100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phillies Sign Cliff Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Phillies Sign Cliff Lee

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Kim Bhasin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Haha, what are the Yankees going to do now? Trade all of their prospects for Greinke, I hope.

And how did the Phillies get both Lee and Halladay to take massive pay cuts over the last two years to sign with them? 8-o

The Royals are licking their lips in anticipation of the haul they're gonna get for Greinke.

What else can the Yanks do? Brandon Webb?

CARL PAVANO? Ironic.

I don't see any way the Yankees deal for Grienke. The Yankees can beg Pettitte to come back and go with a rotation of Sabathia-Hughes-Pettitte-Burnett-Nova and spend the money saved from Lee on bolstering the bullpen with guys like Wood and Feliciano. Maybe Soriano if they are real desperate and he's willing to play a setup role (for closer pay).

You guys quickly forget that the Yankees routinely won 95-100 games and the AL East every year from 2004-2007 with garbage in their rotation. Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon anyone? This team is certainly talented enough to compete for a WC at the very least with their lineup. And they have a ton of financial flexibility now.

Agreed, the Yankees will be more than fine. They aren't the AL East favorites, but I don't see any team that will overtake them for the WC in the AL. Should win at least 90 games again.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Kim Bhasin wrote:Pirates 150/1.

They were 200/1 before the Overbay signing.

So, you're saying there's a chance. :-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby APAP » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:omg if this gets fully confirmed everywhere tomorrow, I'm done with baseball.

Doc, Lee, Hamels, AND Oswalt? It's over, OVER. This is worse than the Heat.

It's not like they buy all their big name players through free agency...Lee will be in a group of 3 starting players signed through free agency along with Polonco and Ibanez. Every other starter was either brought through the system or aquired from talent they developed. If anything I respect how the Phillies have created such a "stacked" team this way instead of ways such as the Yankees, Sox, and Mets have done. I don't understand how that is not appreciated in some ways

Beckett, Lowell, Gonzalez, VMart were all acquired with developed talent and Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Papelbon and Bard all came up through the system yet somehow that is always forgotten....
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:15 pm

According to Jerry Crasnick, the Yankees just signed Mark Prior. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Tavish wrote:
MaudDib wrote:I say this not because I want them to fail. The Phillies offense is not the worse one in the league by any means but it is probably one of the worst ones for teams that have a reasonable shot at winning a title.

You are talking about the Phils who were the second highest scoring team in the NL last year right? Do you think Werth was really so valuable that his replacement will cost them 80-90 runs?

Yep. Same team only without one of their better hitters. Ruiz is unlikely to repeat his numbers from last year. Ibanez and Polanco have been regressing. Howard can still hit HR but counting on much else from him is asking for a lot. Rollins and Utley could have better years but both are 32 and their best years a behind them.

So once again, they are good team but they are not going to be unbelievable.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 pm

MaudDib wrote:
Tavish wrote:
MaudDib wrote:I say this not because I want them to fail. The Phillies offense is not the worse one in the league by any means but it is probably one of the worst ones for teams that have a reasonable shot at winning a title.

You are talking about the Phils who were the second highest scoring team in the NL last year right? Do you think Werth was really so valuable that his replacement will cost them 80-90 runs?

Yep. Same team only without one of their better hitters. Ruiz is unlikely to repeat his numbers from last year. Ibanez and Polanco have been regressing. Howard can still hit HR but counting on much else from him is asking for a lot. Rollins and Utley could have better years but both are 32 and their best years a behind them.

Ditto, it's pretty probable to expect a significant decline on offense this year unless Dom Brown is explosive next year. Middle of the pack is still their floor, which is more than enough when the rotation is historic.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:58 am

MaudDib wrote:
Tavish wrote:

There is a pretty big gap between "not an unbelievable" offense and "one of the worst of contending teams" offenses. Other than the Reds I don't see any team in the NL that should outscore them.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:30 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:According to Jerry Crasnick, the Yankees just signed Mark Prior. ;-D

That's the sound of the Yankees' front office crapping their pants. :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Fenway Punk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Both Oswalt and Lee are gonna miss time next year. Calling it now. Not hating. Not s**t shoveling. It isn't out of this world to predict injuries to these two, especially with the way this rotation is being hyped. Cmon, this is Philly. Nothing works out the way it's drawn up. *cough* We in Boston know nothing of this. !+)
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Fenway Punk wrote:Both Oswalt and Lee are gonna miss time next year. Calling it now. Not hating. Not s**t shoveling.

Yeah, we all read that FanGraphs article, too.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers