Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league

Postby firstofmany22 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:01 pm

I've been in a great league for 18 years. We have used an auction format all that time, but we're switching to a snake draft this year. Why? Some of the lesser owners routinely "piggyback" off the better owners' picks. If one of the better guys throws out $2 for Jenrry Mejia this spring, you can be sure one of the others will bid $3. In our league we all agree that auctions are more challenging, but this piggybacking problem is bad enough to make some key owners want to make this move.

Sealed bids might work, but it might take away the chance to get some great bargains or push other owners up in price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich
firstofmany22
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need a solution to a piggybacking problem in auction league

Postby bigmck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't quite see your problem. What are you referring to by "piggybacking"? If a lesser owner wants to bid higher on a player, what is the problem. That is the way an auction works.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby firstofmany22 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:46 pm

The problem is that the most knowledgeable owners don't want to play in our league anymore. It's frustrating for them to do their research, find sleepers, and then lose them in the auction to people who don't know who that player is. They just know that if XYZ wants him, he must be really good, so they'll bid the extra money. That's what I mean by "piggybacking".

I think the trick is to have an auction, but with identities concealed. I just don't know an effective way to do that.
firstofmany22
T-Ball Trainer

Postby fast dogs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 pm

gotta admit I've never heard of this 1 before. So knowledgeable owner X bids on Joe Schmo, the "piggyback" bids next figuring he's good. room(bidding) goes quiet, piggyback gets stuck with him. Guess that can't work all auction. piggyback guy(s) fill up position, guys in know then nominate that player. again, you can't do that all night long but I know I almost never nominate anyone I really want first third of auction.
I guess the most logical thing to do would be don't invite the lesser owners back if its really that big/obvious of a problem. Kind of hard to do too with same group of guys for over a decade maybe. There is alot of strategy & scenarios that play out in an auction; a huge part of the night is always going to end in frustration. I'd just think going to a snake after years of an auction is going to be a big change for how the league plays out.
How about doing auction on couch managers with different team names or have commish assign random letters to managers so you don't know which manager is which. Manager A, B C etc then after auction commish reveals who is who & what teams were which letter.
I just know doing an auction in the end usually gives the sharper managers a bigger advantage than a snake, I'd try to do something to keep the auction going
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby bigmck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Don't change your league from an auction because of this. == We have had about 90% of the same guys for about the last 12 years. There are two or three of our eleven who I would consider on the lower end of knowledge. They sometimes go for three or four of the good guys right off the bat and pay higher than market value, but that leaves them with less money to fill the rest of their team. If you are going to win in Fantasy, you need to have a knowledge of the $10 players as well as the $35 players. They lesser owners can't get all the good players, if they don't know who they are. The guys that have the knowledge will win the best players. I just can't see how someone bidding on a player just because someone else is can be a problem. The idea of a Fantasy Auction or any Auction is to bid the most. Since everyone has the same amount to bid with, I just don't see this as a problem.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajv174 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm

i can't imagine there's much you can do as a commissioner. if you choose to continue doing an auction, as a manger, you can either a) drive up the sleeper to the point that the bad managers are getting a bad deal or b) throw out non-sleepers to trick the bad owners to bidding on a bad player :-D
ajv174
T-Ball Trainer

Postby firstofmany22 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Good comments guys - thanks. I'm arguing on behalf of others in our league, because this piggybacking isn't something that really bothers me. It's the change to a snake draft that bothers me. I voted against the change for 2011 and lost, so I'm working on a solution for 2012. I'm one of the only out-of-towners, and I just can't see hopping on a plane to participate in a snake draft even though I have a lot of friends in the league.

BTW, we can't hide identities - we're all in the same room. I was hoping some other leagues had electronic bidding or some other way to have an auction where you're aware of the bids but don't know who's bidding. Kicking people out is an option, but there are co-workers involved.

Rich
firstofmany22
T-Ball Trainer

Postby fast dogs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:25 pm

a live auction is great fun & worth the effort. absolutely no reason to have an in-person snake
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby bigmck » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:44 pm

I am commishioner of both a 16 year old Auction League and a 21 year old Draft League. Some of the guys are in both, but the Auction has had about two players quit in the last ten years. The Draft League has people quit every year. It is not nearly as much fun nor as challenging. If you switch to Draft, you will find that Auction is more fun I am sure. == In the Draft League we allow two roster moves (not counting DL) each week. Last year we started bidding on those instead of a "first claim, first get". We give everyone $500 to bid with for the whole year. When that is gone, you can't pickup anymore players. It has put more fun in the game. You might try that. Still, there is nothing like preparing for an Auction. I take off work the Friday before our spring Auction to prepare. Others do things like that also. There just isn't as much to prepare for in a Draft. I hope you convince the other owners to stick with an Auction. There is just nothing like it.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:49 pm

you could do it online and hand out fake names randomly to be entered as their profile name during the draft. so nobody would know who each team really is. i suggest Disney Characters. no idea why....for some weird reason that popped in my head
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner