Reynolds to Baltimore? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reynolds to Baltimore?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Reynolds to Baltimore?

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Obviously there's more than just power to consider. OPS isn't just power though. You pick the hitting metric to use, and Ellsbury is just not that good. 355 OBA is alright, but not that special for an outfielder with no power and a -10 UZR. By the way I don't think a freakishly low UZR is a redeeming quality, but I guess that's just me. Ellsbury would probably be pleased as punch to have a season as good as Adam Lind's 2009. Hell, Adam Lind would probably like to have another season as good as Adam Lind's 2009, haha.

This is all off-topic though... point is, Jays are crawling through the AL East and will wind up on top in 2012. Not the boldest of predictions, and there will be growing pains in 2011 considering they'll likely have two rookies in the rotation (with the three "vets" being in their mid-20s), a rookie catcher, and Lawrie will probably earn a starting spot at some point, but they'll still be miles better than the Orioles.

freakish as in "not consistent with his history". I meant "flukish" instead. Damn you Autocorrect!

predicting the Jays will be up top in two years is pretty bold actually. I do think Morrow is a potential ace, but other than that, their pitching is pretty mediocre unless a bunch of guys take huge leaps forward.

Being better than the Orioles isn't a bold prediction though. The Jays may challenge the Rays for 3rd though. But I doubt it either this year or next. Since the Rays are also flush with a bunch of youngsters.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:55 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Obviously there's more than just power to consider. OPS isn't just power though. You pick the hitting metric to use, and Ellsbury is just not that good. 355 OBA is alright, but not that special for an outfielder with no power and a -10 UZR. By the way I don't think a freakishly low UZR is a redeeming quality, but I guess that's just me. Ellsbury would probably be pleased as punch to have a season as good as Adam Lind's 2009. Hell, Adam Lind would probably like to have another season as good as Adam Lind's 2009, haha.

This is all off-topic though... point is, Jays are crawling through the AL East and will wind up on top in 2012. Not the boldest of predictions, and there will be growing pains in 2011 considering they'll likely have two rookies in the rotation (with the three "vets" being in their mid-20s), a rookie catcher, and Lawrie will probably earn a starting spot at some point, but they'll still be miles better than the Orioles.

freakish as in "not consistent with his history". I meant "flukish" instead. Damn you Autocorrect!

predicting the Jays will be up top in two years is pretty bold actually. I do think Morrow is a potential ace, but other than that, their pitching is pretty mediocre unless a bunch of guys take huge leaps forward.

Being better than the Orioles isn't a bold prediction though. The Jays may challenge the Rays for 3rd though. But I doubt it either this year or next. Since the Rays are also flush with a bunch of youngsters.

The Jays had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball last season. While losing Marcum is a significant hit, if guys like Romero, Morrow, Cecil, Rzep, and Drabek continue to improve, that side of the game shouldn't be a problem for them at all.

Really, if the team wanted to contend right now, they probably could. There's a good enough base in place. But that would require Rogers actually spending an above-average sum on the MLB roster (something they've been unwilling to do over their 10 years of owning the team). As it stands, they'll probably finish with another Oakland A's-like 80 win season (which reminds me, it's just about time for Aussie's sig).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:11 am

How was your holiday, Steve?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

StlSluggers wrote:How was your holiday, Steve?

As uneventful as any other.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

mweir145 wrote:

Do they celebrate Christmas in Canada?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:55 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Nah, we're all pagans.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

Nah, we're all pagans.

Mookie, take note.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:55 am

2012 seems really optimistic considering they are still in a rebuilding mode. I'll give most Blue Jays fans enough credit that they don't take some career offensive seasons as a sign that all they need is a couple of good prospects to come up and they are ready to contend.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers