Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league

Postby MTUCache » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:44 am

I'm 99% sure that if you did make this change, the more knowledgeable owners would regret it immediately after the draft.

An auction format gives SO many more advantages to people who do their homework and understand the "game" of fantasy... losing out on a $2 prospect because someone else blindly follows your lead is such a tiny, tiny annoyance that I hardly believe they'd notice it.

So many easy solutions for those owners to implement here that it seems ridiculous they'd even suggest the idea of taking this league back three steps just so they can go forward one.

1.) Wait until the piggybackers are out of money. (Don't tell me that them "holding" money for this creates strategy problems, because that just makes bigger advantages for the good owners.)
2.) Test the piggybackers by throwing out $1 bids on players who you don't want. (Yes, this can backfire, but if the piggybackers still don't know who you want you can pick them up off the WW later.)
3.) Save some money and out-bid them. Sure, they trust the judgment of these good players, but that doesn't mean they're going to be willing to bid $10 on a player they've never heard of.

If these players in question aren't worth the above work/gambits, then they're probably not worth changing the entire format of your league over either.

Snake drafts are for chump casual fan leagues. Might as well just blow up the league and forget about the whole thing if your owners want to go back to that.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm sorry... but that piggybacking as you term it is gamesmanship and strategy and there's nothing wrong with it... to be honest if I want someone as a sleeper... I don't really bring that player up until I've brought up at least 5 others I don't want. I put the less owners into a position where they have too much money spent and too many positions filled so they are on the defensive... then I may try to get a sleeper or two.

The fact that your more knowledgeable owners don't do this is a sign that they may not be as knowledgeable as you think. That or they are just lazy (which is a shit excuse to completely change your league rules)

Sucks to be you ;p

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:25 pm

I just dont get the concern..if people are piggybacking on everyone then they must be getting burnt too because surely no smart owner would only bid/nominate on only "great secret players" or players they want. Bluff bidding, clearing money players out, throwing buzz sleepers out early should all be happening. I couldnt fathom getting away from auction, full control over building your team as you see fit.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby firstofmany22 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I agree with all of you - auctions are better than drafts. Unfortunately for me, that ship has sailed for 2011. I wasn't surprised that the "good" owners went for a snake draft; I knew they were frustrated. But I was surprised that many of the other owners went along. Many are really into fantasy baseball, but just wanted to scratch an itch or try something new. To me, you do that by increasing side bets or changing categories - not by dumbing down the league. If we don't change back to auction in 2012, I'll be back on this site looking for a new league.
firstofmany22
T-Ball Trainer

Postby converge241 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:14 am

I know the ship has sailed but amn I can imagine some of those owners being upset because "less knowledgable player A" lucks into some great sleeper just because he happened to be on the clock at that point and reads some blurb or something, know what I mean?

Best of luck though hopefully this calms down an issue you all have to deal with.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby HustlinOwl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 am

firstofmany22 wrote:Good comments guys - thanks. I'm arguing on behalf of others in our league, because this piggybacking isn't something that really bothers me. It's the change to a snake draft that bothers me. I voted against the change for 2011 and lost, so I'm working on a solution for 2012. I'm one of the only out-of-towners, and I just can't see hopping on a plane to participate in a snake draft even though I have a lot of friends in the league.

BTW, we can't hide identities - we're all in the same room. I was hoping some other leagues had electronic bidding or some other way to have an auction where you're aware of the bids but don't know who's bidding. Kicking people out is an option, but there are co-workers involved.

Rich

www.couchmanagers.com is your friend have used this for the past 2 going 3 years for my draft and love the slow auction draft feature.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby award1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:34 pm

ive seen the same problem before. here is what we did for that issue.You take a next year sleeper like say jose lopez or ian stewart. Basically someone out of the top 150, 200, or wherever this is becoming a problem. So lopez comes up. Smart manager x had a wriiten bid saying the maximum he will pay for lopez. Lest say for argument sake eight dollars. so the lopez auction opens up, high bid is three dollars. And the unknowledgeable manager bids up the smarter manager. If he didnt have, in writing, that he was planning on bidding for lopez, then he is closed out of the auction for that guy. Its sounds confusing and difficult but its really not. Couple things to note, DO NOT DO THIS WITH EVERY GUY. Im in a depp 16 league so this only took effect after 300 players had previously been drafted. Its always in the last 1/4 of the auction where this becomes an issue. Hope this helps a little. If u have any further questions to this format then just ask
award1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TopChuckie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 am

Sorry, but if the "smart" owners in your league couldn't combat this on their own, then you don't really have any.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm

TopChuckie wrote:Sorry, but if the "smart" owners in your league couldn't combat this on their own, then you don't really have any.

+1
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby misterf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:36 pm

I actually see this as an opportunity to for the smart guys.

Why don't the sharps just make bids on total busts knowing that the schmucks in the league would jump all over them and waste their money?

Also, it seems like it would be rather easy for the smart guys to entice the schmucks to overbid on some of the middle tier guys.

Any time that the smart guys in a league know how the schmucks are going to act in the draft, I see that as a huge advantage that can be exploited.

And switching to a snake draft will only empower the doofuses even more.

I would tell the better players to quit whining and suck it up!
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner