Hanley Ramirez vs THE WORLD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hanley Ramirez vs THE WORLD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hanley Ramirez vs THE WORLD

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I think it's pretty obvious that the point he was trying to make is that position scarcity is given far too much weight by the average fantasy baseball player. And it's a valid point. Although it's more more true in traditional roto leagues that have CI, MI, and 5 OF spots. The idea behind it is that the replacement players at each position are generally just as good (or bad) as one another. The only real exception is catcher since the 25th best catcher is usually either really, really horrible at hitting, or doesn't get many at-bats.

Well if you're going to make that argument, why talk about Hanley and not someone like Reyes, Rollins, or Phillips? Hanley's "lackluster" 2010 was a lot like Kemp's 2009 (minus 25 RBI), and Kemp was a top 7 pick coming into this year.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't know why, I didn't start the thread. The fact that he's the biggest name from one of the so-called shallow positions probably had something to do with it. Also, a lot his value comes from SBs, as opposed to pure hitters like Pujols and Miggy Cabrera.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Fenway's really resting his balls in a vice with this thread. Gonna be a lot of bumpage come June if Hanley puts up non 2010 numbers...

FWIW, he's top 5 in my book all day. Not quite sure where yet, though. I'll have to check with Jay... :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigken117 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 am

pretty sure Hanley starts somewhere in my top 2 headed into next season.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:don't most of us play in leagues with CI, MI, and extra OF spots anyways? :-?

Nope...I play in three leagues and none of them use CI/MI. Two leagues have two UT spots while one league goes LF/CF/RF instead of three OF...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Fenway Punk » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Fenway's really resting his balls in a vice with this thread. Gonna be a lot of bumpage come June if Hanley puts up non 2010 numbers...

FWIW, he's top 5 in my book all day. Not quite sure where yet, though. I'll have to check with Jay... :-b

I am not. I'm pointing out that it is POSSIBLE that Hanley is a risk when it costs a top 5 to obtain him.
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Fenway Punk wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:Fenway's really resting his balls in a vice with this thread. Gonna be a lot of bumpage come June if Hanley puts up non 2010 numbers...

I am not. I'm pointing out that it is POSSIBLE that Hanley is a risk when it costs a top 5 to obtain him.

Everyone is a risk that high. Utley and Rodriguez were bigger busts among top 5 picks. So were Wright, Grady, and Reyes in 2009. Hanley was ranked 15 overall this year without taking position into account, and I consider that on par or better for guys picked that high. We don't draft guys in the top 5 because they'll produce top 5 numbers, but because they're more likely to produce top 5 numbers than anyone else. They most likely won't, but that will be because every year at least a couple Carlos Gonzalezes or Josh Hamiltons or Jose Bautistas will walk in from the fifth round or later and end up in the top 10. With rare exceptions, production across the board is volatile. Just because Hanley didn't produce top 5 numbers doesn't mean it was wrong to pick him there, and just because Bautista did produce top 10 numbers doesn't mean that he should have been picked in the top 200.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Everyone is a risk that high. Utley and Rodriguez were bigger busts among top 5 picks. So were Wright, Grady, and Reyes in 2009. Hanley was ranked 15 overall this year without taking position into account, and I consider that on par or better for guys picked that high. We don't draft guys in the top 5 because they'll produce top 5 numbers, but because they're more likely to produce top 5 numbers than anyone else. They most likely won't, but that will be because every year at least a couple Carlos Gonzalezes or Josh Hamiltons or Jose Bautistas will walk in from the fifth round or later and end up in the top 10. With rare exceptions, production across the board is volatile. Just because Hanley didn't produce top 5 numbers doesn't mean it was wrong to pick him there, and just because Bautista did produce top 10 numbers doesn't mean that he should have been picked in the top 200.

This.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Fenway Punk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:49 am

J35J wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Everyone is a risk that high. Utley and Rodriguez were bigger busts among top 5 picks. So were Wright, Grady, and Reyes in 2009. Hanley was ranked 15 overall this year without taking position into account, and I consider that on par or better for guys picked that high. We don't draft guys in the top 5 because they'll produce top 5 numbers, but because they're more likely to produce top 5 numbers than anyone else. They most likely won't, but that will be because every year at least a couple Carlos Gonzalezes or Josh Hamiltons or Jose Bautistas will walk in from the fifth round or later and end up in the top 10. With rare exceptions, production across the board is volatile. Just because Hanley didn't produce top 5 numbers doesn't mean it was wrong to pick him there, and just because Bautista did produce top 10 numbers doesn't mean that he should have been picked in the top 200.

This.

Agreed. The point of the thread was to get arguements on both sides, and we got some Katy Perry boobage as a bonus!
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers