Marcum to Brewers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marcum to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marcum to Brewers

Postby RugbyD » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:06 am

Marcum traded for Brett Lawrie.

Sounds good on the margin for Marcum moving out of AL East and into NL.

Does this mean Lawrie is done at 2B or is Aaron Hill potentially on the move in a year or two?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marcum to Brewers

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 am

Theres talk that this is a precussor to Blue Jays trading for Greinke, by making a rotation spot and getting more depth with their prospects.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

RugbyD wrote:Does this mean Lawrie is done at 2B or is Aaron Hill potentially on the move in a year or two?

With all this Greinke talk, we need to see if Lawrie stays with the Jays.

If he does stay, he's maybe a year or two away. Hill has two years left on his contract, I believe, and club options for $8MM at the end of it for up to three years. It will be interesting to see what happens. $8MM isn't the end of the world if Hill can bounce back somewhat from last season and Lawrie isn't the best defensive 2B you will see according to reports. Some see him being moved to the OF.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 pm

As long as he can hit, I'll settle for sub-par defense, as long as it's not glaringly bad. Anything to avoid guys like John McDonald getting significant playing time. Tearing the cover off the ball tends to sway peoples' perception of how good a player is in the field anyway, ie Jose Bautista. Listening to the radio in Toronto you'd think he deserved the gold glove at both 3B and RF last season.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:47 pm

As a supporter of the Brew I don't much like this trade. Marcum will be good, but Brett Lawrie was supposed to be a key part of this teams future. I guess this means Rickie Weeks isn't going anywhere anytime soon :-t
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:03 am

Will miss having Lawrie in the system, but happy we added Marcum. His quality numbers in the AL East should translate well to the NL Central. Melvin's post-trade comments seem to paint the picture that the org didn't view Lawrie as a 2B anymore...he is just such a hack defensively there. 3B could be a possibility, but I would think 1B or corner OF is more likely...could even end up a DH in the AL. I'm guessing Melvin felt we had enough all bat/no glove guys on the roster, particularly for an NL team. Once upon a time I felt like Lawrie could end up a little like a Jeff Kent, maybe a few more SB and few less HR. Now I don't think he even will even approach Kent's defensive "prowess", which isn't saying much. I think he's an outfielder long term.

That said, it does hurt to give up our top impact bat in the minors. Give to get I guess, pitching's at a premium. I think it could end up being a solid win/win trade for both teams, particularly if we can extend Marcum (and hopefully Weeks).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:52 am

Marcum is a gangsta.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Lowrie is going to end up in LF or RF which is going to hurt his value quite a bit.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:31 am

RugbyD wrote:Marcum traded for Brett Lawrie.

Sounds good on the margin for Marcum moving out of AL East and into NL.

Does this mean Lawrie is done at 2B or is Aaron Hill potentially on the move in a year or two?

Marcum was 1-6 against Tampa Bay, New York and Boston last season, and allowed 38 ER in about 60 innings pitched against those teams. This, of course, is assuming my quick mental math is correct. :-D

You replace that schedule with the NL Central and there's no telling what kind of year he could have.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Marcum is a automatic late round pick for me now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers