Not a newbie; but don't know H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not a newbie; but don't know H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not a newbie; but don't know H2H

Postby acapulco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

I've played fantasy baseball w a points league format for about 10 years (at the end of the season, team with most points wins). I'm about to join a league with H2H (also points). Is the drafting strategy different from what I'm used to? Is the playing strategy different? Is there anything I need to keep in mind as I formulate my roster for the season or stretch of games? Thanks.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Not a newbie; but don't know H2H

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Need to know the categories your league will be scoring to really answer this question.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MTUCache » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:26 pm

In a word.... variance.

When you're dealing with things in short-term rather than long-, looking only a week or two into the future, things like matchups and bench depth become much more important than consistent performers.

Obviously things like max-moves or moves-per-week are going to affect strategy, along with what categories and such, but I think a weekly H2H really shows off the idea of "replacement level" in baseball. Outside of a handful of star performers who won't come out of your starting lineup for anything, everyone else on your team becomes a pawn, to be discarded or replaced at the earliest convenience.

In the playoffs of my H2H league last year I think I probably turned over my entire team twice, just inside the space of a month, simply to get the best matchups, the best two-start pitchers, and the most Monday/Thursday games I could. No allegiance to anybody at that time, not even Pujols. If he's not performing, or he's got a couple of tough matchups, I'd much rather have Konerko or Thome for that week.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fast dogs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 pm

the biggest thing is streaming SP in unlimited moves leagues. if your league doesn't have some restrictions there will be teams that don't draft SP at all early & just pick 'em up week by week. You might go more hitting early anyway in your h2h draft...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby acapulco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Guys--thanks a lot for your responses. I think I may just stick to the kind of fantasy baseball I know best. This "old dog" isn't that up for learning new tricks.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm

I think it really depends on how many teams you have in your league to implement this pitching streamer strategy. In shallower leagues, streaming two-start pitchers off the FA/WW works fine. There will be plenty of mid-level starters for you to choose from. In deeper leagues, however, you'll want to invest either a few early round picks or most of your mid-round picks on quality starters you can rely on a weekly basis. Otherwise you will be streaming pretty questionable options and be liable to get your pitching ratios blown up. I play in a 12 team H2H league and I've found this strategy works best. I'll go power early and often with picks #1-5, only grabbing an SP if he falls enough, and then stockpile my starting rotation with picks #6-10. You really don't want to start the season with an SP2/3 being your staff ace.

It really depends what your hitting categories are, but I tend to ignore speed and simply try and get power guys who hit for a good average/obp. Or if you don't want to completely forfeit steals, mix a blend of HR/SB threats into your lineup. In roto every steal counts, but in H2H the variances are too high to really build around speed as "winnable" category every week. My league counts OBP/SLG, so I concentrate on sluggers and bank on winning HR, RBI, AVG, OBP, SLG every week as often as I can.

You can go light on RPs at the beginning and not be penalized for not accumulating saves all season long like in roto. Simply be vigilant and you will build a decent bullpen to finish the year off for fantasy playoffs. I always begin the season with 2 or 3 really shaky closers, and by season's end I'll have 4 or 5 decent closers.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MTUCache » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 am

thejusman1 wrote:I tend to ignore speed...You can go light on RPs at the beginning...

Shh... This is by far the easiest way to dominate most casual leagues. The Yahoo/ESPN/CBS rankings always put value on players for their production throughout the year, making them really mostly applicable to roto or full-season point leagues.

Punting a category to firm up your dominance in another category is one of the easiest ways to take a little of the variance of weekly H2H and give yourself an edge. Because most offensive categories are related more to average and power than speed, this makes punting steals an easy choice. Just as you said, this also makes ignoring saves during the draft very easy. If you're confident that you'll be able to shape your team with FA later, there's no reason to pay for them.

Flexibility... watching your upcoming opponents, and putting together a team a week ahead of time that will beat your next opponent. If you're coming up against a guy who doesn't have any base-stealing threats, there are times when you'll end up picking up and starting a Rajai Davis type player and benching a Matt Holliday. Those 2-3SB are worth more this week than whatever else your normal starter will bring.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:40 am

MTUCache wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:I tend to ignore speed...You can go light on RPs at the beginning...

Shh... This is by far the easiest way to dominate most casual leagues. The Yahoo/ESPN/CBS rankings always put value on players for their production throughout the year, making them really mostly applicable to roto or full-season point leagues.

Punting a category to firm up your dominance in another category is one of the easiest ways to take a little of the variance of weekly H2H and give yourself an edge. Because most offensive categories are related more to average and power than speed, this makes punting steals an easy choice. Just as you said, this also makes ignoring saves during the draft very easy. If you're confident that you'll be able to shape your team with FA later, there's no reason to pay for them.

Flexibility... watching your upcoming opponents, and putting together a team a week ahead of time that will beat your next opponent. If you're coming up against a guy who doesn't have any base-stealing threats, there are times when you'll end up picking up and starting a Rajai Davis type player and benching a Matt Holliday. Those 2-3SB are worth more this week than whatever else your normal starter will bring.

i think the OP i talking about H2H points, not the lame Yahoo H2H
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm

i would call H2H points lame-o. the 1 legaue i play every yera thats h2h points..and i dont like it too much

no real thought put into it...which guy scores more points is the guy i play. no looking at categories...which imo adds to the fun. i enjoy building a fantasy team that has strengths and weaknesses...not just one taht scores 500 points a week

and drafting is boring in points. i just make a list of projected points accrued and draft down the list without regard for categories. how boring

i agree to load up on big bats early, forget steals and saves until later rounds. 1 dimensional guys arent too bad in h2h..especially in a points league...where all that matters is points...no matter how you get them
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers