Gonzalez to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gonzalez to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gonzalez to Boston?

Postby bigken117 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:40 pm

yeah I'm not too upset they let Victor walk ... he was a great hitting catcher but if the focus was on D then you gotta get him out of there.

Frustration maybe boiling over from Teixeira a couple years ago when it seemed like the Sox had him in the bag but were unwilling to do what it took to get the marquee guy within a few mill or so, if this had fallen through then yes, you could fault the FO for letting a year or few mill get in the way again. Especially when they bid against themselves for Drew and overpaid for Lackey.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dAnzac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 pm

bigken117 wrote:Frustration maybe boiling over from Teixeira a couple years ago when it seemed like the Sox had him in the bag but were unwilling to do what it took to get the marquee guy within a few mill or so,

It wasn't a few mil, it was that they wouldn't give him a no-trade clause.

Boohoo poor Boston [plays worlds smallest violin]
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:46 pm

mweir145 wrote:Red Sox fans don't know how good they have it.

Actually, some of us do. Of course, if you went to Sons of Sam Horn, you would think the world was about to end today...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bigken117 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:50 pm

dAnzac wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Frustration maybe boiling over from Teixeira a couple years ago when it seemed like the Sox had him in the bag but were unwilling to do what it took to get the marquee guy within a few mill or so,

It wasn't a few mil, it was that they wouldn't give him a no-trade clause.

Boohoo poor Boston [plays worlds smallest violin]

I though it was the extra year but thinking the AAV offered was higher, but that was many, many, many beer ago.

quick search shows 1.5 mil per season though I don't know how accurate considering the source should be making sandwiches
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35677002/ ... -baseball/

and just because your team isn't going to make any good moves don't piss in my Cheerios :^

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:52 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote: if you went to Sons of Sam Horn

blah, I'd rather listen to WEEI (Sean McAdam excluded) talk baseball

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

Postby dAnzac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:58 pm

bigken117 wrote:and just because your team isn't going to make any good moves don't piss in my Cheerios :^

The more free agents that reject us, the more I'm losing it this off-season.
Lance Berkman (my dream signing for '11) cheesed me off a lot.
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 am

bigken117 wrote:Frustration maybe boiling over from Teixeira a couple years ago when it seemed like the Sox had him in the bag but were unwilling to do what it took to get the marquee guy within a few mill or so, if this had fallen through then yes, you could fault the FO for letting a year or few mill get in the way again. Especially when they bid against themselves for Drew and overpaid for Lackey.

Red Sox have been upset at many of the moves and non-moves this team has made the last few years: Teix, Bay, V-mart, ect... While it seems every year the Yankees always get their top choice: Sabathia, A-Rod, Teix.

Not saying fans are wrong or right in their frustration, but that is what the front office us dealing with.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 am

bigken117 wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote: if you went to Sons of Sam Horn

blah, I'd rather listen to WEEI (Sean McAdam excluded) talk baseball

Yeah, I promised myself I wouldn't go back but I got suckered in yesterday trying to find news of any sort...It reminded me of why Sox fans, in general, get such a bad rap.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

Love the whole deal. Doubly glad it basically keeps them away from a big Beltre deal (screw that Youkilis to OF noise)

Was funny because was @ an event behind Fenway Thursday night (Kevin Smith @ House of Blues) and after the show coming up yawkey way mentioned to my wife there was some late night activity going on but just assumed general late hours in prep for Winter Meetings. Saw first word of the Adrian stuff late Friday night and was like 8-o .
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Kelly was main target

Then, once Epstein made it clear that Casey Kelly was available, talks heated up in a hurry.

"Ultimately, for me, getting Kelly was very important," Hoyer said. "Getting a guy that can be in the rotation for a long time. I didn't see any reason to do a deal without him. Getting a depth type of deal wasn't our goal and once Kelly was included it was a lot easier to get done."

Jed Hoyer scouted Kelly for the Sox before they drafted him. Of all people he should know that he'll never be anything. He should know potential command of three plus pitches is garbage. Why didn't he look at those junk AA stats as the youngest player in the league?? :-C

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers