Victor Martinez Close to Signing with Tigers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Victor Martinez Close to Signing with Tigers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Victor Martinez Close to Signing with Tigers

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:15 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Verminator wrote:FROM A FANTASY PERSPECTIVE... great deal for a dude who will primarily DH but QUALIFY for catcher.

I disagree.

Splits last year,
.951/.741 home/road ops.

Career
Fenway .900
Comerica .671

The home/road OPS was flipped in 2009. 774/925. But still, this is a lot of money for somebody who is a huge defensive liability and really not that great a hitter. Then again, it's only $1M more than Aubrey Huff got. I'm sure as a full time 1B, with his talent, he'd be twice the hitter Huff is.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Victor Martinez Close to Signing with Tigers

Postby MTUCache » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:46 am

Wow... a mildly positive Drew Sharp article. That's more surprising than any other news here...

Anyway. As a Tigers fan, I'm not a big supporter of this move. It could work out well, depending on what happens to the rest of our lineup, but tying up our DH spot with a player who would otherwise be a defensive liability is a risk. Dunn is a similar risk (as he would have been platooning in the OF), but not nearly as much of a liability in the field as VMart.

To me this just sounds like the final nail in the coffin of Magglio and Guillen. Neither of those guys is going to survive a full season in the OF. DHing them at least two days per week would be necessary to keep them in the lineup everyday. That obviously is no longer going to happen.

On top of that, this now essentially takes us out of the Dunn race, unless we're willing to give him an everyday spot in LF. And now we basically still need to go out and find a #3 catcher to stash in the organization who could replace Avila as the "everyday" catcher if he goes down. I cringe at the idea of VMart behind the plate for more than 20 games...
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers