Greinke to the Brewers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greinke to the Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greinke to the Brewers

Postby rotoquest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:29 am

Just announced on ESPN. He should have a better year this year. Actually hoping he would fall on draft boards by staying with KC.
Jim Breem of the blog "Bernie's Crew," as well as OnMilwaukee.com, were the first to report the deal, and ESPN's Buster Olney and Jerry Crasnick are now backing up the story, so it appears it's legit. There's some conflict as to which players exactly are involved, but both sites can agree on outfielder Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar and reliever Jeremy Jeffress. The Royals might also be receiving pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi, with Yuniesky Betancourt possibly also going to Milwaukee. To put it nicely, it's definitely a quantity over quality trade for the Royals, as they're not getting a blue chip prospect but instead a handful of players that could be solid contributors.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Greinke to the Brewers

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:36 am

I would hope Odorizzi is involved otherwise it doesn't look like much at all for Greinke. I would have thought the Rangers would have gotten involved after losing out on Lee.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby Ray Zorback » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:50 am

according to Buster Olney...

The Brewers acquired ace righty Zack Greinke from the Royals, confirms ESPN's Buster Olney. Milwaukee will reportedly send shortstop Alcides Escobar, center fielder Lorenzo Cain, and pitching prospects Jeremy Jeffress and Jake Odorizzi to the Royals for Greinke, shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt, and $2MM. Credit Jim Breen of Bernie's Crew with the scoop last night, with an assist to Andrew Wagner of OnMilwaukee.com.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 274)

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:13 am

Gallardo
Griekne
Marcum
Wolf and...

They will be plucky for sure. The competition isn't exactly tough. The Reds maybe still?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby mweir145 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:29 am

Looks like a bit of a fleecing to me. None of these guys are near the quality of Snider or Drabek (players they were supposedly asking for from the Jays).

DM just got fixated on a few positions (CF/SS/SP) and targeted them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 am

Focusing on positions of youngsters like this is a bad idea. They're re-building, they should be looking for quality anywhere they can get it. I guess I'm kind of bitter because I'd rather the Jays gave them Yunel and some other spare parts for Greinke if that's all it woulda taken. Escobar took a big hit this year when people realized he kinda can't hit, and he's the centerpiece of the deal. Jeffress is likely a reliever if he ever makes it to the big leagues, and Odorizzi.... well he was the best of a weak pitching prospect group in Milwaukee. You never know with prospects, but still, they probably could have done a lot better.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:13 pm

greinke rejected #nats but accepted #brewers bec he believes milwaukee can win sooner, i hear. also said to like city

Jon Heyman's twitter.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:24 pm

You read about what these teams are asking for and then you see what they actually get when they trade a top player. I know there's compromise and negotiations or whatever, but seriously? :-S
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:25 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:You read about what these teams are asking for and then you see what they actually get when they trade a top player. I know there's compromise and negotiations or whatever, but seriously? :-S

The no limited trade clause probably really hurt the Royals at the negotiation table. Greinke being able to reject potential suitors (like the Nationals and Yankees), means that there are less potential buyers to pick from.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 pm

thedude wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:You read about what these teams are asking for and then you see what they actually get when they trade a top player. I know there's compromise and negotiations or whatever, but seriously? :-S

The no limited trade clause probably really hurt the Royals at the negotiation table. Greinke being able to reject potential suitors (like the Nationals and Yankees), means that there are less potential buyers to pick from.

I understand....it's still a borderline joke package though. They had to have been able to get more from someone.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers