Gonzalez to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gonzalez to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gonzalez to Boston?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:05 pm

bigken117 wrote:Kelly was main target

Then, once Epstein made it clear that Casey Kelly was available, talks heated up in a hurry.

"Ultimately, for me, getting Kelly was very important," Hoyer said. "Getting a guy that can be in the rotation for a long time. I didn't see any reason to do a deal without him. Getting a depth type of deal wasn't our goal and once Kelly was included it was a lot easier to get done."

Jed Hoyer scouted Kelly for the Sox before they drafted him. Of all people he should know that he'll never be anything. He should know potential command of three plus pitches is garbage. Why didn't he look at those junk AA stats as the youngest player in the league?? :-C

I know where you're going with this, but I think Kelly is pretty overrated too. Not as bad as some others on this site, but yeah.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:22 pm

'bout to be a dust-up in here folks...you may want to clear out... :-o
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:43 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:'bout to be a dust-up in here folks...you may want to clear out... :-o

I'm just saying....I don't think Casey Kelly is the uber-prospect Boston fans build him up to be which is why they are the clear winners in this trade.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:49 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:'bout to be a dust-up in here folks...you may want to clear out... :-o

I'm just saying....I don't think Casey Kelly is the uber-prospect Boston fans build him up to be which is why they are the clear winners in this trade.

Calm down.

Actually most scouts build him up as an uber-prospect, fans blindly believe the hype. And whenever you get a perennial All Star for 3 guys who haven't played above AA, you're always the clear winner right away.

I agreed Kelly is overrated, he's just not as bad as people who hate the Red Sox make him out to be. Dude just started focusing on pitching full time this season and was the second youngest guy in AA.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Calm down.

AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Fans will always overrate their own farm system and underrate other teams'. Just the nature of the beast.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm

bigken117 wrote:He should know potential command of three plus pitches is garbage.

1.) He does not have three plus pitches. The scouting report on him was plus control (which disappeared this year) and "mound presence" (if that is even a real thing). There is no shot his FB can be considered a plus pitch right now.

2.) Kelly is not over rated if he is ranked around the 50'.s But he came into the season ranked the 18th best prospect overall in baseball (after ONLY pitching 90 innings b/w A, AA). Sorry, but it was laughable.

3.) I don't hate the Red Sox in the slightest, despite what most people think. I just hate when certain Red Sox players are over valued simply because they are a Red Sox/or a Red Sox prospect. That's all. People like Gammons did a fantastic job of hyping him up over the media. Gammons had him pegged to be a member of the rotation by July '10.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Calm down.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 pm

bigken117 wrote:Calm down.

@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 pm

In an interview with Mexican blog Puro Beisbol, Adrian Gonzalez denied that he has a contract extension in place with the Red Sox.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported earlier this week that the Red Sox have a preliminary agreement with Gonzalez on a seven-year, $154 million extension, but the new Boston first baseman said he hasn't signed anything. "Nothing about that is true," Gonzalez said. "It's false. I haven't signed any contract." We'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. The general consensus is that the Red Sox will wait until next April to announce the deal in order to avoid luxury tax implications. And to ensure that A-Gone's surgically-repaired shoulder is all good.
Source: MLB Trade Rumors
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers