy way out and say everything has to be pushed out regardless of what it costs the public. easier to tell the municipality to aquire more land than figure out a way to make it work w the ex ROW

so they came to you to tell you you were giving them more land. you do have a right to refute this and hire a lawyer. this lawyer could have pleaded your case and gotten you more money. the county i work for usually gives you more money as a plea bargin if you ask. but it seems like you already signed it and got paid. they shoudl have also paid for your tree replacement. i would ask them if its ok to replant the trees(usually this is allowed since its just an esmt for utilities, nothing above ground), and if they would pay for it if that was not already part of the deal

moral of the story and something i will always remember when buying a house...do not buy a home adjacent to a major thoroughfare or roadway with potential for expansion..as it will happen eventually and it will suck
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:35 am

moral of the story is that shawngee sucks ;-7
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 pm

yes...when i took this job thats how it felt..as if i was the bad guy making the public conform to regulations and making them spend more money/taking their land

6 years later i still feel the same way...but getting the paycheck every other week sure does help out :-b
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk