Aubrey Huff Re-Signs with Ginats - 2yr/$22MM - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aubrey Huff Re-Signs with Ginats - 2yr/$22MM

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aubrey Huff Re-Signs with Ginats - 2yr/$22MM

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Link

The San Francisco Giants have agreed to a two-year, $22 million contract with free-agent first baseman Aubrey Huff.

Huff receives $10 million in each of the next two seasons under the deal, and the Giants have a $10 million club option for 2013 with a $2 million buyout.

''He was an integral part in the team's success last season, not only with his outstanding play in the field, but also providing a great clubhouse presence,'' general manager Brian Sabean said in a statement.

Huff led the world champions in home runs (26) and RBIs (86) this year while batting .290. While he spent time in both outfield corners, first base was his position for a majority of the team’s games.

He made it clear he wanted to return to San Francisco, and the Giants said they wanted to keep him around — so, no surprise something got done quickly, less than a month after the club beat the Texas Rangers in five games to capture the city's first championship since the Giants moved West in 1958.

''You'd be an idiot not to want to come back here. I love it,'' Huff said at the ballpark after the team's victory parade Nov. 3.

While Huff and Freddy Sanchez will return at first and second base, respectively, the left side of the San Francisco infield remains unsettled. Juan Uribe and Edgar Renteria — who started at third base and shortstop during the World Series — remain unsigned.

There is talk that another team had offered Huff this money and Sabean was allowed to match it because Huff wanted to stay in SF.

I think they have overpaid here, but that was somewhat expected.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Aubrey Huff Re-Signs with Ginats - 2yr/$22MM

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:51 pm

meh, it's probably a little bit of an overpay, but Huff wanted a 3 year deal and the Giants paid a little more to keep it two years. The giants have control of the third year and the fact that it's spread out as 10/10/2 instead of 11/11 gives them a little more flexibility in 2011/2012. He has some positional flexibility, so they can always move him to LF if Belt proves he's ready to take over first base and he really only needs to pull in a couple 2-3 WAR seasons to be worth the price.

there's always the chance that he could revert to his 2009 self, but seeing as how he was a big part in bringing us a world series championship, i'm ok with a bit of an overpay.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:56 pm

hmmm so which team wanted to give him that money?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Bad news for Brandon Belt, unless they plan on having him play the outfield :-t
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:39 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:Bad news for Brandon Belt, unless they plan on having him play the outfield :-t

Huff can play the outfield.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dAnzac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

I think this is a pretty stupid deal if he's playing 1B. There are a myriad of options out there for cheaper deals.

The risk of bust is too great for $22mil......2 of his last 4 years have been horrendous, if he has another similar in 2011, he'll join the comedy sensation of the "LOLSabean Free Agent Signing Troupe" starring Aaron Rowand and Barry Zito. :-b
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 am

dAnzac wrote:I think this is a pretty stupid deal if he's playing 1B. There are a myriad of options out there for cheaper deals.

The risk of bust is too great for $22mil......2 of his last 4 years have been horrendous, if he has another similar in 2011, he'll join the comedy sensation of the "LOLSabean Free Agent Signing Troupe" starring Aaron Rowand and Barry Zito. :-b

again, he can play outfield and i assume he'll move there once belt is up. there really aren't many better first base options out there and it's only a 2 year deal. it's a bit of an overpay, but now that he's is in the NL i think it's a pretty safe bet that he'll put up at least 4 WAR in the next two seasons which would make it close to a break even contract.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:22 am

He had good seasons in 2008 and 2010. I guess they just have to pray they don't end up with a 2009. I bet nobody would have thought he'd be right alongside Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Adrian Gonzalez, and Adam Dunn this season. Doubtful it happens again, but hey, what $22M these days?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Return to Baseball Leftovers