Happy Thanksgiving! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Happy Thanksgiving!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:55 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:I just think it's detrimental to progress if people don't recognize history and continue to view Native Americans as parasites and trash instead of cultures that were on the ass end of five centuries of persecution. I have the same qualms about Columbus Day, actually, and the exclusively Eurocentric perspective offered there as well.

Well, people would also have to recognize that Thanksgiving became a nationalized holiday by President Lincoln during the Civil War. There's more to Thanksgiving in the context of American history than just Puritan pilgrims giving thanks for landing in America and a bountiful harvest (with the help of Native Americans and later exploitation.

I think the meaning of Thanksgiving has become something more personal and people in general celebrate it for the right reasons. People can be thankful for what they have most days, but 1) they do take a lot of things for granted still and 2) families can't always come together more frequently during the year in the spirit of actually celebrating the idea that they're celebrating something together. While public awareness of colonial bigotry and the ongoing persecution of Native Americans later on is a good thing, there is still meaningful value in celebrating Thanksgiving. American government and society are not without their grave historical injustices but that doesn't mean society today can be pinned entirely with the burden of having to be aware of those problems those long ago had burdened on society generations and centuries ago.

It reminds me of a debate I had with a Glasgow Celtic fan who defended Celtic fans' protests of Remembrance Day. In the UK, Remembrance Day is the exact equivalent to Veterans Day in the US and was meant to honor veterans of World War I. Eventually that came to include veterans of World War II and subsequent/ongoing wars, just like Veterans Day. Celtic fans tend to have staunch Irish Republican views and they see hypocrisy in celebrating the day (have to remember the Irish War of Independence happened after the WWI Armistice). While there's no excuse for the British Army's past atrocities against Ireland over many, many years, what Celtic fans and die-hard Irish Republicans can't see, is that the day was created in the spirit of honoring those veterans who did the greater good in both world wars and in later wars, where they just plain lost their lives for king/queen and country. One can't just lump atrocities on one front with those soldiers who actually did what was best. Awareness is good, but it doesn't take away the true meaning in good faith of celebrating such a holiday.

Oh and I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I'm tired, full, and I don't want to roast a turkey next year. !+)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dAnzac » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:40 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Uh oh, turkey rage. :-b

Poor Neato:

Yessssssssssssssss :-b

Also:

Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:32 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:I'm one of those people that doesn't set aside a single day to be thankful for my circumstances, and I make an effort to actually act on it 365 days a year. This holiday is less of a black mark on my soul and more of a joke; its roots are just a bonus. No, seriously, why can't we just get rid of Thanksgiving's connections to this Pocahontas crap when it's nine parts myth to one part truth? Why can't we celebrate togetherness without disguising a 500-year slaughter as peaceful unity?

I'm one of those people as well, and I'd venture a guess that a lot more people are just like us. Sure, some take everything for granted, but not all. Wouldn't bother me if we got rid of Thanksgiving, I don't need it in order to remember to be thankful.

Between the rest of that quote and this:

Neato Torpedo wrote:I just think it's detrimental to progress if people don't recognize history and continue to view Native Americans as parasites and trash instead of cultures that were on the ass end of five centuries of persecution. I have the same qualms about Columbus Day, actually, and the exclusively Eurocentric perspective offered there as well.

Where do you live that Native Americans are treated so poorly? I've never once heard of a Native American referred to as a "parasite" or "trash" in my entire life. 8-o

Frankly I love Native Americans. It's because of them I can drive 1 hour to gamble. :-D Yeah, I was trying to lighten the mood a little, sorry, I just don't see the need to try to make everyone feel bad for something that happened long before any of us were born.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Only on the internet...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 839)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote: No, seriously, why can't we just get rid of Thanksgiving's connections to this Pocahontas crap

Well for one thing, my boss says "no Indians, no buckles on the shoes, no pumpkins, no silly hats, no turkeys, NO DAY OFF. :^
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:35 pm

no need to get in to all of this. Mad, thanks for the wishful sentiments. I am thankful for the fact that I only have one minor wound on my hand after reluctantly agreeing to carve the turkey.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 406)

Previous

Return to General Talk